Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

9 hours ago, Connor7 said:

Spartans so close to a huge 3 points tonight. It opens the door for Stirling & Tranent to close the gap tomorrow. 

Still think Spartans will do it. A sore way to drop 2 points but at least another one in the bag for them.

11 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Seems a bit unfair on Gretna if they are ever unfortunate to be in the relegation position, to be sent to a league that didnt want them in the first place. What do you and other Gretna fans feel about this?

I know you disagree with me but this for me is a part of the debate needed about the SOS and WOS covering the same geographical area as has been confirmed by a WOS official.

My OCD is bad tonight.

Another part of the pyramid that needs cleaning up. Realistically the SOS will struggle to get to the playoffs through license or compete in the actual playoff if they are so it just becomes an easy down and up to playoff option for Gretna and Dalbeattie.

Surely given Threaves position it would be far better to merge the SOS with the WOS so everyone finds their natural place?

1 minute ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Another part of the pyramid that needs cleaning up. Realistically the SOS will struggle to get to the playoffs through license or compete in the actual playoff if they are so it just becomes an easy down and up to playoff option for Gretna and Dalbeattie.

Surely given Threaves position it would be far better to merge the SOS with the WOS so everyone finds their natural place?

In my view, attending both SOS and WOS games this season and in the future, a merger needs to happen. It cannot be allowed that 2 leagues cover the same area. It can't and won't happen overnight, but issues like this is why the league's across the non league pyramid need to be meeting/conversing at regular intervals.

Don't need to remind you of the almost in-fighting when the East Juniors were going senior.

The main difference in the West/South is that one of the Leagues is not seen as a threat to the others progression and imo the SOS are  happy to remain so. If the SOS don't want to participate fully in the pyramid then, I'm sorry it needs removed from the pyramid almost.

48 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

I've stated that for years.

Providing they get to keep the best players, relegation to absolutely run riot in a far inferior league where they could potentially be 2 games away from a LL return or a struggle in the West Premier.

It's a no brainer for them.

There's more issues with the pyramid system than just B teams.

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

Well done Edinburgh Uni on winning 3-1 at Cumbernauld, result of the week.

Aye a massive win for them. 4 points ahead of Dalbeattie now although Star have 3 games in hand. The 2 sides meet at Peffermill on 8 April could be interesting.

38 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye a massive win for them. 4 points ahead of Dalbeattie now although Star have 3 games in hand. The 2 sides meet at Peffermill on 8 April could be interesting.

Yeah I really fancy the 10 minutes in the car to Peffermill for what could be a cracking game. But I would feel like a sh** for not going to Cowden v Strollers. 🤔

16 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Yeah I really fancy the 10 minutes in the car to Peffermill for what could be a cracking game. But I would feel like a sh** for not going to Cowden v Strollers. 🤔

I know what you mean would be tempting.

2 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Yes well done to Uni, was hoping they wouldn't pick up anymore points, then Dalbeattie would turn them over at Peffermill. That's put the cat right among the pigeons.  Up to you now Star...........bloody students

23 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Seems a bit unfair on Gretna if they are ever unfortunate to be in the relegation position, to be sent to a league that didnt want them in the first place. What do you and other Gretna fans feel about this?

I know you disagree with me but this for me is a part of the debate needed about the SOS and WOS covering the same geographical area as has been confirmed by a WOS official.

Probably due to them applying to the SOS in early July 2008 when it already had an even number of teams (whereas the EOS First Div needed one more).

Edited by Ginaro

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Probably due to them applying to the SOS in early July 2008 when it already had an even number of teams (whereas the EOS First Div needed one more).

I think the Gretna originals pissed the league off when they had a reserve side in it could have been a legacy of that, heard it mentioned at the time.

17 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Was fully involved in youth football back then so have no idea, but am certain I  have read articles suggesting the SOS were not fans of Gretna of any sort at that time, so shortly after the original Gretna and their forays in the SPL or whatever it was back then. 

