Children unprepared for school

54 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Depopulation, especially a lack of working age people is a huge issue.

https://geographyfieldwork.com/BritainPopulationTimebomb.htm

I don’t have it to hand but I remember reading an article a while back about falling birth rates in places like the UK and Japan meaning we’re fucked.

I don't think we can rely on the current crop of crayon eating infants to keep us safe in our old age.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Depopulation, especially a lack of working age people is a huge issue.

https://geographyfieldwork.com/BritainPopulationTimebomb.htm

I don’t have it to hand but I remember reading an article a while back about falling birth rates in places like the UK and Japan meaning we’re fucked.

Aye we'll only be able to  manage 3 each of barbers, tattoo parlours, beauty salons, nail bars, coffee shops and bookies per town centre instead of 6. Emails and meetings will fall to catastrophic lows. You'll only receive four spam phone calls a week. It'll take over an hour to get a McDonalds delivered. 

Whatever will we do?

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Aye we'll only be able to  manage 3 each of barbers, tattoo parlours, beauty salons, nail bars, coffee shops and bookies per town centre instead of 6. Emails and meetings will fall to catastrophic lows. You'll only receive four spam phone calls a week. It'll take over an hour to get a McDonalds delivered. 

Whatever will we do?

It's not about services. Pensions and care are funded from current taxation. Fewer workers means less tax. 

The obvious answer is to allow more immigration to equalise the distribution with countries with excess young people. 

Apparently that's bad for our way of life because foreign people don't jizz over poppies and the queen so is politically inexpedient. 

So we've decided to let tensions build and wait for society to fail even more. As much as i enjoyed robocop 2, i'm not sure i want to live in it. 

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

It's not about services. Pensions and care are funded from current taxation. Fewer workers means less tax. 

The obvious answer is to allow more immigration to equalise the distribution with countries with excess young people. 

Apparently that's bad for our way of life because foreign people don't jizz over poppies and the queen so is politically inexpedient. 

So we've decided to let tensions build and wait for society to fail even more. As much as i enjoyed robocop 2, i'm not sure i want to live in it. 

Tax and spending is just a way of allocating real resources. Every single pound of wages, taxation and public spending originated with a keystroke from the Treasury or BoE. 

In real terms a nail bar or tattoo studio is contributing nothing to the economy regardless of paying tax. It's simply the circulation of money that the government created anyway.

In the UK I doubt even 30% of workers are productive or essential. Beyond that there are millions of people who are economically inactive. Talking about a potential labour shortage under these conditions is idiotic. If there are labour shortages then we simply need intervention to make productive/essential labour more rewarding and non essential and non productive labour less rewarding. 

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I was the same with my kids.

We very rarely had anyone baby-sit them. They came with us everywhere and were actively included in everything we did. We had kids to have a family and share experiences together and that's exactly what we did. Not saying people shouldn't have a break from their kids or that others should copy what we did but it's shocking to see so many parents treat their kids like inconveniences. Begs the question why they bothered having them.

When my kids were younger they spent every Friday night with my parents. Allowed me and the wife to do something just ourselves, and my kids now have a great relationship with their grandparents. 

On 13/06/2022 at 09:56, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Bringing you child to school in shopping trolley?

Genius.  

I once arrived at school in a wheelbarrow my big brother acquired from a building site on the way. The shopping trolley sounds fun as well.

12 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't think we can rely on the current crop of crayon eating infants to keep us safe in our old age.

That may be exactly who you will be relying on.

Just let that sink in.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That may be exactly who you will be relying on.

Just let that sink in.

A future communication

Ded soz you got canser☹️ Ah menti geti see ye, bt ad nae muny fora bus😡. See ye in a copla muhns...mibbe.

Prof of Oncology.

Obviously people will link stuff to benefits and all that but I’ve seen some of the behaviours described in the article and this thread from parents who are very well off.

• 2 weeks later...

Our sires’ ages was worse than our grandsires’. We, their sons, are more corrupt than they; so in turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.

Not my words, the words of Horace in c20BC. Obviously not as good as Horace Goes Skiing.

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, abievoller7 said:

It's heartbreaking to think that children are arriving at school without the basic skills they need to succeed. It's difficult to pinpoint the cause of this phenomenon, but perhaps it's a reflection of the current state of the world and the lack of resources available to some families. Whatever the case, it's really important that we all make an effort to support children, both in and out of the classroom.

15e42293-2861-4045-9881-14078ee19e09_text.gif.dc7940ad44e08796c7c90a7b62753779.gif