Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a tight three-way battle for the play-off spot, & would be good to see all three keeping it going right to the wire. Seven or eight sides (depending upon how Hearts go from here) then in a mid-table mini-league, with the likes of EK & OG seeking to get some kind of solace from their seasons. Cumbernauld look to have missed their chance to climb into that group with their recent draw vs Berwick & loss yesterday to Gala. So looks like another mini-league of 4 or 5 (again depending upon Hearts) to try & finish as far away from the doomed bottom two as possible.

12 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Long way to go and the HL winner may have a say, but how mental would a Bonnyrigg v Tranent play off for a place in League 2 be?

Hard to compare HL to LL but I reckon Brechin are probably favourites at the moment based on their form.

11 minutes ago, stanley said:

Hard to compare HL to LL but I reckon Brechin are probably favourites at the moment based on their form.

Brechin need to win the HL first. Looking good at present, but very much still a three-way challenge with Buckie & Brora very much in contention, albeit Buckie letting themselves down with two points dropped yesterday. Brechin still to play both I believe. Buckie-Brora is a big one next Saturday, & any one of the three possible results will have a big say in proceedings. Brechin have the resurgent Nairn the following week. Would be surprised to see Brechin just stroll to the winning post, & reckon as per yesterday's Huntly 1-1 Buckie result, that there will be a hiccup or surprise or two along the way.

1 hour ago, Connor7 said:

It’s proving to be an exciting race for the league title. It’s a pity that the B teams are involved to make a mockery of the league though.  

The B teams situation is a farce, they need to go at the end of the season. We need to promote more from Tier 6, how else can a pyramid system work without proper structured promotion and relegation from below and above.

5 minutes ago, beachboy said:

The B teams situation is a farce, they need to go at the end of the season. We need to promote more from Tier 6, how else can a pyramid system work without proper structured promotion and relegation from below and above.

Everyone still waiting on Maxwell’s pyramid review 😂

Probably won’t include B Teams 🤔

Would be priceless if the results against the 3 colt teams makes a difference to the championship. 6 friendly games that we were promised wouldn't affect the general Lowland League table but clearly is. 

More than that, there's a clear conflict of interest in that the 3 colt teams are going to want more of their yeah-sayers staying in the league so they have more chance of being voted in again.

Edited by Spyro

46 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Would be priceless if the results against the 3 colt teams makes a difference to the championship. 6 friendly games that we were promised wouldn't affect the general Lowland League table but clearly is. 

More than that, there's a clear conflict of interest in that the 3 colt teams are going to want more of their yeah-sayers staying in the league so they have more chance of being voted in again.

What clubs should decide is if they are in the Lowland League to try and win it or are they in it to get the 7.5k handout plus the crowd the B teams sometimes bring?

Too many in my opinion vote with their pockets rather than vote with their head.

11 minutes ago, beachboy said:

What clubs should decide is if they are in the Lowland League to try and win it or are they in it to get the 7.5k handout plus the crowd the B teams sometimes bring?

Too many in my opinion vote with their pockets rather than vote with their head.

Bang on.

1 hour ago, beachboy said:

I have a dream; the LL clubs tell the 3 Stooges weans to do one. Then no matter what transpires at season end 're relegation/promotion wrt SPFL2, both EOS and WOS Champions, looking likely no licencee from SOS, are promoted. League have shown they can cope with 19 teams so if it ends up as 17 or even 18 shouldn't be an issue. 

Come on LL clubs show the SPFL how to be the lead in this infant pyramid of ours.

15 hours ago, Spyro said:

Think I recall earlier in the season seeing a revised league table with the B teams removed & likewise all their results? Is that right, or am I imagining things? If right, would be interesting to see how this would make the table look now as the final run-in nears.

29 minutes ago, Highland ITFC said:

Think I recall earlier in the season seeing a revised league table with the B teams removed & likewise all their results? Is that right, or am I imagining things? If right, would be interesting to see how this would make the table look now as the final run-in nears.

I've done it a couple of times this season out of my own curiousity. I'll probably do it again at the weekend to see what it's like.

I  did a quick check on the title race yesterday and it was Tranent P23 Pts 50, Spartans P22 Pts49, Stirling Uni P22 Pts 48 if I remember correctly. Stirling Uni having the superior goal difference.

3 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

League have shown they can cope with 19 teams so if it ends up as 17 or even 18 shouldn't be an issue. 

Not sure how many times it has to be said, but it's either 19 clubs with the B team coin to help them cope, or back to 16 teams. They can temporarily expand to 17 or 18 but why would current members vote for that when it would be further relegation to get back to 16 in the future...

9 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure how many times it has to be said, but it's either 19 clubs with the B team coin to help them cope, or back to 16 teams. They can temporarily expand to 17 or 18 but why would current members vote for that when it would be further relegation to get back to 16 in the future...

I did say it was a dream.    In all seriousness, at the moment the pyramid is going round in circles. LL clubs, rightly, are bemoaning about promotion to Tier 4, whilst at the same time keeping Tier 6 clubs moving up/down to a trickle. Realistically how many of the current 16 members will ever be in a place to play in the promotion play off. So it can be justifiably said they are exhibiting protectionism just like the SPFL.                                         I know it won't happen but all parties need to sit round a table and come up with a serious plan for the future progression of the pyramid.                          In a football sense and possibly even publicity wise, The Wee Rose and Darvel would be an excellent addition to the league. Much, much better than those insipid B/Colt things.

I have read the LL constitution 're 16 clubs, but can it be changed to 18 akin to the HL. This could 'protect' the present clubs and allow them to introduce a 2 up 2 down system.

I know common sense doesn't apt to our football world.