Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

38 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I have read the LL constitution 're 16 clubs, but can it be changed to 18 akin to the HL. This could 'protect' the present clubs and allow them to introduce a 2 up 2 down system.

Only on a temporary basis. It was something introduced following COVID. The SFA have always said no to 18 on a permanent basis. It's the same thing with the West & East Premiers they've stubbornly stuck to 16.

14 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Only on a temporary basis. It was something introduced following COVID. The SFA have always said no to 18 on a permanent basis. It's the same thing with the West & East Premiers they've stubbornly stuck to 16.

So the intransigence starts at the top, there's a surprise. Am I right in thinking that the SFA's hand in introducing  the pyramid was forced by UEFA laws/lawmakers. If that's the case, then their enthusiasm for it will be the bare minimum and will be proactive in it's impediment.

27 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

So the intransigence starts at the top, there's a surprise. Am I right in thinking that the SFA's hand in introducing  the pyramid was forced by UEFA laws/lawmakers. If that's the case, then their enthusiasm for it will be the bare minimum and will be proactive in it's impediment.

Supposedly.

They've always had something of a hands off, bare minimum approach. Their idea for the pyramid was 10 team Highland/Lowland divisions. With the Highland, EoSFL, SoSFL, SJFA leagues still kept intact underneath. With the idea it would sort itself out over time. Rather than actually start something from scratch. Even after the mass exodus to the EoSFL. The SFA's proposal was Lowland Tier 6 Leagues of EoSFL, SoSFL, West Region, and East Region.

A factor in why they don't want the LL or WoS/EoS Premiers to expand is because they don't want to take on the additional work discipline wise. That's why they were happy to have the SJFA come in and keep fulfilling that role.

On 10/02/2023 at 08:59, Highland ITFC said:

Think I recall earlier in the season seeing a revised league table with the B teams removed & likewise all their results? Is that right, or am I imagining things? If right, would be interesting to see how this would make the table look now as the final run-in nears.

image.thumb.png.ba16d2fc0208f7a83016122aebdf4d8f.png

Stirling University just take the top spot on goal difference at the moment. 4th spot in the SPFL Trust Trophy as switches with OG Broomhill jumping into the spot.

On 29/01/2023 at 11:32, Highland ITFC said:

Brechin need to win the HL first. Looking good at present, but very much still a three-way challenge with Buckie & Brora very much in contention, albeit Buckie letting themselves down with two points dropped yesterday. Brechin still to play both I believe. Buckie-Brora is a big one next Saturday, & any one of the three possible results will have a big say in proceedings. Brechin have the resurgent Nairn the following week. Would be surprised to see Brechin just stroll to the winning post, & reckon as per yesterday's Huntly 1-1 Buckie result, that there will be a hiccup or surprise or two along the way.

Brechin dropping a couple of points yesterday at Nairn, which as I suspected wasn't an easy awayday for them. Buckie back on top. Fraserburgh look to have a head of steam up at present, winning by the single goal at Brora yesterday, who themselves look to have blown their chance yesterday's loss & last week's to Buckie. Whilst it doesn't look like Fraserburgh can challenge for the title, I believe that Brechin still have to play them twice, so they could still have a big say in proceedings. Could be looking at a final day face-off when Brechin travel to Buckie.

On 28/01/2023 at 23:06, Cowdenleith said:

Long way to go and the HL winner may have a say, but how mental would a Bonnyrigg v Tranent play off for a place in League 2 be?

Tranent Juniors and Tranent Colts have announced that they will be merging as Tranent FC.

A very progressive development.

On 11/02/2023 at 10:12, FairWeatherFan said:

A factor in why they don't want the LL or WoS/EoS Premiers to expand is because they don't want to take on the additional work discipline wise. That's why they were happy to have the SJFA come in and keep fulfilling that role.

This has always sounded to me like utter bollocks, the sort of excuse made up to cover some other background reason as to why they don't want something to happen.

3-0 to Shire against Edinburgh Uni tonight at a rainy Falkirk Stadium.

Opening half hour fairly even and as soon as I said the words "are we going to see a 0-0 draw here?" the Uni goalkeeper blocked a shot and the loose ball was stuck in the net. A header and a cracking volley followed to earn Shire the points although the score was a bit flattering. Uni made some chances but wasted them on the whole. They have one or two good players but aren't the force they have been previously and may end up doing a Vale of Leithen next season. 

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

3-0 to Shire against Edinburgh Uni tonight at a rainy Falkirk Stadium.

Opening half hour fairly even and as soon as I said the words "are we going to see a 0-0 draw here?" the Uni goalkeeper blocked a shot and the loose ball was stuck in the net. A header and a cracking volley followed to earn Shire the points although the score was a bit flattering. Uni made some chances but wasted them on the whole. They have one or two good players but aren't the force they have been previously and may end up doing a Vale of Leithen next season. 

While Shire were probably deserved winners, you can see why they are near the bottom end of the table... the only two things worse than the Shire defending were the Uni defending and Tam's chat!

A few Shire players are decent knocking the ball around and they have a little bit of pace going forward, but the first two goals were really the result of weak defending. 

Uni were similar, the main difference being, when they created chances, their forwards didn't have enough about them to take advantage of any space they found.

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.b28cb505d1cb90d0e0d36133a61e1c58.png

image.png.f780cb6324e9df9be736bde913b03fc1.png

It's just hit me how few games are now left but I suppose it is mid-February and of course they have to be finished for the Highland play-off. Down to a three horse race for that play-off?

Edited by stulch

9 minutes ago, stulch said:

It's just hit me how few games are now left but I suppose it is mid-February and of course they have to be finished for the Highland play-off. Down to a three horse race for that play-off?

Was speaking to somebody yesterday who was mentioning about the Lowland League Cup being played in a group stages going into knockout format across April & into May, which would give some more fixtures at the back end of the season. Is that correct?

9 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

When is the vote for allowing Colts into the league for next season? Sure it was around February/March time last year.

If I'm not mistaken, last year's was only at the AGM in May or so?

27 minutes ago, Marten said:

If I'm not mistaken, last year's was only at the AGM in May or so?

Yes, but they had to ask which was in February/March. Then there was the time for applications. Then there was an indicative vote against 3 teams, only for the OF to say all or nothing leading to another vote.

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Yes, but they had to ask which was in February/March. Then there was the time for applications. Then there was an indicative vote against 3 teams, only for the OF to say all or nothing leading to another vote.

A review of the pyramid structure was also promised, this being enough for one team at least to change their opinion. I'm not aware of any start of any review to date and will this be offered again to encourage teams to vote to keep the Bs in the Lowland League?

Just now, John S said:

A review of the pyramid structure was also promised, this being enough for one team at least to change their opinion. I'm not aware of any start of any review to date and will this be offered again to encourage teams to vote to keep the Bs in the Lowland League?

If you believe the Darvel manager the blazers at the SFA & SPFL are plotting SPFL3.