Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If you believe the Darvel manager the blazers at the SFA & SPFL are plotting SPFL3. 

He also said Maxwell’s pyramid blueprint would be circulated by end of Feb.

Rumour is SPFL3 in 23/24 with Colts, LL and HL Clubs. That would mean next season with Colts again in the lead up.  Can’t see it getting past SPFL Clubs but Maxwell will just shrug his shoulders and say he tried.

He did his job last season which was to get Colts in LL. 

On 20/02/2023 at 17:18, Brazilianlex said:

He also said Maxwell’s pyramid blueprint would be circulated by end of Feb.

Rumour is SPFL3 in 23/24 with Colts, LL and HL Clubs. That would mean next season with Colts again in the lead up.  Can’t see it getting past SPFL Clubs but Maxwell will just shrug his shoulders and say he tried.

He did his job last season which was to get Colts in LL. 

He really is totally incompetent, how he keeps his position is beyond me. I’ll be amazed if they produce anything before the end of the month.

The league is going down to the wire. Spartans/Tranent/Stirling Uni all in with a chance of the play offs. 

Had a look at the fixtures for each team, and not sure who has the best run in to be honest. 

Tranent must beat Spartans and Stirling Uni to have any chance 

I'm surprised to see Bonnyrigg stranded at the bottom of the league, maybe it was one step too far for them. At the current pace, I would fancy the winner of the HL to be the team in pole position, but not sure if Buckie or Brechin will be that team. Should be an interesting play-off when it happens. 

24 minutes ago, Boaby Fisher said:

I'm surprised to see Bonnyrigg stranded at the bottom of the league, maybe it was one step too far for them. At the current pace, I would fancy the winner of the HL to be the team in pole position, but not sure if Buckie or Brechin will be that team. Should be an interesting play-off when it happens. 

Why is there this narrative that the winner of the HL will be fancied rather than the LL representative?

I’ve seen this mentioned a number of times over the course of season, but never seen a clear reason given for that school of thought.

I have absolutely no idea how to judge them, should be a cracker of a tie.

26 minutes ago, Boaby Fisher said:

I'm not surprised by Bonnyrigg they kept too many of last seasons squad, maybe got a false view of L2 by beating a very poor Cowden side in the play off.

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

I have absolutely no idea how to judge them, should be a cracker of a tie.

Having been involved twice, the bottom line is that it has nothing to do with the standard of the LL / HL/ SPFL L2.

It is all down to the quality of each team in the play offs. First time up EK were a step above Cowdenbeath,  but basically poor finishing and losing a penalty shoot out was the difference.  Next time Cove were miles ahead, as has been shown by their progress since. 

I expect the winner of LL/ HL play off to progress,  the standard in L2 is , as always,  poor. If Brechin do win HL , just maybe their experience at higher level might shade it. 

2 hours ago, Boaby Fisher said:

No surprise to see Bonnyrigg at the bottom. I thought they would struggle. We were poor last season and the play-off score flattered them. I am sure the bookies had them as favourites for the title, but that was way off the mark.

Going to be close between them and the Wee Rovers. Advantage definitely with Rovers though. Bonnyrigg only have four home games left and they have to go to Cliftonhill later this month. Lose that and it will be hard to avoid bottom. 

Brechin looked like they might have a decent chance of coming back up, but they are stuttering slightly just now and they have some tough games coming up, Fraserburgh twice, Brora and a possible winner takes all away day to Buckie on the last day of the Highland League campaign.

31 minutes ago, ekok said:

I expect the winner of LL/ HL play off to progress,  the standard in L2 is , as always,  poor. If Brechin do win HL , just maybe their experience at higher level might shade it. 

I would think this is the first clear indication that it isn't as easy of step as expected, and probably for the first time club 42 couldn't be perceived as someone in freefall.   

9 minutes ago, ekok said:

Having been involved twice, the bottom line is that it has nothing to do with the standard of the LL / HL/ SPFL L2.

