Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Anybody know the order of the LL/HL playoff games this season? The LL website has  LL v HL first but that would be a repeat of last season. The SPFL site doesn’t say either way. I think it has been year about, up till now, but not sure.

35 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Anybody know the order of the LL/HL playoff games this season? The LL website has  LL v HL first but that would be a repeat of last season. The SPFL site doesn’t say either way. I think it has been year about, up till now, but not sure.

Read somewhere the draw was done recently (by Maxwell I think) and for the first leg the LL side will be the home team.

47 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The SLFL Constitution and Rules at Annex 1 has all the playoff arrangements.   They state that the SFA do a draw to sort out which team gets to pick the order of the two legged tie.

32 minutes ago, Scuzz said:

Read somewhere the draw was done recently (by Maxwell I think) and for the first leg the LL side will be the home team.

Cheers. Ah well I’m out as Deborah Meaden would say. The first leg clashes with ICT v Falkirk and I’ve got a family thing on Saturday night the next week so not trailing up to Brechin or Buckie.

On 03/04/2023 at 00:03, Ray Patterson said:

Avoid defeat next weekend against Tranent (A), and win their two remaining matches against Cowdenbeath (H) and Berwick (A) and that's the league title for Spartans, and a HAHAHAHHAHAA from all football fans toward the Old Firm

Unfortunately not. I reckon Celtic B will win there remaining 3 matches. 
Dalbeattie, Caledonian Braves then a final match against East Stirling. They will collect maximum points from that. They currently have a better GD than Spartans who I cannot see collecting maximum points from there reaming fixtures anyway.

As you mentioned, Spartans have a tough one away to Tranent on Saturday. 

Without the B teams, this could have been the title decider. With Tranent v Stirling uni the following week. 

Instead, all we will hear about in the media is how the B teams should get a chance of going up to L2 due to Celtic winning it. 

On 04/04/2023 at 19:36, Connor7 said:

Unfortunately not. I reckon Celtic B will win there remaining 3 matches. 
Dalbeattie, Caledonian Braves then a final match against East Stirling. They will collect maximum points from that.

Failed at the first hurdle.

Stirling Uni 5-2 Tranent in the other game of consequence tonight. Tranent are effectively out of the title race now. 8 points behind Spartans with same games played.

image.png.e6cde32cb1f1c21c88b69361d4d0be3d.png

Edited by FairWeatherFan

10 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Failed at the first hurdle.

Stirling Uni 5-2 Tranent in the other game of consequence tonight. Tranent are effectively out of the title race now. 8 points behind Spartans with same games played.

33 72pts Spartans

34 70pts Celtic B

33 68pts Rangers B

34 68pts Stirling University

Great result for Spartans. Not sure many people would have seen that coming. 

Fingers crossed they can get the job done and stick it to the B teams. 

What a great season Stirling Uni have had as well. Reaching the fourth round of the cup and still in the title race with a few games to go. 

20 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Anyone know the standard of the team Celtic put out at Dalbeattie, presumably not a very strong one?  Edinburgh Uni probably not too impressed, especially if that point comes back to bite them.

They made 6 changes from their game against Rangers B on Sunday

3 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

They made 6 changes from their game against Rangers B on Sunday

Thanks. Despite a lot of changes you would really expect them to sweep aside a very poor Dalbeattie team who have lost 1-7 and 0-6 in their previous two home games.

19 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Thanks. Despite a lot of changes you would really expect them to sweep aside a very poor Dalbeattie team who have lost 1-7 and 0-6 in their previous two home games.

Absolutely agree, it definitely falls under the “shock result” category.

This is one (of many) issues with the Colt Teams, is that due to their other commitments (First XI, Youth Internationals, UEFA Youth League, Glasgow Cup) the quality of their Starting XI can vary massively from a team full of players that have played at first team level, to effectively an U18 side, and it makes a total mockery of the league as a result.

The fact is that Dalbeattie could escape relegation because Celtic aren't bothered seems particularly unfair.

1 hour ago, LowerLeagueFC said:

is this seen as bad? or only bad when a B team makes 8 changes?

It's become standard for clubs to play weakened teams in cup competitions. I doubt many could tell you what cup they were even playing in.

I noticed that the SCC date against Braves was announced last week. Semi final of the largest non-league cup competition, played on a Tuesday night. Unless it's the Scottish Cup, a lot of teams don't care until it's the final. Even then that's a stretch to say they care.

12 hours ago, Connor7 said:

Great result for Spartans. Not sure many people would have seen that coming. 

Fingers crossed they can get the job done and stick it to the B teams. 

What a great season Stirling Uni have had as well. Reaching the fourth round of the cup and still in the title race with a few games to go. 

And winning the British Universities league aswell!