I know this is a somewhat controversial view but with the geographical crossover between the SOS and WOS feel that both Star and 2008 could have a case for being relegated to West Tier 6. Of course they might well be happy to go South thinking that might be an easier route back to LL land.

Was reading comments on the coos thread and what was very evident is the negativity 're the LL. Have read the same on the boness thread. 

Ignoring the 'wee bitches', if only we could; there is only EK, The Podcast, Braves, Cumbie Colts and the Uni sides who are not what would be called traditional clubs.

That leaves 10 others who are ex-SPFL, Juniors and original EOS and SOS. Surely there is enough there to give the LL a better profile and media coverage. Surely it's for the benefit of all the clubs to try and engender a feel good factor. The League Cup coming up seems to be a comp too far for some fans who just want the season to end. And for some looking forward to next season is something they don't want to deal with.

This should be a vibrant setup generating good publicity. But isn't.

15 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Took this one in yesterday. It was 'one of those days' for both teams, from differing perspectives of course. Edinburgh set up to sit in & frustrate, & accordingly Colts had much of the ball for much of the game, but struggled to regularly find ways to break down their visitors. When they did create chances, shots on target were all straight at the 'keeper, other efforts went wide, the crossbar was struck twice, & two open goal opportunities went unconverted.

Edinburgh having been under the cosh for most of the first period managed to force an own goal just before the break, & could have been two up when a penalty award straight after the goal was skied over the bar. And whilst Colts had a couple of chances to equalise in the early minutes of the second period, it was the visitors that took one of their less frequent chances to make it two, & the run of the game continued a bit further into the half when they made it three.

Colts huffed & puffed to & eventually got a small reward from a Craig Holmes freekick, but couldn't find anything else. Seemed a little like they just felt that they needed to turn up to take the points, whereas fair play to Edinburgh who executed their game plan well & earned what was likely an unexpected three points. Heard one of their supporters after the game say "Well that didn't turn out to be the cricket score that I was expecting."

Colts certainly have the makings of a side that can be competitive higher up the table, having taken good points from the Colts sides this season, but need to sort out their consistency as I think I'm right in saying that they're the only team to lose to both Edinburgh & Dalbeattie, albeit the latter in the Cup. And if Edinburgh manage to stay up come season end, then on the basis of performances like yesterday, they've got the opportunity to build on not ending up quite so far off the pace next term.

10 minutes ago, Highland ITFC said:

Took this one in yesterday. It was 'one of those days' for both teams, from differing perspectives of course. Edinburgh set up to sit in & frustrate, & accordingly Colts had much of the ball for much of the game, but struggled to regularly find ways to break down their visitors. When they did create chances, shots on target were all straight at the 'keeper, other efforts went wide, the crossbar was struck twice, & two open goal opportunities went unconverted.

Edinburgh having been under the cosh for most of the first period managed to force an own goal just before the break, & could have been two up when a penalty award straight after the goal was skied over the bar. And whilst Colts had a couple of chances to equalise in the early minutes of the second period, it was the visitors that took one of their less frequent chances to make it two, & the run of the game continued a bit further into the half when they made it three.

Colts huffed & puffed to & eventually got a small reward from a Craig Holmes freekick, but couldn't find anything else. Seemed a little like they just felt that they needed to turn up to take the points, whereas fair play to Edinburgh who executed their game plan well & earned what was likely an unexpected three points. Heard one of their supporters after the game say "Well that didn't turn out to be the cricket score that I was expecting."

Colts certainly have the makings of a side that can be competitive higher up the table, having taken good points from the Colts sides this season, but need to sort out their consistency as I think I'm right in saying that they're the only team to lose to both Edinburgh & Dalbeattie, albeit the latter in the Cup. And if Edinburgh manage to stay up come season end, then on the basis of performances like yesterday, they've got the opportunity to build on not ending up quite so far off the pace next term.

Thanks for the report, I did not see that result coming I must admit.  Sets it up nicely for the Uni/Star clash in a couple of weeks.