Children unprepared for school

59 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Have to admit I had to Google "excoriated" there.

On the plus side I am fully toilet trained. 

P&B's great for discovering new words. Ten years ago, I primarily communicated by bashing two bricks together.

Congrats on the continence BTW. Enjoy it while it lasts.

33 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

1. How old is yer maw

2. Which school was she at.

No further questions.

She's been retired about ten years, so the kind of thing mentioned in this thread isn't new in the slightest, sadly.

She taught at East End for most of her career before spending a few years in Lossie teaching kids who could hold a pencil and who knew how (and, more importantly, when) to ask for permission to go for a shite. 

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

We were recently on a day trip to Edinburgh and went to a Wetherspoons for lunch as it was the easiest option. We got told as we had children with us there was a two alcohol drink limit per adult. Wasn't an issue for us of course but did make you think that they probably had to introduce rules like that due to the way certain customers would treat the situation.

We were on holiday down south a few years back, got some cracking central accommodation which was excellent in every way - except when we arrived to discover it was right next door to a newly opened Wetherspoons.

We would get up in the morning, look out the living room window and see the chubsters and their kids sitting outside scoffing a full english and a pint of lager at about 10am (kids were obviously on pints of coke or fanta, training their bodies to emulate the parents..............

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

She taught at East End for most of her career before spending a few years in Lossie teaching kids who could hold a pencil and who knew how (and, more importantly, when) to ask for permission to go for a shite. 

East End was no doubt the Lesmurdie mob so no surprise sadly.

12 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

see the chubsters and their kids sitting outside scoffing a full english and a pint of lager at about 10am (kids were obviously on pints of coke or fanta, training their bodies to emulate the parents..............

@throbber

42 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

She's been retired about ten years, so the kind of thing mentioned in this thread isn't new in the slightest, sadly.

Probably had a better grasp of the use of the humble question mark as well. 

I think theres a problem with some people just not being able to parent properly. Ive encountered teenagers who cant use a knife and fork properly and kids who have basically never been told no in their life. Its not all ‘poverty’, my parents didn’t have two pennies to rub together for a big part of my childhood but they were wonderful parents. 
I see quite a lot of people I know who had kids and then the kid is almost constantly fobbed off to a grand parent or baby sitter. My wee boy’s 4 and I dont even think we’ve had a week apart from him in total, but that said there’s nothing wrong with a wee night out or away, but you see the same people with kids younger than your own constantly on nights out or pictures in the pub whilst the kids elsewhere and that must have an impact? Especially if its several nights every single week?

4 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Mother was a teacher in a really derelict, abandoned, run-down part of the Third World (Elgin) and lamented long, long ago that bairns would show up to the school completely unprepared for what was expected even of kids in Primary 1 - knowing their name, ability to hold a pencil, basic manners, to be able to know what to do when needing the toilet, and all kinds of other basic shit that I (and most of you lot) are lucky enough to consider as part of Parenting 101. Teachers were expected to do all this shit even then, so it's not new. Maw never mentioned that the bairns weren't fit enough to walk tho, I guess that's a more recent phenomenon caused by The Playstation, etc. 

Depressingly, I saw how this manifested itself in teenagers when I spent three years teaching apprentices. Not the toilet training stuff, they were OK at that. Mostly. 

My Sister in Law told me much the same more than 20 years ago. She taught in a midden. This seems to be an issue now "ordinary" weans are turning up and eating the crayons.

I don't think this is necessarily a modern thing, BTW. My mum occasionally reminisces about her first teaching job back in the '60s at a primary school in darkest Ayrshire. To listen to her, it sounds like half the kids were almost feral, arriving at school without a brush to their hair or food in their belly.

With the benefit of hindsight, I went to school with plenty of kids who clearly got very little attention from their parents. Horrible to think how many kids must grow up feeling like an inconvenience to the people who are supposed to love them.

52 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Is this directed at me.

If it is I’m seething?

It appears no-one is safe from that Australian upward inflection.

There's stories do come up every so often (along with the classic X/10 young adults can cook a basic meal).

It would be interesting to see some analysis to ascertain how it is trending over a longer period of time, although obvioulsy COVID would have been a set back in any era.

I only know teachers socially but very much echo what has been said so far in that it's a tough job, very much lacking in resources or attention. I went on a date with a teacher once who said she had to buy pencils / basic suppliers in the classroom which I thought pretty shocking at the time (but have since learned is quite common).

There will be no one answer, but a lot of reasons why it's happenning and a lot of potential mitigations to fix it. Every member of society benefits when individuals can reach their full potential, if we are creating (or allowing to be created) an underclass in school this will harm all of us. The Net Present Value of investing in education makes it an absolute no brainer.

16 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

This kid asked his sister that very question -

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mortified-dad-given-disgusting-task-27218142

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Young kid going for a shite in a B&Q display toilet when his sister said "aye, go ahead" is one thing, but FFS - the mum putting that on Facebook for millions to laugh at him, stupid mare..............

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Young kid going for a shite in a B&Q display toilet when his sister said "aye, go ahead" is one thing, but FFS - the mum putting that on Facebook for millions to laugh at him, stupid mare..............

Yep...the world we live in nowadays where the 1st thought for most is getting stuff out there.

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I only know teachers socially but very much echo what has been said so far in that it's a tough job, very much lacking in resources or attention. I went on a date with a teacher once who said she had to buy pencils / basic suppliers in the classroom which I thought pretty shocking at the time (but have since learned is quite common).

At my kids school here, they cannot start preschool without being potty trained or at least end stages. 

Also, you have to buy your own school books. None of this sharing a relic from the 80s between two people. You buy own copy books, own stationery etc and you also pay for rentals of reading books at end of the year. 

Parents who receive child tax benefit get additional amounts to cover this, but basically if the kids don't have it, it can be reported. 

The savings from doing this allows classes to have teaching assistants etc to help with kids not grasping the lesson. 

Still a b*****d getting the book list mind you

6 hours ago, Satoshi said:

There's stories do come up every so often (along with the classic X/10 young adults can cook a basic meal).

It would be interesting to see some analysis to ascertain how it is trending over a longer period of time, although obvioulsy COVID would have been a set back in any era.

There will be no one answer, but a lot of reasons why it's happenning and a lot of potential mitigations to fix it. Every member of society benefits when individuals can reach their full potential, if we are creating (or allowing to be created) an underclass in school this will harm all of us. The Net Present Value of investing in education makes it an absolute no brainer.

I bet her knickers absolutely flew off when you whispered that in her ear m9.