Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Let me make it even simpler for you.

In which other Scottish League can three teams not be promoted or relegated.

In which other league can three of the teams not be eligible to participate in cups/ trophies.

The 'tin-pot' leagues in Portugal, Spain, France, Austria, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Croatia and Finland all restrict promotion for B Teams and have limitations on cup participation.  

But they're typically found at Tier 2 or 3 (sometimes T4) in their respective professional leagues.  

2 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

The sense of superiority from Neilly is a recurring theme in his posts, which seem to infer that Div 2 is some sort of powerhouse league. In reality there is virtually no difference between the bottom 3/4 in SPFL 2 and the top 3/4 in the LL.

None of that at all. I enjoy watching any level of football and going to games in Lowland League and indeed below that.

It still doesn't detract from the league being tinpot when you can get B teams voted in without going through the pyramid. It's a joke to be quite honest but doesn't stop me enjoying a live football game.

The LL is not tin pot in terms of quality on the park, certainly in the top two thirds.

Tinpottery has nothing to do with the quality of football on the pitch though. Its about how it's run, promoted, structured, attended, et cetera.

The Lowland League has a huge amount of potential, the fact that it's nowhere near that is evidence of its tinpottery.

I was at the OG -EK game as well (a pal of mine works for one of the sponsors so got in for free) and agree the atmosphere was a bit sterile despite a decent crowd numbers wise, although that’s to be expected.

I thought it felt like a bog standard game in the lower reaches of L2, the sort of games Clyde have hosted at Broadwood ourselves in the recent past. I was just surprised by some of the big names (by LL standards) and how poor they were. Miller looked the same as he did at Falkirk - despite playing two levels below - and McHugh was really poor as well and was outshone by Elliott next to him all night.

The Arbroath poster earlier talked about Ferry’s principles with his style of play and my pal spoke about this as well (I don’t really follow OG so don’t know about Ferry’s chat) but it doesn’t work with these players and again Broadfoot was lumbering about up front by the end. I also found his antics on the touch line quite odd, he was pretty quiet and then burst into random periods of histrionics for quite minimal things. There wasn’t anyone on him as far as I could see but it almost felt like he was managing for a camera.

OK fare all in but I agree that the challenge is sustaining that against Edinburgh Uni in December. They might get above average crowds by issuing loads of sponsors comps and free tickets but even at £9, getting a decent paying crowd to that at Broadwood will be tough.

Edited by Ignoramus

You can see why privately the big guns in the Wosfl are wary of racing towards the LL.

First up is faced with getting out of the LL in the first season and taking a hit crowd wise along the way or waiting until they're joined by several others from the Wosfl that at least have some support/attraction.

As a neutral I don't see Top 6 Wosfl/ v the likes of half the present LL as something I'd jump in the car to go and watch. 

Maybe it will look different by 2030.

Edited by PossilYM

1 hour ago, Number seven said:

I have no wish to rubbish this Open Goal Broomhill thing but I find Simon Ferry very irritating to listen to.He needs to cut out the “Scottishness”speak when talking.

That's just his accent, there's a lot of things to criticise about Open Goal, but the guy speaking how he normally speaks isn't one of them.

8 minutes ago, stanley said:

I honestly really enjoyed the Si Ferry interviews years. He did quite a few with ex-Hearts players so it wasn't just Old Firm guys. Stopped watching as soon as it became a group thing. 

Was good in the early days but got boring fairly quickly. Same questions to nearly every guest. Some of the guests were dull too (Russell Anderson I’m looking at you in particular)

4 minutes ago, Number seven said:

Just think he comes across very unprofessional.8 mile Ee-heh?What does that mean?

“Eh heh” is what most people would normally pronounce “uh-huh” and what Si Ferry replaces question marks or full stops with.

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Tinpottery has nothing to do with the quality of football on the pitch though. Its about how it's run, promoted, structured, attended, et cetera.

The Lowland League has a huge amount of potential, the fact that it's nowhere near that is evidence of its tinpottery.

Well, Neilly hasn't really explained what he meant by it, so I assumed he meant everything about it, inc on the pitch.

I'd say two of it's Champions being in League 1, and another in League 2 is doing not bad as far as potential goes, but always much room for improvement as has been discussed ad infinitum on here.

4 hours ago, PossilYM said:

You can see why privately the big guns in the Wosfl are wary of racing towards the LL.

First up is faced with getting out of the LL in the first season and taking a hit crowd wise along the way

Why do they need to get to L2 at the first time of asking?

The west of Scotland teams will get a fright if or when they enter the Lowland league.The standard is far superior in level 5.Auchinleck and the rest should maybe concentrate on improving their  quality rather than worrying about no derbies .Some poor teams at level 6,East,South and West.

30 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

You think the crowd at the likes of Talbot would like watching Edinburgh Uni and Cumbernauld Colts for more than one season.

With zero local derbies.

Just about every team that's been promoted to the Lowland League have held their attendances or improved (not that hard for Edusport/Braves admittedly). The only one that had a dip was Bo'ness United and that seemed more linked to being so poor on the field than anything.

It's amazing how they've been able to do that with the mix of youth clubs & unis. Yet WoS sides apparently rely on 100+ travelling supports and have a home support that don't support their team.

I'm shocked that the two games against Bonnyton & Rossvale last season didn't bankrupt some WoS by messing up their budgets.

1 hour ago, Number seven said:

The west of Scotland teams will get a fright if or when they enter the Lowland league.The standard is far superior in level 5.Auchinleck and the rest should maybe concentrate on improving their  quality rather than worrying about no derbies .Some poor teams at level 6,East,South and West.

That will be why the teams promoted into from the East have won the last three titles on the bounce?

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

You think the crowd at the likes of Talbot would like watching Edinburgh Uni and Cumbernauld Colts for more than one season.

With zero local derbies.

Aye.  I thought you went to watch your team, not the opposition.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Aye.  I thought you went to watch your team, not the opposition.

Hopefully long term with the original closed shop Scottish League clubs being relegated and the top ex Junior teams coming up in numbers the LL achieves it's potential.

45 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Hopefully long term with the original closed shop Scottish League clubs being relegated and the top ex Junior teams coming up in numbers the LL achieves it's potential.

If relegation opens up a bit more, it wouldn't suprise me to see an ex-SPFL club get relegated from the Lowland League at some point over the next few years. I think one or two of them might struggle a bit long term as more sides get promoted from the EoS/WoS.