The Tierney Conundrum

ArabFC

On 13/06/2022 at 11:17, 2426255 said:

Do folk not remember us being scudded off Russians and Belgium home and away when we played a back four (due to Tierney being injured)? The teams current problems are not rooted in team shape and tactics.

Mikey Devlin played CH in one ofthose games.  The rest of the team was also far worse

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Captain Saintsible said:

On the bench tonight for Arsenal after coming back from injury, came on as a late sub.

But his replacement, Zinchenko had a great debut with the assist for the first goal.

Looks like Tierney faces some tough competition and will need to stay fit. 

I think its quite likely Zinchenko was bought to play midfield, with the added bonus that he's a very good left back when Tierney inevitably does get injured.

Its a clever signing if you look at it like that. But everyone fit, Tierney is first choice. He would be first choice in better teams than arsenal.

Said on the PL thread that Zinchenko helps Arsenal be more fluid down their left as he's much more suited to coming inside than Tierney and is decent on the overlap. Means Martinelli, Zinchenko and Xhaka can all take up the same position at different points in the match. Tierney's a more reliable defender and better at more of the typical attacking full-back stuff.

They're two good options who might rotate depending on opponent, they can play together (either with Zinchenko in midfield or Tierney at CB in a 3) or the current Arsenal controversy might force Zinchenko to move into midfield anyway.

Interestingly, Arsenal are now in the same dilemma as Scotland where two of their best players (Tierney being one of them) are left backs. 

I suspect Zinchenko will end up playing midfield although I’m intrigued by the idea of Tierney converting into a CDM ala Lahm/Kimmich. I think he could be an absolute beast in that role. 

I thought Ange Postecoglu made a good point in his press conference which is relevant to this discussion about Arsenal, Tierney and Zinchenko when he said he wanted to make his team stronger as a collective with respect to recruitment so that on a week to week basis his players weren't being overburdened physically. When asked about Stephen Welsh he then went on to say this:

I don't look at it that way, I know people like to look at it that way, I understand why - this whole notion of 1st XI's and 2nd XI's and who's starting and who's not, but all along my thinking around these things is that I select a team for a game and that's it really.

I select an XI that's going to give us a decent chance of getting on top of the opposition. Once the game's over the game's over and a whole range of things come into whether he restarts. The shirt is there for all of them whether they're starting or not. Whether it's Welshy or anyone else in the team, they know we're going to play 50 something games this year and if I can get 30 or 40 really top quality games out of the majority of them then it gives u a good chance of success.

Ange Postecoglu

https://youtu.be/Bx55Jr3K-hQ?t=919

So yeah, I think it's about the squad and horses for courses rather than a one player being the #1 over another player for the whole season. If anything it will reduce the risk of injury for Tierney and therefore increase the odds he will be available for Scotland.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I thought Ange Postecoglu made a good point in his press conference which is relevant to this discussion about Arsenal, Tierney and Zinchenko when he said he wanted to make his team stronger as a collective with respect to recruitment so that on a week to week basis his players weren't being overburdened physically. When asked about Stephen Welsh he then went on to say this:

https://youtu.be/Bx55Jr3K-hQ?t=919

So yeah, I think it's about the squad and horses for courses rather than a one player being the #1 over another player for the whole season. If anything it will reduce the risk of injury for Tierney and therefore increase the odds he will be available for Scotland.

Yeah, totally agree, it’s a squad game and this might actually help Scotland 

• 3 weeks later...

Zinchenko injured so Tierney starts again tonight, not seen the game but apparently he played well.

We need him to be on top form to cement his place, and force Zinchenko into a midfield place.

I always thought that might be the case but it relys on Tierney playing well. Which tbf he pretty much always does.