Children unprepared for school

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We took our daughter to the pub for a lunch when she was like 3 days old, she slept through the whole thing apart from needing fed once. Don't really see much issue in taking her to a pub quiz unless it was in an old man dive bar.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They're going to be asleep pretty much all the time at that age - you basically just feed them every time they wake up and that's them away again. As long as they were being fed and having their nappy changed I'm not sure I'd see it as a huge deal.

I think ours would have been about that age when we had to go and register her, and we went out for lunch after it. Not sure it's really that different to sitting in a pub for a couple of hours (unless the pub was particularly rowdy).

^^^ part of the problem

The only thing that should be allowed in a pub that isn't of legal drinking age is a (well-behaved) dug. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

They're going to be asleep pretty much all the time at that age - you basically just feed them every time they wake up and that's them away again. As long as they were being fed and having their nappy changed I'm not sure I'd see it as a huge deal.

I think ours would have been about that age when we had to go and register her, and we went out for lunch after it. Not sure it's really that different to sitting in a pub for a couple of hours (unless the pub was particularly rowdy).

Huge difference between the pub at lunchtime (OK) and at an evening pub quiz (not OK, baby should be in a bedtime routine from about 6.30pm onwards). IMO.

8 minutes ago, printer said:

Huge difference between the pub at lunchtime (OK) and at an evening pub quiz (not OK, baby should be in a bedtime routine from about 6.30pm onwards). IMO.

A 5 day old baby is not in a bedtime routine.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

We took our daughter to the pub for a lunch when she was like 3 days old, she slept through the whole thing apart from needing fed once. Don't really see much issue in taking her to a pub quiz unless it was in an old man dive bar.

Going to American cinemas can be a hoot due to the fact that their top mainstream cinema rating is R, which is roughly our equivalent of an 18 certificate, only the rule there is that anyone under the age of 17 can be admitted so long as they're accompanied by an adult. So you regularly get people who bring their very young children along to SlaughterDeathMassacre XIV because they couldn't afford/be arsed to get a babysitter, and FREEDOM!

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Not very relevant in this thread but a guy and his missus brought their 5 day old child to the boozer a couple of fridays ago for the pub quiz, is it just me or is this mentalist behaviour?

If only the McCanns had copied that couple's behaviour.. It's pretty standard in most of Southern Europe to take your kids out at night, even newborns.

We were recently on a day trip to Edinburgh and went to a Wetherspoons for lunch as it was the easiest option. We got told as we had children with us there was a two alcohol drink limit per adult. Wasn't an issue for us of course but did make you think that they probably had to introduce rules like that due to the way certain customers would treat the situation.

1 minute ago, NorthernLights said:

We were recently on a day trip to Edinburgh and went to a Wetherspoons for lunch as it was the easiest option. We got told as we had children with us there was a two alcohol drink limit per adult. Wasn't an issue for us of course but did make you think that they probably had to introduce rules like that due to the way certain customers would treat the situation.

@throbber

A 5 day old in the pub is infinitely preferable to a 5 year old.

Incidentally, whats the rules around kids in pubs these days anyway? My oldest is planning on coming to most of the Falkirk games I go to next season, I would quite like to do one or two on the train, and clearly, would like to take the chance of visiting a licensed premises or two....

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

I got excoriated when our son started nursery at three, as he was still in nappies. Thankfully he was ready to move over to a potty, so it was sorted out within a couple of weeks. I don't know what they'd have done if he'd started primary wearing them, but I think there'd probably have been involvement from social services.

I don't know if this is an unfair criticism or not, but I've seen a fair number of parents treating their kids like shopping, or another item that they have to drag around with them while living their lives. It just makes me sad, as mine was endlessly fascinating to me. Still is, although he doesn't appreciate me constantly nattering to him about what we're doing anymore. I do appear to have trained him that blowing raspberries is hilarious at any age, however.

Have to admit I had to Google "excoriated" there.

On the plus side I am fully toilet trained. 

Mother was a teacher in a really derelict, abandoned, run-down part of the Third World (Elgin) and lamented long, long ago that bairns would show up to the school completely unprepared for what was expected even of kids in Primary 1 - knowing their name, ability to hold a pencil, basic manners, to be able to know what to do when needing the toilet, and all kinds of other basic shit that I (and most of you lot) are lucky enough to consider as part of Parenting 101. Teachers were expected to do all this shit even then, so it's not new. Maw never mentioned that the bairns weren't fit enough to walk tho, I guess that's a more recent phenomenon caused by The Playstation, etc. 

Depressingly, I saw how this manifested itself in teenagers when I spent three years teaching apprentices. Not the toilet training stuff, they were OK at that. Mostly. 

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A 5 day old in the pub is infinitely preferable to a 5 year old.

Incidentally, whats the rules around kids in pubs these days anyway? My oldest is planning on coming to most of the Falkirk games I go to next season, I would quite like to do one or two on the train, and clearly, would like to take the chance of visiting a licensed premises or two....

083006755-e1536668-110d-44e9-8477-5961db

47 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Mother was a teacher in a really derelict, abandoned, run-down part of the Third World (Elgin) and lamented long, long ago that bairns would show up to the school completely unprepared for what was expected even of kids in Primary 1 - knowing their name, ability to hold a pencil, basic manners, to be able to know what to do when needing the toilet, and all kinds of other basic shit that I (and most of you lot) are lucky enough to consider as part of Parenting 101. Teachers were expected to do all this shit even then, so it's not new. Maw never mentioned that the bairns weren't fit enough to walk tho, I guess that's a more recent phenomenon caused by The Playstation, etc. 

Depressingly, I saw how this manifested itself in teenagers when I spent three years teaching apprentices. Not the toilet training stuff, they were OK at that. Mostly. 

1. How old is yer maw

2. Which school was she at.

No further questions.