Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Ready for my return to Scotland, July 23-31, looking like I'll take in a few Lowland League games - at least they play midweek unlike some others (why have lights if you don't use them - expensive waste of income) All reliant on public transport and rail strikes, fingers crossed again. See ya soon

On 14/07/2022 at 20:41, Andy groundhopper said:

Ready for my return to Scotland, July 23-31, looking like I'll take in a few Lowland League games - at least they play midweek unlike some others (why have lights if you don't use them - expensive waste of income) All reliant on public transport and rail strikes, fingers crossed again. See ya soon

Always good to welcome a groundhopper, a passion of mine too.

I'll be taking in the Midlands league that week - Tayport v Lochee United (27th) in midweek - the only two licensed clubs in the division, and two of the 5 best clubs in the league.  Great set up at Tayport too with very nice facilities but not been in years now.

As part of a family hol that week up in the Fife area, I'm hoping to visit nearby Tayside the following Saturday to see Lochee Harp v Letham (30th).  Seen Harp before too but they've since converted their ground into a new 3g arena so quite keen to re-visit.

Hope you have a great time wherever you end up!

I attended Edinburgh United 1-1 Gretna 2008 today. I know it was only a PSF so it might not tell much, but based on what I saw, Gretna will be in trouble. They were no better than their tier 8 opponents. They didn't create many chances and a draw was probably the right result.

Well Lowland League fans what's your predictions for your team this season ?

Last season Bo'ness United finished 11th. This season I reckon we will be pushing for a top six finish.

The manager has been busy in the last month and has strengthened the team significantly. I reckon we are improved in 8 or 9 positions and the team has showed plenty of promise in the preseason games.

Biggest difference is we have a good number 9 who can hold the ball up or hold his own against big defenders. Makes it easier for our attacking midfield to play forward balls rather than loads of sideways passes.

Looking forward to the BU scoring more goals......just have to hope our defence stays strong.

Mon the BU's !!!

I think Brechin will stroll the Highland League this season , Linlithgow the EOS Premier and Auchinlek will win a tight WOS . 

The Lowland League will be tight with Rangers ,Celtic , Hearts ,East Kilbride at the top.

I think Gretna will finish bottom .

I think Shire will finish midtable, I'm not really familiar with the guys we've signed and I haven't been at any of our pre-season games, but even if we stand still I think Bo'ness and Open Goal Broomhill Football Club will improve, and it was fine margins for us finishing above Berwick and CSS, so wont take a lot for us to slip down a few places. Mind you, I thought that at the start of last season and it went better, so who knows. We may be reliant on loan signings again over the course of the season.

Edit: plus the inclusion of Cowden and Tranent, who I probably expect will be looking to finish in the top 6

In terms of real teams who can actually be promoted, looks like East Kilbride and Spartans will be favourites imo.  

Edited by AlansHotBath

EK will be clear at the top come the end of the season, they have too much quality for everyone else. Berwick will surprise a few this year, and I’m taking them to be runners up. At the bottom, I can see Ed Uni and Dalbeattie fighting out bottom spot.

4 hours ago, Dalry llama said:

I think Brechin will stroll the Highland League this season , Linlithgow the EOS Premier and Auchinlek will win a tight WOS . 

The Lowland League will be tight with Rangers ,Celtic , Hearts ,East Kilbride at the top.

I think Gretna will finish bottom...

Are Hearts B likely to be as strong as the Old Firm teams? Time will tell I guess but suspect Rangers B then Celtic B will be the top two. I'll go for EK, Spartans, Bo'ness United and Tranent to round out the top six in that order with Dalbeattie Star and Gretna as the bottom two. Think the three former SPFL clubs will all be safely midtable and could potentially push into the top six. No idea what to expect from OG Broomhill but hope it's a fiasco.

Would question whether any club could ever stroll the HL given how lopsided it is on playing standards and how financially doped certain clubs with negligible supports can be. Will be interesting to see how Banks o Dee do this season and if they can break into the Brora-Buckie-Fraserburgh-Brechin level or will be more in the Inverurie Locos-Rothes-Formartine sort of orbit.  

I think Cowden will have a very slow start but pick up form around October time.  I'd take a top 5 finish to be honest as we lack experience. We could do with scoring a goal as well :D 

7 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

We've played pretty well in our pre season games (I know, I know) but I really think with our current squad and set up we'll win the league in the same manner that bonnyrig did last year.

Mon the kilby 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

48AED8C4-970E-45E1-BF6A-686AC254060C.gif

East Kilbride

Open Goal Broomhill

Rangers B

Celtic B

Spartans 

Berwick

Hearts B

Bo'ness

Tranent

CSS

Cowden

Caledonian Braves

Cumbernauld Colts

East Stirling 

Stirling Uni

Gretna

Gala Fairydean 

Edinburgh Uni

Dalbeattie

Rangers B vs Civil Service originally scheduled for this Saturday at Dumbarton has been reversed to Christie Gillies Park & is now on Friday night. Sure this is not in any way related to Rangers playing Spurs at Ibrox on the original scheduled date.

East Kilbride
Open Goal Broomhill
Rangers B
Celtic B
Spartans 
Berwick
Hearts B
Bo'ness
Tranent
CSS
Cowden
Caledonian Braves
Cumbernauld Colts
East Stirling 
Stirling Uni
Gretna
Gala Fairydean 
Edinburgh Uni
Dalbeattie

I reckon Hearts B will finish 3 to 5 places lower.