It is all down to the quality of each team in the play offs. First time up EK were a step above Cowdenbeath,  but basically poor finishing and losing a penalty shoot out was the difference.  Next time Cove were miles ahead, as has been shown by their progress since. 

Agree. Although not the bit about EK. They were not that good against us in the play-offs. I think if they were as good as some think, then they would have made the step up by now.

I thought Cove would have seen us off, but again, they never threatened in the "home" match at Inverurie. They were looking good in the second leg, but good old "Harvest Swann" was on song that day and saved us. He was a really good player when he put the effort in. Then of course Cove lost the plot and it was game over.

I think it is hard to predict this time. The likely teams are all similar in standard. None of them stand out. 

3 hours ago, PELE said:

No surprise to see Bonnyrigg at the bottom. I thought they would struggle. We were poor last season and the play-off score flattered them. I am sure the bookies had them as favourites for the title, but that was way off the mark.

Going to be close between them and the Wee Rovers. Advantage definitely with Rovers though. Bonnyrigg only have four home games left and they have to go to Cliftonhill later this month. Lose that and it will be hard to avoid bottom. 

Brechin looked like they might have a decent chance of coming back up, but they are stuttering slightly just now and they have some tough games coming up, Fraserburgh twice, Brora and a possible winner takes all away day to Buckie on the last day of the Highland League campaign.

Only a matter of time for Albion Rovers ending up in the LL and below.

4 hours ago, PossilYM said:

It will happen eventually like us they have flirted with it over the last few years.

You eventually run of of teams to finish below you.

Similar results this season with Bonnyrigg this season as with us last season which may see them survive for another year.

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

FTFY

Hardly flirted with it over the last few decades they won L2 in 2015 and before that were promoted in 2012.

Our case is well documented but we never flirted with it for the last few decades either.

The only side to do any flirting and were relegated were the Shire, although they had a few shots at the promotion play offs.

Edited by cowdenbeath

11 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Yeah. East Stirlingshire, Berwick, ourselves and Albion Rovers would have been top of most neutrals list for the drop. 3 down, 1 to go.

17 hours ago, ekok said:

Although I would say the Kilby side we played in 17 was you best side to face us we could have easily been 2 up early in the first half.

Also we missed a penalty at K Park.

Just as well we were good at taking penalties and Jamie Sneddon was good at saving them, last thing he done playing for us before moving to Partick.

2 hours ago, PELE said:

Yeah. East Stirlingshire, Berwick, ourselves and Albion Rovers would have been top of most neutrals list for the drop. 3 down, 1 to go.

Aye more or less clubs who would have the least amount of money.

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

Although I would say the Kilby side we played in 17 was you best side to face us we could have easily been 2 up early in the first half.

Also we missed a penalty at K Park.

Ok going to take the bait. How many players did you have on loan from Hearts and was there not some question of extensions beyond original dates ? Yes our keeper saved a penalty in first game, recall a draw was by far the best you could have deserved. We missed good chances, your keeper made good saves. Remember thinking a draw was bad enough,  losing that game would have been an injustice. 

Second game in just about worst rain I can ever remember a game still being played, tbf pitch held up. In last minute of extra time one of your defenders made unbelievable block, looked like a winner all the way. Then as you say your keeper stepped up. 

Treating this as belated therapy for without doubt my worst ever football experience.  Thanks , can move on now!

1 hour ago, ekok said:

Ok going to take the bait. How many players did you have on loan from Hearts and was there not some question of extensions beyond original dates ? Yes our keeper saved a penalty in first game, recall a draw was by far the best you could have deserved. We missed good chances, your keeper made good saves. Remember thinking a draw was bad enough,  losing that game would have been an injustice. 

Second game in just about worst rain I can ever remember a game still being played, tbf pitch held up. In last minute of extra time one of your defenders made unbelievable block, looked like a winner all the way. Then as you say your keeper stepped up. 

Treating this as belated therapy for without doubt my worst ever football experience.  Thanks , can move on now!

We had Lewis Moore and Robbie Buchanan on loan from Hearts at the time. Never heard anything regarding extensions SPFL sides normally had contracts way past play offs incase they were in them.