Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Che Dail said:
Strange... So you're now saying Italy - European champions - their league is 'tinpot'? 
In the name of 'integrity' all these other nations and top clubs and managers have got it wrong.
Meanwhile, Motherwell got put out of Europe by Sligo Rovers.

I'm not sure you know what tinpot means.

tinpot. / (ˈtɪnˌpɒt) / adjective (prenominal) British informal. inferior, cheap, or worthless. paltry; unimportant

I think the Oxford definition is closer to how it's generally used in football: "having or showing poor leadership or organisation".

Last season Vale of Leithen and Fort William were roughly equal levels of utter shite on the field, however one was far more tinpot than the other.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I'm not desperate for anything, just laughing at an East Fife fan calling anything tinpot and then getting towed by Bonnyrigg who've just emerged from said tinpot league.

Don’t think Bonnyrigg are in the tinpot league so I’d be curious to understand what your point actually is.

11 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Don’t think Bonnyrigg are in the tinpot league so I’d be curious to understand what your point actually is.

It’s not him calling it a tinpot league. The person whose team have just been horsed by the newly promoted side was. That’s his point.

Edited by 8MileBU

23 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

It’s not him calling it a tinpot league. The person whose team have just been horsed by the newly promoted side was. That’s his point.

Neither side in that discussion are in the tinpot league is the point that’s sailed over your head and his.

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think the Oxford definition is closer to how it's generally used in football: "having or showing poor leadership or organisation".

Last season Vale of Leithen and Fort William were roughly equal levels of utter shite on the field, however one was far more tinpot than the other.

I don't think the OP ever considered definitions.

When you label a league "tinpot" you're labeling the whole thing, every single part of it, it's clubs, it's players, it's organisation, everything.

It would help that if for the next 9 months people are allowed to discuss the LL without the issue of B teams being - wrongly - admitted dragged into it continually. There's a separate thread for that.

13 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I'm not desperate for anything, just laughing at an East Fife fan calling anything tinpot and then getting towed by Bonnyrigg who've just emerged from said tinpot league.

I've already said the 'tinpot' description has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the sides in it.

When you label a league "tinpot" you're labeling the whole thing, every single part of it, it's clubs, it's players, it's organisation, everything.

What? You've talked a lot of sense in the past but this is nonsense. Someone can be ugly even if they have a perfectly decent left forearm. A league can be tinpot even if there are a handful of well run, respectable clubs in it.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

What? You've talked a lot of sense in the past but this is nonsense. Someone can be ugly even if they have a perfectly decent left forearm. A league can be tinpot even if there are a handful of well run, respectable clubs in it.

tinpot. / (ˈtɪnˌpɒt) / adjective (prenominal) British informal. inferior, cheap, or worthless. paltry; unimportant

That's what you labelled the league as, when you label a league you label everything associated with it. It's pretty clear.

9 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Between them and Ed Uni

Before the season I tipped Edinburgh University. Then opening day the Uni pick up the 3pts down at Dalbeattie with a 1-3 win. Now 4 pts between the two. It's hardly an insurmountable gap, but every point's a prisoner once rooted at the bottom.

I guess you saw a bit of it today.

I'm confused about exactly when you became pro B-teams and a lack of ventilation. These were things you also previously criticised the Lowland League for so I'm not sure why you're leaping to their defence about it now.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm confused about exactly when you became pro B-teams and a lack of ventilation. These were things you also previously criticised the Lowland League for so I'm not sure why you're leaping to their defence about it now.

I'm sorry, at what point did I say I'm pro-B teams and pro-restricted promotion, can you point out where I said that?

The point is - which the usual suspects are deliberately overlooking - is that calling a league "tinpot" kinda encapsulates everything associated with it, inc those clubs who both voted against B teams and restricted promotion.

We can all disagree with the LL actions in that regard (I certainly do), but still have a thread on the LL without mentioning it every 2 seconds, which is the other point.  There's a thread for B team moans.