Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

On 21/07/2022 at 21:33, craigiemack said:

I've seen some horrible takes on the predictions for the season so I feel it is time to add my *educated* tuppence on the up coming seasons shenanigans. 

1st-2nd: Imo a straight shoot out between 'Kilby' and Trojans. Last season they were both miles off Bonnyrigg but miles clear of the chasing pack. They've both probably improved and no one has improved enough to catch up to them. EK are always touted to win the league but fail to live up to the promise while this is the first year in a good few seasons that Spartans have a serious chance of winning the league. I think EKs squad is more balanced, they'll be defensively sound as usual and the attacking threats of McLaughlin, Elliot and Vitoria will be boosted further by Bob McHugh. Spartans attack has the potential to be the most potent since the 0-4-6 total football of East Stirlingshire in 2016/17. Penker, Brown, Russell, Henderson and Dishington is certainly a mouth watering proposition but fitting them all in will be a problem. I think EK will pip Spartans but if Spartans attack fires then they might run them close. 

3rd-6th: The battle for the UEFA SPFL Trust Conference League spots is always the tightest battle in the league and this year is no different with i'd say about 10/11 teams thinking they have an outside shot of getting in. I think the ones at the forefront of that battle will be Borrowstounness, Tranent (the only town in the world to have every shop in its town centre listed on its wikepedia page. Including 3, count em, 3 bookies), the East Stirlingshire Chinese money launderers and Open Goal KFC Alloa. Bo'ness had a pretty miserable season last year but they look to have strengthened somewhat and if they manage to get 18 players to each game I'd imagine they finish closer to the expected level they'd be at when they entered the league. Tranent are an unknown but winning breeds confidence and I think the feel good factor around the club will be similar to what Kelty and Bonnyrigg achieved. Maybe not as successful but they certainly won't be anywhere near mid table. Trying to be as neutral as possible here but from what I've seen of the Shire, people are sleeping on us. We've certainly improved in a lot of areas and have a lot of talented young players that might rip teams apart at the Grangemouth Stadium. If we can get a decent goalscorer in on loan then I'm confident we'll be top half at the very least. Only Bonnyrigg had a better defence than us last year and despite having the best goalie in the league (fact) we look to have improved it further, Kyle Ewing looks like he could be a serious player at this level. KFC Alloa finished a lowly 15th last year but with the investment from the Own Goal podcast I'm sure they'll improve. I'm 99% certain they will not be higher than 3rd and it would not surprise me to see them down in 10th or so. I'll get to Berwick in a minute but if you're announcing a player with the phrase 'with over 300+ SPFL appearances' then chances are, as history has shown in the LL, you are signing an utter dud. 

7th-11th: 1st Cowdenbeath Boys Brigade, Berwick Rangers Walking Football Club, Edufrance Academy of STV documentary fame, Civil Service Meanderers, and the Croy Colts. Despite placing these teams in such lowly positions I wouldn't be surprised if any graced the top 6, I just think they lack what the others have. I admire what Cowdenbeath are doing, but from experience. A young squad will make a lot of mistakes and lack the knowledge to get through sticky situations. The League Cup games don't help either, chasing shadows for 4 games against much better sides doesn't help anbody. I'm sure their season will have some highs, confident in saying they'll take a few scalps but I don't think it'll be enough. If they get off to a bad start it could be a long year. Berwick just baffle me, just a bunch of players that are past it. I am shocked that people are tipping them to challenge for the title, mid table at best. Edusport and Cumbernauld, they keep their business quiet but will be two solid outfits again. A few players from Dunipaces treble winning u20 team have gone to Colts so intrigued to see how they get on. The job Gary Jardine has done at CSS is unbeleivable but things are just getting harder for them each year. Other clubs invest but Civil dont have the capability to, always a solid side and the tactical nous will keep them punching way above their weight.

12th-14th: University of Bridge of Allan, the artists formally known as Gretna and Gala Pixiedean Rovers. Impossible to call Stirling Uni untill they play but they've lost quite a few influential members of their squad, namely Penker to Spartans and Doan to Bonnyrigg. Unless they have some hot fresh meat then they might be in danger. Gretna have a completely new squad after moving to the central belt I think. Currie and Dickinson were stand outs for Dalbeattie which should propel Gretna away slightly from the threat of relegation. Gala have been stalwarts of the LL but year by year they're slipping down the table. Some brutal hammerings in pre season doesn't whet the whistle. 

15th-16th: University of Peffermill Baking Faculty and Dalbeattie self-luminous gaseous spheroidal celestial body of great mass. My relegation candidates for this year. Edinburgh Uni, much like Stirling but without the centre of sports excellence. If it wasn't for Vale they'd have gone a few years back. Dalbeattie were sliding down the table after their great start and have lost their management and a lot of players. We may sadly have to say goodbye to their Rangers Social Club, the junkie wains behind the goal and last but not least the Birchtree Hotel with its wonderful beer garden looking onto the burn. 

Looking forward to this season in what will be the first full season post COVID. Good luck to all the teams*, not the greatest league to be in with the Colts, vanity projects and universities but may the best outfit prevail. 

This post was made in tribute to bravehearts dad. Gone but never forgotton. Cmon the rose.

F&ck me craigie. That was a journey!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Great result for Strollers. Hopefully can upset the odds again this season, there's a lot of young talent in the squad - Mac Whyte, Bob Cole and Euan Valentine to name just a few. Belter of a free kick from the latter last night.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Great result for Strollers. Hopefully can upset the odds again this season, there's a lot of young talent in the squad - Mac Whyte, Bob Cole and Euan Valentine to name just a few. Belter of a free kick from the latter last night.

Aye and two of them were never given a chance with us by a former manager.

Connor Smith, was that the boy who was on loan at Queen’s Park last season? Surely he isn’t going to be playing a season in the lowland league.

I heard he done very well last season in league 1, a lot of potential.

Just now, Connor7 said:

Connor Smith, was that the boy who was on loan at Queen’s Park last season? Surely he isn’t going to be playing a season in the lowland league.

Same boy. He'll go out on loan in the next few weeks I'd imagine.

Just now, Connor7 said:

That’s him.  He’s had spells at a few teams and done well in them all.