Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Relegation showdown at East Peffermill tomorrow. Both clubs encouraged by good results in their last matches - Dalbeattie drawing with Celtic B and Edinburgh University beating Civil Service Strollers. An important match for both considering we don't yet know if 2, 1 or even 0 teams will be relegated. So, mibbees meaningful, mibbees not. Either way, both teams will want to win this one.

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Relegation showdown at East Peffermill tomorrow. Both clubs encouraged by good results in their last matches - Dalbeattie drawing with Celtic B and Edinburgh University beating Civil Service Strollers. An important match for both considering we don't yet know if 2, 1 or even 0 teams will be relegated. So, mibbees meaningful, mibbees not. Either way, both teams will want to win this one.

Yeah could be a cracker, would love to have gone but can’t be at two games at once.

I’m not fooled by Dalbeattie taking a point from a weak Celtic, I think their other recent results are more realistic of their current form. That being said it might give them a bit of confidence, but I’m going for a Uni win.

54 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I'm torn between this game and Tranent v Spartans. The league is gone for Tranent now, but it will still be a good game I'm sure. But Edinburgh Uni v Dalbeattie is huge. Well, as you say, it might be...

4 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Yeah could be a cracker, would love to have gone but can’t be at two games at once.

I’m not fooled by Dalbeattie taking a point from a weak Celtic, I think their other recent results are more realistic of their current form. That being said it might give them a bit of confidence, but I’m going for a Uni win.

Having seen both I would say Uni are better, that's them jinxed then😀

28 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Never seen your midweek result coming so you never know.

Nobody seen that result coming, they dug the comeback out from somewhere, nobody knows where.  Still seems to be  life in the old dog yet.  Mon the Star⭐

I know I will get pelters for this.

What is the scenario by which Star can 'escape' relegation. After Elgin going bottom of SPFL 2 was trying to work it out but stupidity got the better of me.

Think it was @FairWeatherFan who put up the chart, probably got that wrong too. 🤪🤪🤪

3 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

What is the scenario by which Star can 'escape' relegation. After Elgin going bottom of SPFL 2 was trying to work it out but stupidity got the better of me.

Think it was @FairWeatherFan who put up the chart, probably got that wrong too. 🤪🤪🤪

Elgin City relegated + Spartans promoted = no relegation from the Lowland League.

That's it, assuming Dalbeattie don't perform a miracle to move off the bottom.

18 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I've posted it at least once myself - here you go.

image.thumb.png.2173b9a174abaeef9a9fca864fca518b.png

10 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Thank you to both @FairWeatherFan and @Ranaldo Bairn. I think that like others probably just presumed it was either Rose or the Albion who would finish as Club42 so didn't commit to memory if Elgin were bottom.

If it happens, it's one of those things that should absolutely shame the LL. Of course there's still enough brass necks in there that the rule would continue.

Can't even argue that it's the way it's always been. With all those uppity newcomers thinking they are entitled to everything on a plate. The original rules had bottom club re-applying for the vacancy created, once Selkirk went bust the LL changed it.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

19 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Elgin City relegated + Spartans promoted = no relegation from the Lowland League.

That's it, assuming Dalbeattie don't perform a miracle to move off the bottom.

Right time to open up that particular can o worms again.

I like the Star, live a short drive away and would love for them to stay in LL land; but if this happens it really, in my view, makes an absolute mockery of the pyramid.

LL land really needs to sort itself out with regards relegation from and promotion to itself. There are more than enough traditional clubs in its ranks for someone to stick their head above the parapet and call this out.

Whomever finishing bottom at the very least have to play a play off game, there should never ever be a get out of jail free scenario.

Football integrity always 2nd best behind self preservation.

Who would you promote alongside Linlithgow this season? 

Beith win WoS and Newtown Stewart the highest SoS club a lowly 6th... 

Sauchie and Darvel/Talbot Playoff? 

There's a lot more to sort out than just jettison a team out the LL 

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

Who would you promote alongside Linlithgow this season? 

Beith win WoS and Newtown Stewart the highest SoS club a lowly 6th... 

Sauchie and Darvel/Talbot Playoff? 

There's a lot more to sort out than just jettison a team out the LL 

The old process was by application. Something they've had plenty experience at dealing with, and most recently were set to advertise back in 2019. I've no idea who would be promoted, in part because I don't know who would apply.

If they aren't willing to open up to more dramatic changes it's simple enough to say 2nd-3rd in LL Playoff would get priority on vacancies. Most season's there would be a 2nd licenced champion. After that it's application.

50 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Right time to open up that particular can o worms again.

I like the Star, live a short drive away and would love for them to stay in LL land; but if this happens it really, in my view, makes an absolute mockery of the pyramid.

LL land really needs to sort itself out with regards relegation from and promotion to itself. There are more than enough traditional clubs in its ranks for someone to stick their head above the parapet and call this out.

Whomever finishing bottom at the very least have to play a play off game, there should never ever be a get out of jail free scenario.

Football integrity always 2nd best behind self preservation.

Tell the SPFL that.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If it happens, it's one of those things that should absolutely shame the LL. Of course there's still enough brass necks in there that the rule would continue.

Can't even argue that it's the way it's always been. With all those uppity newcomers thinking their entitled to everything on a plate. The original rules had bottom club re-applying for the vacancy created, once Selkirk went bust the LL changed it.

A blow torch wouldn't give the LL a brass neck.

I take it naebody wants to wish Spartans their best wishes in being the best of the rest champion club and represent the LL in the actual play offs. 

Hopefully they can stick it right up the B teams and finish the job. 

I see they're at home 1st. Bonnyrigg were last year. 

Is it a toss of coin for who gets what?