Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

54 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I take it naebody wants to wish Spartans their best wishes in being the best of the rest champion club and represent the LL in the actual play offs. 

Hopefully they can stick it right up the B teams and finish the job. 

I see they're at home 1st. Bonnyrigg were last year. 

Is it a toss of coin for who gets what? 

Well done Spartans hopefully they go on and get up (at the expense of Elgin) - no offence to Elgin it’s too far away 😀

I think home advantage is alternated?  

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

I take it naebody wants to wish Spartans their best wishes in being the best of the rest champion club and represent the LL in the actual play offs. 

Hopefully they can stick it right up the B teams and finish the job. 

I see they're at home 1st. Bonnyrigg were last year. 

Is it a toss of coin for who gets what? 

A draw takes for the Highland/Lowland portion of the playoff.

image.png.6a0efa6d535a59fee1136214e609bef9.png

It's only the Tier 5 Champion v. Club 42 that's fixed with Club 42 getting home field in the 2nd leg.

I would wish Spartans well if they were celebrating winning the league. They aren't. In fact no seems to be. Despite the rule saying that B teams can't be champions. So it's just a reminder of how diluted an exciting campaign would have been without the B teams. As well as the possibility of top spot still being claimed elsewhere.

image.png.c27cae18689b5998b08c2a427b13e9a8.png

image.png.e9a360577d1e280132cfcd2c172c31e6.png

image.png.cf3c461633264692148b6259bed23cb6.png

16 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Great result for Edinburgh Uni, well done to them, think should have gone to that game today 😬

No you shouldn't have. Rank rotten game. Dalbeattie were terrible. Edinburgh Uni took advantage, dominated the game hit the woodwork 3 times also. Uni keeper never had a save to make.  On that performance Dalbeattie simply don't deserve to be in the Lowland League. League table certainly doesn't lie. 

On a footnote, noticed a game of rugby on in the distance,  it was Boroughmuir v Newton Stewart, over a 100 points scored, should have went to that instead. Was quite impressed with the facility at Peffermill, nothing like that down here.

16 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Great result for Edinburgh Uni, well done to them, think should have gone to that game today 😬

Edinburgh Uni were miles ahead of Dalbeattie, who were shambolic at the back, particularly in the first half. Considering they were the bottom two teams I was surprised how big the gulf was.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

A draw takes for the Highland/Lowland portion of the playoff.

image.png.6a0efa6d535a59fee1136214e609bef9.png

It's only the Tier 5 Champion v. Club 42 that's fixed with Club 42 getting home field in the 2nd leg.

I would wish Spartans well if they were celebrating winning the league. They aren't. In fact no seems to be. Despite the rule saying that B teams can't be champions. So it's just a reminder of how diluted an exciting campaign would have been without the B teams. As well as the possibility of top spot still being claimed elsewhere.

image.png.c27cae18689b5998b08c2a427b13e9a8.png

image.png.e9a360577d1e280132cfcd2c172c31e6.png

image.png.cf3c461633264692148b6259bed23cb6.png

They're still best of the rest champion club representing the LL though. :P

Took in the Cumbernauld-Open Goal 'Battle of Broadwood' game yesterday. First time seeing the latter & they certainly seemed to have the look of an outfit trudging towards season-end, lacking in motivation & spirit other than when showing dissent to the ref, which resulted in something like 4 or 5 of their players being booked, & one sent off for two yellows for said offense. Colts were comfortably the better side, putting themselves on the front foot with an early opener, & then effectively killing the game with the second just before the break.

OG made for a bit of twitchy bum time for their hosts, converting a penalty on the 90th minute to make it 2-1 & then pushing for an equaliser, but to no avail. The only OG player that looked to offer a consistent threat going forward was Broque Watson, & other than him they looked devoid of creativity & ideas in their opponent's half. 

Cumbernauld will be looking to end the season on a high, with Gretna & Dalbeattie being their final two opposition, & if they can keep their squad together going into next season, & do what all sides seek to do in the close season in adding some additional quality, then would say that they have potential to push for something like a top-six place next term.

1 minute ago, Highland ITFC said:

Took in the Cumbernauld-Open Goal 'Battle of Broadwood' game yesterday. First time seeing the latter & they certainly seemed to have the look of an outfit trudging towards season-end, lacking in motivation & spirit other than when showing dissent to the ref, which resulted in something like 4 or 5 of their players being booked, & one sent off for two yellows for said offense. Colts were comfortably the better side, putting themselves on the front foot with an early opener, & then effectively killing the game with the second just before the break.

OG made for a bit of twitchy bum time for their hosts, converting a penalty on the 90th minute to make it 2-1 & then pushing for an equaliser, but to no avail. The only OG player that looked to offer a consistent threat going forward was Broque Watson, & other than him they looked devoid of creativity & ideas in their opponent's half. 

Cumbernauld will be looking to end the season on a high, with Gretna & Dalbeattie being their final two opposition, & if they can keep their squad together going into next season, & do what all sides seek to do in the close season in adding some additional quality, then would say that they have potential to push for something like a top-six place next term.

What was the attendance?

5 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

What was the attendance?

Probably only a couple of hundred. It was Cumbernauld's end-of-season players' family day, so would say that the majority were there for the home side, & didn't hear much obvious support for OG. The teams meet again on the 29th in the first round of the LL Cup, & OG are the home side, so will be interesting to see if there's any difference then.

I, for one, welcome our new Spartans overlords 

The Scottish League needs Bains Bridies!

I haven't seen Brechin but Buckie are a decent team, even if they did struggle yesterday against a stuffy Strathspey Thistle.

15 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You might be able to count the crowd at certain parts of this clip:

Fascinating listening to the football guys.

Trying to work out if they're being diplomatic, chancers or just plain thick.

Edited by PossilYM

21 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You might be able to count the crowd at certain parts of this clip:

Nice little film. He has a very nice way about him, & always like watching / listening to folk that are genuinely passionate about the game, & look to find the positives in their approach.

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

You get folk moaning about the standard of the league,open up relegation etc yet Interesting 2 of the bottom 5 are former SPFL clubs. 

3 if zombies are included.

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I, for one, welcome our new Spartans overlords 

The Scottish League needs Bains Bridies!

I haven't seen Brechin but Buckie are a decent team, even if they did struggle yesterday against a stuffy Strathspey Thistle.

Don’t think they use Bain’s any more Tam - the pies when I bought one about a month ago definitely weren’t Bain’s!

Edited by Clayhole Blue

On 08/04/2023 at 22:46, Pyramid Watcher said:

Tell the SPFL that.

And the joker is played straight away. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Tier4/Tier5 is right.

But seriously is that a valid reason for not sorting out Tier5/Tier6 for the betterment of the pyramid?