Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm sure they will try. SPFL3 isn't new.

Just the problem of financial redistribution of SPFL funds, and getting enough votes for it.

A ten team league receiving say an average of £40k in merit payments isn't likely to break even the SPFL's bank, particularly with the SPFL's new deal with Sky to come.  It would still be an attractive option for some LL and HL clubs who receive next to nothing at the moment.

A national league below Tier 4 (paying cash) may be an attractive fall back for SPFL L2 clubs. 

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

This has been proposed regularly, and every single time it goes out to clubs the reaction is so negative that it doesn't go to a vote.     

Let's face it, it's coming from the usual source (someone at Rangers) who have their blinkers on the matter. They genuninely think that they can push this through in under a year, because they don't care about all the consequences.

SPFL financial redistribution.

Who gets into SPFL3 beyond the OF B teams?

The knock-on effects to the Highland, Lowland, and Tier 6 leagues that have to fill in the gaps.

B teams in the pyramid as full members.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A ten team league receiving say an average of £40k in merit payments isn't likely to break even the SPFL's bank, particularly with the SPFL's new deal with Sky to come.  It would still be an attractive option for some LL and HL clubs who receive next to nothing at the moment.

A national league below Tier 4 (paying cash) may be an attractive fall back for SPFL L2 clubs. 

Nobody's taking a lower percentage from 3rd-42nd.

3rd-42nd would want a bump if 2 clubs are feeling so generous.

Tier 5 leagues would be looking for automatic promotion, possibly two promotions spots. Which would mean more parachute payments.

38 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was talking to a senior member of Rangers academy staff at the weekend. He understood that if there is no accommodation of the B Teams into the SPFL at tier 4, then a new SPFL league at Tier 5 would be formed for the B Teams and other invited clubs, starting next season.

Yes, I have heard similar. It was always likely to be the outcome after the teams entered the LL.

12 minutes ago, edinabear said:

Yes, I have heard similar. It was always likely to be the outcome after the teams entered the LL.

They always have some stooge to put these stories out.

Imagine if Rangers B won the league their friends in the media would go full tonto wanting them to get a play off spot.

56 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

They always have some stooge to put these stories out.

Imagine if Rangers B won the league their friends in the media would go full tonto wanting them to get a play off spot.

Well it would be in the interests of sporting integrity if the winner of the league was to enter the play off position 

Well it would be in the interests of sporting integrity if the winner of the league was to enter the play off position 
The irony of you talking about sporting integrity... There is no sporting integrity at all in these useless B-teams being in the LL.

1 minute ago, Marten said:
11 minutes ago, edinabear said:

The irony of you talking about sporting integrity... There is no sporting integrity at all in these useless B-teams being in the LL.

Exactly.

12 minutes ago, edinabear said:

You on the windup😀

It was part of the agreement of them getting in that they couldn’t get into the play off.

They shouldn’t be there in the first place.

On 09/10/2022 at 23:11, ekok said:

Hi sorry to burst your  bubble . None of the " Guest Clubs" as they are described in the SLFL Rules are permitted to be classified as Champions,  so they are not eligible to be  put forward to the Pyramid Play Offs. 

I know it's a bore and a bind to quote the rules, but there you are. 

I can imagine there might be a legal challenge from an SPFL club asked to take part in playoffs with a ‘champion' club that couldn’t even win its own league. 

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I can imagine there might be a legal challenge from an SPFL club asked to take part in playoffs with a ‘champion' club that couldn’t even win its own league. 

Given that the SPFL agreed to this I’m not sure any legal challenge would be successful, although it probably wouldn’t stop a team trying. However, the cost of doing so could be prohibitive, especially with the current financial climate.

3 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Kelty Hearts were put forward as champions in 2021/21 despite only 13 games of the season having being played. They didn't win the league either, just had favourable fixtures and a good start. 

I believe Brechin considered legal action but didn't go through with it? 

5 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Kelty Hearts were put forward as champions in 2021/21 despite only 13 games of the season having being played. They didn't win the league either, just had favourable fixtures and a good start. 

I believe Brechin considered legal action but didn't go through with it? 

Before it got that far I think it was the SFA and SPFL that got the rules looked over to see that they stood up legally.

The 13 games / 3 games for Brora has since been amended. A threshold has been set. Part of the changes that saw the HL/LL boundary scrapped. All of which goes back to voting in B teams.

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Rules and Regulations 24-Sep-22 (MASTER COPY) CLEAN.pdf

(f) In the event that one of the SHFL Champion and the SLFL Champion in respect of any Season: (i) fails to comply with the Membership Criteria in circumstances where it is required to do so as the Candidate Club in terms of the SPFL Rules, and the SPFL Board has not granted any waiver, relaxation or period of grace in respect of that club’s requirement to comply with the Membership Criteria; or (ii) has not played at least fifteen (15) matches against the other clubs participating in their respective league during the relevant Season, there will , subject to rule III(k), be no Play-Off Tie in terms of rule III(a) and the Champion Club in the other of the SHFL or SLFL as applicable, will automatically go forward to the Pyramid Play-Off Tie at the end of the relevant Season in terms of rule III(b).

Any team participating in the SHFL and/or in the SLFL, which is a ‘Guest’, ‘colt’, ‘B’ ‘second’, ‘reserve’ or like or equivalent team of a Club participating in the SPFL shall not, under any circumstances, be eligible to receive the title of SHFL Champion and/or SLFL Champion or any other title related to its position in either of said Leagues or qualify for or be eligible for participation in the Pyramid Play-Off Competition at the end of any such Season. In such circumstances, the next best placed club (which is not a ‘Guest’, ‘colt’, ‘B’ ‘second’, ‘reserve’ or like or equivalent team of an SPFL Club) shall be eligible to participate in the Play-Off Tie, subject to Rules III(f), (g) and (k).

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 10/10/2022 at 17:58, Brazilianlex said:

It doesn’t matter that the Lowland League and the SPFL have agreed their rules. Those rules are open to challenge especially since the 42 member Clubs in the SPFL never had the opportunity to vote on the issue. Going by previous disputes such as with Hearts & Partick,  the SFA rules mean that before going to court, the Clubs must go to arbitration for decision by an SFA appointed QC. The Clubs involved also have to have a QC to put their case. An expensive business for the Lowland League “Champions” 
But expect Rangers B to have a convenient slump in form in any case.

Not quite: the SFA appoint an arbitrator, and the two parties can (if they want!) each appoint one. The latter are not there to 'put their case', but to form a tribunal and reach a decision jointly.

And they needn't be QCs, or indeed KCs. Just on the SFA approved list: solicitors, advocates or judges. So maybe a wee bit cheaper!