Armenia v Scotland

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

I missed most of this - were we as shite at the back as Willie Miller says?

We could have fielded Willie Miller at centre half today and defended better.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Genuinely one of the worst defensive displays I've seen from Scotland in the first half.

Some dodgy moments second half too.

A good win there and a decent enough performance (in spells) but our defending was still worrying at times and we were helped massively by the Armenian lads being both thick as mince and not very good.

A truly gutting international break all round, and one that has sucked the good feeling out of the side. The players have looked knackered and desperately in need of a break from the minute they stepped on to the park against Ukraine, hopefully we can sort ourselves out and come back fresh in September looking somewhat close to our best again, but after some of the performances there i'm not really sure what our level actually is just now. Ah well. 

Edited by Fratelli

We were utter shite in Eire and against Ukraine, but we did what we needed to do tonight.

I wonder if other nations who win 4-1 away from home have as critical a support.

Probably tbf.

E.T.A the defensive shape was a bit funny, but we were hit by injuries/marriages so had to put out what we could.

It's an international at the end of a hard season. If we'd beaten Eire we probably wouldn't be nitpicking this result. 

Edited by velo army

Just now, velo army said:

We were utter shite in Eire and against Ukraine, but we did what we needed to do tonight.

I wonder if other nations who win 4-1 away from home have as critical a support.

Probably tbf.

What’s the saying? Two wrongs don’t make a right? Good win tonight but I’m still too bitter about Ukraine (heroic a standing aside as it was, Russia bad, Qatar bad) and Eire. We still shat it when it mattered unfortunately. It’s the hope that kills you. I wish we were consistently pish or consistently good. 

I'd have taken 1-0 before the game just to get through this horrible window with a chance, so it's churlish to complain about a 4-1 win.

However, we could easily have conceded two or three before the first sending-off, and would've needed improvement to have a chance of winning against 11 men. Thankfully Armenia are a bunch of intemperate hammer throwers, but it was also disappointing to see how we regressed again in the final 25 minutes.

I don't know what's going on at the back, but there's a lot of work to be done before September.

Good strong result in the end. Can't sniff at a 4-1 away win. Even better, it was all attacking players who scored, blowing away that building narrative that all our goals come from defenders.

Lessons over this window are:
-the back 3 is really suspect without Tierney
-our system looks easily undone by an opposition press
-our defensive line looks highly vulnerable to balls over the top

Also, I've mentioned the end of season tiredness thing before. While it can't be used as an excuse, there's no doubt at all that this same group of players look well rusty and about 60% as sharp as when they completed that 6 game winning run. Gilmour sending passes astray, Adams labouring to make space, McGinn snatching at chances etc etc. They will be markedly stronger come September.

Any kind of win here was a good result so to pump them can't be knocked even with only taking control against 10 men, but overall this international break should still see the end of the back three. Every single team has it figured out now and it needs to end.

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

Any kind of win here was a good result so to pump them can't be knocked even with only taking control against 10 men, but overall this international break should still see the end of the back three. Every single team has it figured out now and it needs to end.

I don't think we're quite at the death of it yet, Tierney back in for September and Clarke will (maybe rightly) think a return to the normal defence will see it right itself.  Managers are stubborn.  

I think how you view that depends on your opinion of this Scotland squad.

If you think we're a bit crap then any win is welcome but if you want to see us regularly qualifying for tournaments then beating shite like Armenia should be a formality.

Doubt we'll finish above Ukraine but we know won't be finishing bottom at least.

After this window I am increasingly of the desire to have our players play in any league other than the English top tier. It's a league that relies so much on athleticism that our players were exhausted by the end. Hanley is a rapid defender but was outpaced by a sloth like Yarmolenko.

Granted, the lack of doping controls will have been a factor there, but he looked fucked tonight too 

29 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

We certainly were, particularly at the start and at the end. In the middle they didn’t really bother us too much.