Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Boy obviously had his hands tied if he wasn’t signing the players.

Exactly! And when the players are training only once a week up in Edinburgh and the manager is down here how do you possibly coach players when you spend an hour with them before a game on a matchday.

19 minutes ago, gretnascotty said:

Exactly! And when the players are training only once a week up in Edinburgh and the manager is down here how do you possibly coach players when you spend an hour with them before a game on a matchday.

So most of the team come from up here that they train in Edinburgh?

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Strange set up. I thought they would have went for more local players.

I’m absolutely convinced there should be enough local talent within a say 25/30 mind radius to get Gretna at the top end of that table ? Annan should be the same lazy lazy clubs ( never mind producing their own ) 

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

I’m absolutely convinced there should be enough local talent within a say 25/30 mind radius to get Gretna at the top end of that table ? Annan should be the same lazy lazy clubs ( never mind producing their own ) 

Bit harder for Annan in L2 but you would think you could get a reasonable lowland League side from Dunfriesshire/Carlisle area.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Enough local talent ??  I really wonder about that.

You will find that almost all of the good local talent have at some time or other played for the top local sides, Dalbeattie, Gretna 2008, Threave & whatever SOS team decides to have a go for the league that season.

With the dropping of a league by Queen of the South they are having to fish in a lower pond that was maybe Annan's preserve and so Annan are looking around and picking up the best of the LL in the local area.

when you look at the population hotspots in Dumfries & Galloway they really are well spread out and consequently the availability of a large good player pool is not possible.

Plus of course, availability of good players in an area does go in cycles and maybe there are just not too many around right now.

8 hours ago, Only coo in the village said:

Definitely a sensible idea. I’m sure that Cowden would benefit from not having floodlight costs to pay for as would many other teams. 

For once the big wigs make a good decision.

However, it would affect me and my family getting over to Cowdenbeath, as school football goes on to at least 11.30-12.00 and probably couldn’t get over if it was, say a 1pm start.

Overall though it’s sensible that they are at least talking about it.

Edit: Just realised it’s only referring to Scottish Cup matches, possibly LL might follow suit? One or two Scottish Cup games with changed times is only going to save a relatively small amount.

Edited by Cowdenleith

28 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

For once the big wigs make a good decision.

However, it would affect me and my family getting over to Cowdenbeath, as school football goes on to at least 11.30-12.00 and probably couldn’t get over if it was, say a 1pm start.

Overall though it’s sensible that they are at least talking about it.

Edit: Just realised it’s only referring to Scottish Cup matches, possibly LL might follow suit? One or two Scottish Cup games with changed times is only going to save a relatively small amount.

There's nothing really to stop two clubs from agreeing from a change. In the same way they can ask for a Friday night kick-off. Celtic B have been changing home games to 12:00/13:00 kick-offs since they started up.

17 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

was told on Saturday that dalbettie's manager is from down that way.

Yes the Dalbeattie manager is from down that way, Dumfries boy i think,  although he has coached and been involved with clubs from the central belt.  At the start of the season he inherited a team with no players so signing players he already knew was needed to put a team on the park. Whether it is a short term fix only time will tell.

20 hours ago, VodkaTap said:

You will find that almost all of the good local talent have at some time or other played for the top local sides, Dalbeattie, Gretna 2008, Threave & whatever SOS team decides to have a go for the league that season.

With the dropping of a league by Queen of the South they are having to fish in a lower pond that was maybe Annan's preserve and so Annan are looking around and picking up the best of the LL in the local area.

when you look at the population hotspots in Dumfries & Galloway they really are well spread out and consequently the availability of a large good player pool is not possible.

Plus of course, availability of good players in an area does go in cycles and maybe there are just not too many around right now.

There is plenty of local talent but i would look closer to home as to why there are none playing for Gretna! 

We've had quite a few players from Cumbria playing for us since the club was founded, a number of these players i would call club legends think we're an absolute shambles and have done for a few seasons now, Dean Rea, John Jardine, Sam Atkinson to name a few have said this on social media.  Robbie Ivison, Gretna's player of the season last season was asked to play for someone else during the summer, he turned the club down as he said he was happy at Gretna, only to be told weeks later that there was no place for him at the club and he wasn't wanted because the club had a new squad of players (see mcindoe & his Edinburgh based boys) We were told at a fans forum in June that the club had a list of local players they were in the process of signing, we were also told by the manager directly that we would be training twice a week from Raydale when the club itself had other ideas.

The fans are told what we want to hear by lies from the hierarchy who clearly had plans to bring a squad of players in via Mcindoe & they would train out of Edinburgh (something it seems was news to Hatfield) we were seemingly to bring in 3 players from south west scotland to appease the supporters.

My question to the club now is what happens if McIndoe decides at the end of the season he's had enough? He takes HIS squad with him, who are the club to turn to if/when this happens?  I can't see any player in the local area wanting to play for Gretna 2008.

20 hours ago, VodkaTap said:

Carlisle is equidistant loads of players playing leagues there ? 

1 hour ago, gretnascotty said:

There is plenty of local talent but i would look closer to home as to why there are none playing for Gretna! 

We've had quite a few players from Cumbria playing for us since the club was founded, a number of these players i would call club legends think we're an absolute shambles and have done for a few seasons now, Dean Rea, John Jardine, Sam Atkinson to name a few have said this on social media.  Robbie Ivison, Gretna's player of the season last season was asked to play for someone else during the summer, he turned the club down as he said he was happy at Gretna, only to be told weeks later that there was no place for him at the club and he wasn't wanted because the club had a new squad of players (see mcindoe & his Edinburgh based boys) We were told at a fans forum in June that the club had a list of local players they were in the process of signing, we were also told by the manager directly that we would be training twice a week from Raydale when the club itself had other ideas.

The fans are told what we want to hear by lies from the hierarchy who clearly had plans to bring a squad of players in via Mcindoe & they would train out of Edinburgh (something it seems was news to Hatfield) we were seemingly to bring in 3 players from south west scotland to appease the supporters.

My question to the club now is what happens if McIndoe decides at the end of the season he's had enough? He takes HIS squad with him, who are the club to turn to if/when this happens?  I can't see any player in the local area wanting to play for Gretna 2008.

Can’t do much good for getting a support as well, no local guys with any ties to the area.

What sort of crowds do you get these days?

I remember the last time I seen you’s was at Kelty a few months before the lockdown seemed to be a lot of players from the north of England in that side.

7 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

That's me weel telt !!