Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

3 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

If Glasgow based and you3 definitely want some LL action, then EK, Cumbernauld and OGB are logistically your best options. EK are a very strong side this season... I'll let you make your own judgement on the quality of the other two...

I've seen Stirling Uni twice this season and been thoroughly impressed both times. Very quick side that like to keep the ball down. 

Bo'ness are also a very good side and pretty well supported too. Not the easiest to get to with public transport .

Other than these, if sticking around Glasgow area, WoS is your best bet.

Train to Linlithgow then a 10 minute journey by bus or taxi?

21 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Thanks to all those that have offered thoughts. In response to cowdenbeath's queries / comments above, I do like to go to a few different grounds, & from that ideally looking to find a club that I can follow that have a good set-up & play decent football. Was thinking LL, but as WoS was suggested as a potential alternative, happy to check that out aswell. Not interested in any politics / aggro between leagues & their respective fans / proponents....just a fan of decent football & good clubs / football people. 

If you don't already know the site,Scottish football fixtures.wordpress is the place to go.dont forget the u20 fixtures on a Friday night too though you need be wary about going to them,venue announcements can be very last minute,you'd figure it out,though.

As someone's already said,you'll be totally spoiled with the choice compared to what you get in the highlands

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bad day for several clubs against lower-level cup opposition.

Berwick crashed 2-1 at Stoneyburn (4 levels below)... Gretna were thumped 4-0 at home to Cambuslang (1 level below)... Gala came back to draw 1-1 and forced extra time at Kinnoull (2 levels below) but were unable to obtain the lead and lost 5-4 on penalties... OG Broomhill lost 1-0 at Glenrothes (2 levels below).

There were solid wins for Spartans at Newtongrange, Uni of Stirling at Crossgates, and 'Shire home to Kirkcaldy & Dysart (despite the break through taking until the last 20mins). Civil Service thumped Heriot-Watt Uni.

Tranent travel into Bathgate tomorrow to face Armadale (4 levels below), looking to avoid adding their name to the quartet of bad losses in what is certainly a tricky-looking tie potentially.

Another day highlighting the absurdity of only one relegation spot from the LL (and perhaps highlighting why many clubs don't vote for an increase).

^^^if anyone actually does this there will probably be a call screener initially who will put you on hold after figuring out whether you are suitable to put through to the panel of celebrity halfwits. They will probably ask for your name, location, and what your planned question is going to be. Best to have your info inaccessible from your phone other than the number and make sure the number you are using doesn't pop up too easily on a google search. Say something like Billy fae Whitburn or Ronan fae Royston with the appropriate talking point for whatever that side of the OF is riled up about at that moment in time. Then once you are through change the subject to your desired topic and enjoy...

Edited by LongTimeLurker

12 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^if anyone actually does this there will probably be a call screener initially who will put you on hold after figuring out whether you are suitable to put through to the panel of celebrity halfwits. They will probably ask for your name, location, and what your planned question is going to be. Best to have your info inaccessible from your phone other than the number and make sure the number you are using doesn't pop up too easily on a google search. Say something like Billy fae Whitburn or Ronan fae Royston with the appropriate talking point for whatever that side of the OF is riled up about at that moment in time. Then once you are through change the subject to your desired topic and enjoy...

I don't think you know how podcasts work.

9 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Ditto that comment for the SPFL2 situation.

This and the LL relegation and promotion are the main sour taste of the Scottish Pyramid system.

The clubs of these leagues need to look at the bigger picture and realize that opening up the promotion \ relegation will make it a lot better for the teams who are relegated from these divisions.   I can only surmise but if you asked me did the following teams when in the SPFL2 vote for only a relegation playoff, would they change theirs minds if given the chance to vote again - and yes I think they would vote differently. I'm talking about East Stirlingshire, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, Cowdenbeath because if it was 3 down and 3 up to the SPFL 2 then there would be a greater chance to get back up.

This will eventually change when I'm not so sure but more and more are realizing this is the best way for the pyramid system to operate.

I do think the SPFL 2 could even be made up to 18 team league and this would push through more teams from the lower leagues and definitely make a 3 up n 3 down scenario more convenient or even a 2 up 2 down with 3rd bottom in a playoff 

On 19/08/2022 at 15:40, Highland ITFC said:

Thanks for the response & initial thoughts Spyro. I'll still be based in the Highlands, but will be spending more time in Glasgow, including over some weekends, so looking to scout some good football to watch around the city / area. Thought LL due to it being the counterpart to HL, but having looked at WOSFL & EOSFL, looks like the WOS Prem could present a few options without needing to travel too far. What would be your further thoughts based on that? Keen on watching / following sides that play decent football, rather than dull long-ball stuff. Thanks!

