Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

26 minutes ago, ekok said:

For example how do we end up last seaon with a top division final table with 4 teams below team 6 having  more points/ better goal difference than they do ? Seriously?

Are you saying you don't understand why teams who play weaker teams end up with more points than teams who play stronger teams?

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

I know that and you know that but some folk obviously don’t.

Taking the bait, I know fine well why, it doesn't make it any less nonsensical.  

Sorry but a typical acceptance of a mind boggling arrangement to try to square what is clearly created by a spurious set up in the first place. There are numerous ways to organise a fair, even handed and transparent League competition.  We fail on all counts with SPFL. The annual moanfest about fixtures is proof.

How about enough teams to play each other , once at home and once away. Will never catch on.

Like they do in England, France, Netherlands ( 😁 ) Spain , Brazil , Italy and just about anywhere I can think of,  probably even  Mars. 

How about enough teams to play each other , once at home and once away. Will never catch on.
Like they do in England, France, Netherlands ( [emoji16] ) Spain , Brazil , Italy and just about anywhere I can think of,  probably even  Mars. 

You've not really thought very hard, the majority of countries with populations similar to Scotland have small top flights where clubs play more than once home and away. You can't expect Scotland to have the same system as countries with ten times the population.

9 hours ago, ekok said:

Taking the bait, I know fine well why, it doesn't make it any less nonsensical.  

Sorry but a typical acceptance of a mind boggling arrangement to try to square what is clearly created by a spurious set up in the first place. There are numerous ways to organise a fair, even handed and transparent League competition.  We fail on all counts with SPFL. The annual moanfest about fixtures is proof.

Like they do in England, France, Netherlands ( 😁 ) Spain , Brazil , Italy and just about anywhere I can think of,  probably even  Mars. 

The SPFL and Scottish football is set up for the benefit of 2 clubs always has been.

Do I agree with that? No.

One of the things the LL has got right is just playing each other twice.

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

You've not really thought very hard, the majority of countries with populations similar to Scotland have small top flights where clubs play more than once home and away. You can't expect Scotland to have the same system as countries with ten times the population.

Like any good pyramid you need to start from the bottom, and that would mean increasing the number of teams in Div 2, after that it can start to filter up the way. Yes, it may take several years, but we need to start doing something differently.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that neither of you have any idea about Statistics.

Aye, lies, damned lies and statistics.  Wasn't meant to be a  PHD treatise,  just that in one game for one team, a significant ( 4 I think) number of players had B team exposure when developing. 

Our mens A team are non too shy as regards Performance School graduates,  rightly so, it is an Indication they help. 

Appreciate there are reams of numbers and opinions on this topic. I go back to my argument,  that if they were of no value, why do clubs persist ?

3 minutes ago, ekok said:

Appreciate there are reams of numbers and opinions on this topic. I go back to my argument,  that if they were of no value, why do clubs persist ?

An obvious one would be that it is beneficial to the clubs, not neccesarily to the overall development of young players. Are we really saying that big clubs don't do anything unless it's beneficial to a nation's youth development?

1) It helps bigger clubs attract more and better young talent that's already out there. Why go to this club who don't have a B team when you can come and play in ours?

2) They think they can hang on to players longer so they won't miss late developers. Celtic's thinking, for example, might be, they'd have kept someone like Andy Robertson for longer if they could have just shoved him in a B team.

3) They might get money for players who don't make the cut. Currently, youth players are generally just released and get picked up by smaller clubs. Keep them around in a B team for a bit longer and you might get some money for them.

18 hours ago, ekok said:

.A five year old with a pencil and a blank piece of paper could come up with a more coherent structure.

For example how do we end up last seaon with a top division final table with 4 teams below team 6 having  more points/ better goal difference than they do ? Seriously?

For example. How come the teams that finish last in SPFL2 get a get out of jail play off ( insult to injury they always get second leg at home. Sporting integrity,  seriously?). I would be happy to stand corrected if this happens anywhere else on the planet. Seriously?

For example, the logjam from Tier 6 to 5 needs addressing,  100% guarantee sorting Team 42 debacle is the key.

Have said my piece, hope we can get a structure our national passion deserves. 

The bottom 2 in SPFL2 should be automatically relegated with both LL & HL champions being promoted

2 hours ago, kevsmart said:

The bottom 2 in SPFL2 should be automatically relegated with both LL & HL champions being promoted

Wouldn't that ultimately lead to a bit of an imbalanced league?  Less northern teams to be relegated and one guaranteed to go up every year.

44 minutes ago, amigan said:

Wouldn't that ultimately lead to a bit of an imbalanced league?  Less northern teams to be relegated and one guaranteed to go up every year.

Possibly. At the moment it's 8-2 split in League 2 for the Lowland League