Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, wulliemc said:

I think we also had Liam Henderson on loan from Falkirk

Yeah. He wasn't great when he played for us, but he did score the winning penalty to keep us in the league. To be fair to him, Locke played him on the right in the first leg at K Park and he is all left foot and really struggled.

14 hours ago, ekok said:

Ok going to take the bait. How many players did you have on loan from Hearts and was there not some question of extensions beyond original dates ? Yes our keeper saved a penalty in first game, recall a draw was by far the best you could have deserved. We missed good chances, your keeper made good saves. Remember thinking a draw was bad enough,  losing that game would have been an injustice. 

Second game in just about worst rain I can ever remember a game still being played, tbf pitch held up. In last minute of extra time one of your defenders made unbelievable block, looked like a winner all the way. Then as you say your keeper stepped up. 

Treating this as belated therapy for without doubt my worst ever football experience.  Thanks , can move on now!

You are looking at it through rose coloured specs.  There was very little between EK and Cowden in the play offs but if anything Cowden just edged it.  Cowden of course missed a penalty at K Park but it was a game of few real chances.  The 2nd leg Cowden could have had 3 goals in the early stages and then game evened out.  Cowden had no special loan arrangements with Hearts or anyone else.  Cove was a different matter they were better than us but we won by battling hard and their own self destruction - v Bonnyrigg there was no real fight against a team that were nowhere near as good as Cove 

2 hours ago, wulliemc said:

I think we also had Liam Henderson on loan from Falkirk

The guy just asked about who was on loan from Hearts.

Also had Dale Carick on loan from Livi and David Syme from Raith.

Edited by cowdenbeath

On 01/03/2023 at 20:15, Cowdenleith said:

Why is there this narrative that the winner of the HL will be fancied rather than the LL representative?

I’ve seen this mentioned a number of times over the course of season, but never seen a clear reason given for that school of thought.

I have absolutely no idea how to judge them, should be a cracker of a tie.

I live in the Highlands & my staple football diet over the last few years has been HL, but this season have also had the opportunity to take in some LL games, including seeing both Spartans & Uni of Stirling. Have also seen Buckie & Brechin this year. Based on what I've seen, there looks to be very little between those four sides, with each having their own specific strengths, & as somebody else has said, think it will likely come down to who gets more things right on the days, come the playoff games.

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Does anyone have the table with spfl colts results removed? Are Dalbeattie mathematically down yet? 

Dalbeattie can still catch Edinburgh University. They would then have to wait on the SPFL2 Playoff as that could cause a 2nd relegation spot if the Highland League champion is promoted.

Tables would look like this unless i've made an error somewhere. It's not letting me put in a screenshot.

B teams scrubbed 05/03/23 P W D L GF GA GD Pts
  1 Spartans 25 18 3 4 62 24 38 57
  2 Stirling University 25 17 4 4 62 23 39 55
  3 Tranent 24 16 5 3 57 21 36 53
4 East Kilbride 24 13 4 7 54 34 20 43
5 Berwick Rangers 25 13 4 8 43 36 7 43
6 OG Broomhill 24 13 3 8 50 38 12 42
7 Civil Service Strollers 24 11 6 7 46 28 18 39
8 Bo'ness United 25 11 5 9 47 28 19 38
9 Caledonian Braves 26 11 4 11 58 46 12 37
  10 Gala Fairydean Rovers 25 10 2 13 37 52 -15 32
  11 Cumbernauld Colts 26 9 2 15 38 41 -3 29
  12 East Stirlingshire 28 7 8 13 32 54 -22 29
  13 Cowdenbeath 23 8 3 12 29 26 3 27
  14 Gretna 2008 23 8 1 14 31 55 -24 25
  15 Edinburgh University 25 2 1 22 16 88 -72 7
  16 Dalbeattie Star 24 1 3 20 19 91 -72 6

Edited by FairWeatherFan

29 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Dalbeattie can still catch Edinburgh University. They would then have to wait on the SPFL2 Playoff as that could cause a 2nd relegation spot if the Highland League champion is promoted.

Hopefully the Highland Champions can do it and this fake league can have more of a clear out.

1 minute ago, PossilYM said:

Hopefully the Highland Champions can do it and this fake league can have more of a clear out.

I think it would be beneficial for almost everyone involved, Dalbeattie being an exception since they'd end up stuck in the South.

A trade off of Edinburgh University & Dalbeattie Star for Linlithgow Rose & Bonnyrigg Rose/Albion Rovers would be a clear gain for the Lowland League.

On 01/03/2023 at 13:15, Cowdenleith said:

Why is there this narrative that the winner of the HL will be fancied rather than the LL representative?

I’ve seen this mentioned a number of times over the course of season, but never seen a clear reason given for that school of thought.

I have absolutely no idea how to judge them, should be a cracker of a tie.

Aye that's a fair question. I think it's just that there are two 'top teams' in the HL who are clearly better than the rest whereas the LL is a lot closer and I still have no idea who will win it. I don't really rate the Spartans but maybe that's just because the Shire managed to give them a good game recently.

On 11/03/2023 at 18:26, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.bef95cae0a866216d3cfbbaccd510efa.png

Excuse my stupidity but what does the (Y) after Edinburgh Uni mean? I know they can't go any further up the league even if they win all there remaining games.

And thank you GNU-Linux for posting the results and tables every week