Problem with the LL watching from Glasgow is the nearest LL teams are out in the sticks.

East Kilbride FC at the back end of EK dodgy, Caley Braves Strathclyde Park, forget it without a car, OG Broomhill in Cumbernauld.

Try all three once then look at the Wosfl., plenty of clubs in and around Glasgow and a lot easier to get to.

Pollok and Clydebank would be my starting choices but give the rest a look even just as a ground hopper.

6 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Problem with the LL watching from Glasgow is the nearest LL teams are out in the sticks.

East Kilbride FC at the back end of EK dodgy, 

Hardly, k park is in calderglen, a country park, absolutely nothing dodgy about it, if it was in greenhills or calderwood I would share your concerns 

18 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Hardly, k park is in calderglen, a country park, absolutely nothing dodgy about it, if it was in greenhills or calderwood I would share your concerns 

I took “dodgy” as “difficult to get to”, rather than “dangerous”, which K Park clearly is. It’s about a half hour walk from the train station and 10 minutes walk from the nearest bus stop at High CommonRoad/Colonsay, and even with that, the only service that stops there is the 21- the least frequent and longest journey from Glasgow.

A community football club should be able to provide spin offs for local businesses in their community, such as shops, pubs and restaurants who gain from the passing trade. But in EK’s case, the only beneficiaries I can see are the cricket club. I suspect things will be even worse if they ever move to Langlands. How the hell do you get there on a bus?

Going on a bit of a tangent now, but I noted another poster saying that the Showpark would be unsuitable because of traffic issues and that would certainly be the case if EK were to grow but my preferred site for them to build a ground would be the Kirktonholme pitches, right beside the train station and within walking distance of the village, but I don’t see the two amateur clubs who own it being too keen after all the work they’ve put in to bring them up to scratch in recent years.

If money wasn’t an issue, I’d suggest knocking down the white elephant extension to the shopping centre and relocating the shops into empty units elsewhere and building a ground but that’s clearly not going to happen either.

Whichever way you paint it though, K Park is a horrendous place to go for a game if you don’t have a car (it’s not that great if you do have one) and I doubt the club will be able to grow their support  in a town where the current generation has nailed it’s colours to the mast and where future ones will have to trek out to the middle of nowhere for a game.

What decision EK make on their ground will be the biggest one they ever make- sadly I expect to see some charmless monstrosity in the middle of nowhere like Inverness have.

19 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Ditto that comment for the SPFL2 situation.

There is nowhere near the same quality mismatch between League 2 and the Highland/Lowland League as there is between the Lowland League and East of Scotland/West of Scotland.

Going on a bit of a tangent now, but I noted another poster saying that the Showpark would be unsuitable because of traffic issues and that would certainly be the case if EK were to grow

It always amazed me traffic issues are mentioned when considering upgrading the Showpark.
I'd estimate an average sized EKFC crowd to be similar in number to those attending the Village Theatre on the same street.
As it was, even when Clyde were considering moving there, it's down to pure anti football supporter snobbery by those such as East Mains community council etc

2 hours ago, edinabear said:

League 2 should be expanded to 16 teams. With then 2 automatic relegation places and a play off for third bottom. Automatic promotion for winners of LL and HL and a play off between 2nd places who then play 3rd bottom of League 2

Won't work since we had two and now have  three cuckoos in the LL nest. on a temporary basis, not playing the same games as the others and with results that might or might not count.

49 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

A 20 team Championship and 20 team League 1 is a better solution.  Leagues of 10 and playing teams 4 times a season needs binned. 

and I am in favour of a 20 team Lowland league. 

I would be happy with a 18/20 team Lowland League with 2 up 2 down plus even an additional play off for 3 up 3 down. 

The SPFL position is completely different - 10/12 team leagues you will only at best have one up one down plus a play off - that is the SPFL model.  16 teams in L2 doesn’t work as only 15 home games thus loss in income for clubs who presently have 18.  Then 16/20 clubs in L2 where is prize money sourced for additional clubs?  How does 16/20 in L2 impact on SPFL voting structure.