Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

9 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Rangers Colts now pulling away at the top of the league. 
When will we see the campaign start to argue for promotion to SPFL aided and abetted by their lackeys in the media and SFA.

It's already happening. In Rangers circles there's already the rumour of SPFL2 expansion or the creation of a SPFL3.

21 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's already happening. In Rangers circles there's already the rumour of SPFL2 expansion or the creation of a SPFL3.

These rumours will not go away.

The reality is that the SPFL2 teams are not for budging as they like the current "safe" setup. 

15 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

These rumours will not go away.

The reality is that the SPFL2 teams are not for budging as they like the current "safe" setup. 

League 2 teams live in fear of dropping out, they won’t change, happy to stick with the ridiculous set-up of playing each other 4 times per season.

17 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

It is a bit Sci fi, innocent bunglers welcome scary monsters who are pretending to be nicey-nicey, and then the scary monsters ditch the nicey and start to breenge about, and begin to take over... 

After the sensible scientists have warned everyone exactly what is going to happen, and are ignored...

1 hour ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

League 2 teams live in fear of dropping out, they won’t change, happy to stick with the ridiculous set-up of playing each other 4 times per season.

Same could be said of LL blocking 3 leagues below.

Majority of LL teams are playing above their real level,  safe in the knowledge of only 1 relegation spot.

Majority of LL teams are playing above their real level,  safe in the knowledge of only 1 relegation spot.

Indeed. It's a closed shop in both directions. Most lower league clubs can't complain about self preservation, given how hard it is to get promoted to that level. It's going to take years to become a proper meritocracy

45 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

It could, but I was talking about League 2, and the ridiculous set-up of playing each other 4 times a season. The league/Pyramid is a stagnant pond at the moment because of self interest and a refusal to change.

It could, but I was talking about League 2, and the ridiculous set-up of playing each other 4 times a season. The league/Pyramid is a stagnant pond at the moment because of self interest and a refusal to change.

Might as well have written "It could, but I'm choosing to ignore the hypocrisy" 😂

No surprise @virgintonoffered his usual plethora of Red dots, but instead of doing that why don’t you tell me your thoughts on a 10 team league with everyone playing each other 4 times.

3 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

No surprise @virgintonoffered his usual plethora of Red dots, but instead of doing that why don’t you tell me your thoughts on a 10 team league with everyone playing each other 4 times.

Some people do actually like the 10 team leagues. Small leagues can keep the season interesting. Even without being a title contender or worst in the league, the chance of the playoffs can keep things active.

From the Championship to League Two there's also a turnover of 2-4 clubs so there's new trips season to season.

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Some people do actually like the 10 team leagues. Small leagues can keep the season interesting. Even without being a title contender or worst in the league, the chance of the playoffs can keep things active.

From the Championship to League Two there's also a turnover of 2-4 clubs so there's new trips season to season.

I am sure some people do, but I’d bet that there are more people who don’t.

The whole pyramid system lends itself to stagnation, and with that apathy that allows fans and clubs to accept it.

31 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

This... 

We are a small country with far too many teams in the "league" system as it is. England has around 10 times the population and has 92 teams in the top 4 tiers. We try to do this with 42 teams, therefore the drop-off is much more severe going down the leagues. This means smaller, more competitive leagues work for Scotland and I'd go as far as saying tier 5-6 should be the same which is something I was dead again a few years ago. 

The problem we have in Scotland is the politics which has meant too many clubs are now stuck miles below their true level... and this will take decades to sort out amicably as there is far too much self-interest and no true leadership in Scottish football apart from the SFA who are only there to keep the OF happy as most of their jobs depend on them and the nonsense they bring. 

Having EK and Gretna, or Fraserburgh and Speyside Thistle in the same tiers, in such a small country, is f**king madness tbh

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

I'd go as far as saying tier 5-6 should be the same which is something I was dead again a few years ago. 

I don't have a particular problem with the SPFL format. It's just about opening up League Two. Matching up with the other divisions to be one automatic relegation + one relegation playoff.

Tier 5-6 absolutely should not be 10 team leagues though. The divide between T3-T6 (only some T6 leagues) is largely artificial for part-time clubs. Simply a change in manager can flip things dramatically, let alone a little bit of cash. It's why people can suggest three T5 leagues and not be instantly dimissed because regionally you could find 48+ clubs to have competitively balanced leagues.

It's more a case of making things more fluid.