Children unprepared for school

Just now, velo army said:

I bet her knickers absolutely flew off when you whispered that in her ear m9.

You would be wrong sadly, never saw her again.

Think we split a decent meal at the Inn at a park so not a total loss (well, maybe for her).

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Young kid going for a shite in a B&Q display toilet when his sister said "aye, go ahead" is one thing, but FFS - the mum putting that on Facebook for millions to laugh at him, stupid mare..............

You don't think like the social media and fame hungry generations though who see every situation as a chance to get 'likes' or exploit. Sane people think this is embarrassing and you should be ashamed and offering to clean up, however this is a doorway to minor celebrity and 15 mins of fame. It's the sort of shite that will make it onto daytime TV yet.........

Society will have its excuses for this but it's just lazy parenting. As a dad of 2 young kids (4 & 2 years old) we do reading a book every night (pretty much since they were born), try avoid giving them much screen time - TV or tablets in favour of interactive toys such as numbers, spelling, alphabet along with puzzles (jigsaws etc). But from dealings with other parents of similar kids we are a minority, there are stay at home mum's, benefit parents etc even those during Covid on furlogh who state they dont have time for things like that so its 'easier' to let kids watch TV, DVD, Xbox etc all while they do the same but in a different room.

So many have attitudes that reading, writing, counting, alphabet even toilet training is the responsibility of the schools - there are even kids heading out of nursery into P1 with dummies and can barely talk. Its shocking but accepted and the media and health care professionals normalise it by stepping back and stating 'all children progress differently' therefore giving parents and out and justification for not bothering.

Its sad to see and for proactive parents like myself, I genuinely worry my child's development will SLOW down at school. The eldest can already count to 30, knows the alphabet, can write his name and starting be more interested in reading and spelling words etc. Next year when he enters P1, its likely he will be shoved in a corner with the other more able kids and left to 'get on with it' while the majority of teaching attention goes on those who's parents don't bother then mask it with 'perhaps little Timmy is just less able or has learning difficulties' and similar bull-shittery.

Apologies, very ranty but to summarise - too many modern parents are lazy selfish c***s more interested in their own lives than the kids which goes through all facets of life from nutrition, to self care and into education.

16 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Society will have its excuses for this but it's just lazy parenting. As a dad of 2 young kids (4 & 2 years old) we do reading a book every night (pretty much since they were born), try avoid giving them much screen time - TV or tablets in favour of interactive toys such as numbers, spelling, alphabet along with puzzles (jigsaws etc). But from dealings with other parents of similar kids we are a minority, there are stay at home mum's, benefit parents etc even those during Covid on furlogh who state they dont have time for things like that so its 'easier' to let kids watch TV, DVD, Xbox etc all while they do the same but in a different room.

So many have attitudes that reading, writing, counting, alphabet even toilet training is the responsibility of the schools - there are even kids heading out of nursery into P1 with dummies and can barely talk. Its shocking but accepted and the media and health care professionals normalise it by stepping back and stating 'all children progress differently' therefore giving parents and out and justification for not bothering.

Its sad to see and for proactive parents like myself, I genuinely worry my child's development will SLOW down at school. The eldest can already count to 30, knows the alphabet, can write his name and starting be more interested in reading and spelling words etc. Next year when he enters P1, its likely he will be shoved in a corner with the other more able kids and left to 'get on with it' while the majority of teaching attention goes on those who's parents don't bother then mask it with 'perhaps little Timmy is just less able or has learning difficulties' and similar bull-shittery.

Apologies, very ranty but to summarise - too many modern parents are lazy selfish c***s more interested in their own lives than the kids which goes through all facets of life from nutrition, to self care and into education.

4 minutes ago, moniton said:

My 3 point guide to being a good parent : (1) Spend quality time with them; (2) Read to/with them; (3) Don't be an arsehole.

I'm on board with 1) and 2) but i do struggle with 3)

On 13/06/2022 at 10:13, BFTD said:

I don't know if this is an unfair criticism or not, but I've seen a fair number of parents treating their kids like shopping, or another item that they have to drag around with them while living their lives. 

I think this is absolutely bang on the money, I've seen this too. People treating a child as a thing to have and own, using them as a piece of social capital and an extension of themselves, utter narcissism. It makes me wonder why they have them in the first place as all they seem to do is moan about the inconvenience of it all and can't wait to palm them off to nursery/school/grandparents. 

It's the society we live in I guess, where what you have is seen as more important than what you are. Kids to some are just a commodity, something to acquire as you go through life. Where the main thing is to be seen to be having something as opposed to just having it. Facebook and social media shite has really amplified it.

Edited by ParsJake
A missing word. Can't have that...

4 hours ago, ParsJake said:

I think this is absolutely bang on the money, I've seen this too. People treating a child as a thing to have and own, using them as a piece of social capital and an extension of themselves, utter narcissism. It makes me wonder why they have them in the first place as all they seem to do is moan about the inconvenience of it all and can't wait to palm them off to nursery/school/grandparents. 

It's the society we live in I guess, where what you have is seen as more important than what you are. Kids to some are just a commodity, something to acquire as you go through life. Where the main thing is to be seen to be having something as opposed to just having it. Facebook and social media shite has really amplified it.

I think there's an awful lot of people who'd have been much happier childless.

Hopefully in the future we can get past the pressure people feel to reproduce. The economic necessity to continually expand certainly appears to be ending, if we can just stop a small group of arseholes hogging all the resources.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I think there's an awful lot of people who'd have been much happier childless.

Hopefully in the future we can get past the pressure people feel to reproduce. The economic necessity to continually expand certainly appears to be ending, if we can just stop a small group of arseholes hogging all the resources.

Depopulation, especially a lack of working age people is a huge issue.

https://geographyfieldwork.com/BritainPopulationTimebomb.htm

I don’t have it to hand but I remember reading an article a while back about falling birth rates in places like the UK and Japan meaning we’re fucked.

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Depopulation, especially a lack of working age people is a huge issue.

https://geographyfieldwork.com/BritainPopulationTimebomb.htm

I don’t have it to hand but I remember reading an article a while back about falling birth rates in places like the UK and Japan meaning we’re fucked.

Aye, but it won't be due to a lack of workers in the future - it's the ageing population that's going to kill us in the short term. To get past that hurdle, we're going to need some of that evil redistribution of wealth that's so hated by people who have vast amounts of it.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, but it won't be due to a lack of workers in the future - it's the ageing population that's going to kill us in the short term. To get past that hurdle, we're going to need some of that evil redistribution of wealth that's so hated by people who have vast amounts of it.

Nope.  Birth rate of less than 2.1 means we’re running out of working age people to sustain society.  Redistribution of wealth isn’t fixing that.

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Nope.  Birth rate of less than 2.1 means we’re running out of working age people to sustain society.  Redistribution of wealth isn’t fixing that.

I'm talking about a hundred years from now or more, when automation's continued to put everyone out of work.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm talking about a hundred years from now or more, when automation's continued to put everyone out of work.

That’s been happening since the industrial revolution and hasn’t collapsed society.

We’ll run out of working age people in less than 100 years.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/20/britain-falling-birthrate-covid-pandemic-conservatives-removed-support-for-parents

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That’s been happening since the industrial revolution and hasn’t collapsed society.

We’ll run out of working age people in less than 100 years.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/20/britain-falling-birthrate-covid-pandemic-conservatives-removed-support-for-parents

Ooft, they'll need to get a wriggle on.

Or continue dreaming about life in a dome on Mars. Either/or.