Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The point is - which the usual suspects are deliberately overlooking - is that calling a league "tinpot" kinda encapsulates everything associated with it, inc those clubs who both voted against B teams and restricted promotion.

It obviously doesn't.

We can all disagree with the LL actions in that regard (I certainly do), but still have a thread on the LL without mentioning it every 2 seconds, which is the other point.  There's a thread for B team moans.

You're putting in as much effort as anyone to keep this rumbling on. The whole "tinpot" comment would have been long fortgotten if folk hadn't ridiculously over-reacted to it.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

It obviously doesn't.

You're putting in as much effort as anyone to keep this rumbling on. The whole "tinpot" comment would have been long fortgotten if folk hadn't ridiculously over-reacted to it.

It obviously does.   It would also have been long forgotten if you hadn't commented on it, but you did, and so it continues.

I'm sorry, at what point did I say I'm pro-B teams and pro-restricted promotion, can you point out where I said that?
The point is - which the usual suspects are deliberately overlooking - is that calling a league "tinpot" kinda encapsulates everything associated with it, inc those clubs who both voted against B teams and restricted promotion.
We can all disagree with the LL actions in that regard (I certainly do), but still have a thread on the LL without mentioning it every 2 seconds, which is the other point.  There's a thread for B team moans.

Most of the teams in the league are for those things, if they weren't it wouldn't have them. It's being called a tinpot league because the league and its members consistently act like it.

It's impossible to ignore on the general LL thread when a third of the matches most weeks contain a B team and another couple contain teams not good enough to be at this level.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Most of the teams in the league are for those things, if they weren't it wouldn't have them. It's being called a tinpot league because the league and its members consistently act like it.

Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It obviously does.   It would also have been long forgotten if you hadn't commented on it, but you did, and so it continues.

It just doesn't. Generally, you can describe a collective as one thing without that description applying to everything within that collective. For example, you could say that Rwanda is a poor country. That doesn't mean that every single person in Rwanda is poor.

I'm not the one complaining about the discussion carrying on. I don't care one way or the other. You are and you could easily end it by not constantly replying to everything and pasting the dictionary definition of 'tinpot' every other page.

Hopefully Burnieman will show similar consideration for the people on here who want to discuss the footballing aspects of the Junior Cup this season without having thread after thread derailed with blazer politics. Seems to me that somebody who liberally threw the word dinosaur around on here not so long ago to describe an entire grade of football with no concern over who might wind up being offended by it is getting a bit precious about the use of the word tinpot in an LL context.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

It just doesn't. Generally, you can describe a collective as one thing without that description applying to everything within that collective. For example, you could say that Rwanda is a poor country. That doesn't mean that every single person in Rwanda is poor.

I'm not the one complaining about the discussion carrying on. I don't care one way or the other. You are and you could easily end it by not constantly replying to everything and pasting the dictionary definition of 'tinpot' every other page.

That equally applies to you Gordon old chum.

If someone calls Rwanda poor country what's your perception of Rwanda? It's a poor country not worth visiting.

If someone describes the Lowland League as a tinpot league what's your perception of the league? It's just a poor football league not worth watching. 

Both of course are wrong, for different reasons, but create an unfair overall impression that's hard to shake. You don't call something tinpot followed by a list of caveats, it's left hanging.

Anyway, to keep you happy, we'll leave it there.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Hopefully Burnieman will show similar consideration for the people on here who want to discuss the footballing aspects of the Junior Cup this season without having thread after thread derailed with blazer politics. Seems to me that somebody who liberally threw the word dinosaur around on here not so long ago to describe an entire grade of football with no concern over who might wind up being offended by it is getting a bit precious about the use of the word tinpot in an LL context.

Hahahahahhahaha, you never learn. Do you get bored and just make shit up? Dear me, embarrassing.

Edited by Burnieman

16 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

That equally applies to you Gordon old chum.

What does?

If someone calls Rwanda poor country what's your perception of Rwanda? It's a poor country not worth visiting.

I wouldn't base my perception of the country off some random's comment but aside from that, it would be a factually correct statement.

If someone describes the Lowland League as a tinpot league what's your perception of the league? It's just a poor football league not worth watching.

Again, my perception of the league isn't going to be based off random comments on P&B. Also, that's just someone's opinion. Not something that can be objectively true or false.

Both of course are wrong, for different reasons, but create an unfair overall impression that's hard to shake. You don't call something tinpot followed by a list of caveats, it's left hanging.

Anyway, to keep you happy, we'll leave it there.

You don't get to decide that though. B teams are decisive. Everyone knows this. PLenty of folk think the LL is being progressive by doing it, plenty of folk think it makes the league look tinpot. The LL and the clubs knew this when they voted. You take the rough with the smooth.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I wouldn't base my perception of.......

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, but many would which is the point I'm making.  That applies to many facets of life "I didn't go as I heard it was a bit shit......."

Anyway, I'm done.

9 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, but many would which is the point I'm making.  That applies to many facets of life "I didn't go as I heard it was a bit shit......."

Anyway, I'm done.

Right. But it's not my job to promote the LL as a 'non-tinpot' league. And if it was, I wouldn't have let the B teams in.

19 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

You don't get to decide that though. B teams are decisive. Everyone knows this. PLenty of folk think the LL is being progressive by doing it, plenty of folk think it makes the league look tinpot. The LL and the clubs knew this when they voted. You take the rough with the smooth.

Do you mean ''divisive'?  If so, you're right.

Whatever, we need to live with it for now.

39 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

This thread, that was promising as an all encompassing update kind of thread has mostly turned to shit, can you not take the petty arguments somewhere else?

Gordon and Burnie need to get a room, 

Did AZ Alkmaar send their 'B' team to Tannadice?

What an embarrassment. 

Without Rangers and Celtic, our top league is on a par with the League of Ireland.  And folk are furious about B-Teams at Tier 5, calling it tinpot, as if the Lowland League is the problem, citing 'sporting integrity'.

7-0 is a shambles.  

Some stats from tonight:

MoM Pavlidis (2 goals +2 assists) - played 32 times for Dortmund B

Reijnders (2 goals) - played 92 times for Jong Ajax

de Wit (1 goals) - played 56 times for Jong Ajax

Evjen (1 goal + 1 assist) - played 56 times for Jong Ajax

van Brederode (age 19) - CF played 12 times for Jong Ajax

NOT TIN-POT. 

Mon the Lowland League 👍

8 hours ago, Che Dail said:

Did AZ Alkmaar send their 'B' team to Tannadice?

What an embarrassment. 

Without Rangers and Celtic, our top league is on a par with the League of Ireland.  And folk are furious about B-Teams at Tier 5, calling it tinpot, as if the Lowland League is the problem, citing 'sporting integrity'.

7-0 is a shambles.  

Some stats from tonight:

MoM Pavlidis (2 goals +2 assists) - played 32 times for Dortmund B

Reijnders (2 goals) - played 92 times for Jong Ajax

de Wit (1 goals) - played 56 times for Jong Ajax

Evjen (1 goal + 1 assist) - played 56 times for Jong Ajax

van Brederode (age 19) - CF played 12 times for Jong Ajax

NOT TIN-POT. 

Mon the Lowland League 👍

Dundee United getting pumped in Europe thread for this.

If Hearts pump them on Sunday will it be down to them having a B team.