Armenia v Scotland

Humiliating 3-0 away loss followed by another away game to an even worse team. This game has a vague San Marino away feel to it from a few years ago (playjng a much better side obviously).

Really not sure how this game will go tbh.

On 13/06/2022 at 11:12, The 55 said:

Thought Christie was the poorest of a bad bunch on Saturday, and frankly not much better against Armenia. Too lightweight amongst other things. As goals are a perennial problem, I would give Stewart an opportunity. I have never been a huge fan of McGregor either, so would like to see Turnbull given a run-out.

That's crazy talk M8,McGregor plays the number 6 role not the 8 role,if you're dropping Christie it can only be Turnbull,coming from a mighty well fan you should know that.

McGregor should only be dropped if both his legs are hanging off. The lad is, for me, the first outfield name on the team sheet.

I can see the team having a hard look at themselves and coming out swinging for this. Patterson has to start as we need pace. Gilmour needs to start to play the penetrating shroo balls and to move the ball forward. McGinn would be lucky to keep his place as he's been rotten of late (Armenia game aside, but that's a low bar). I'd stick Turnbull in for McGinn, with Armstrong playing off Adams. Che just needs one to go in off his arse and he'll be right as rain.

I'm also missing this due to work, but I'll try to leave early and catch the 2nd half. Hopefully we have it wrapped up by then and I can just relax and enjoy it.

41 minutes ago, velo army said:

McGregor should only be dropped if both his legs are hanging off. The lad is, for me, the first outfield name on the team sheet.

I can see the team having a hard look at themselves and coming out swinging for this. Patterson has to start as we need pace. Gilmour needs to start to play the penetrating shroo balls and to move the ball forward. McGinn would be lucky to keep his place as he's been rotten of late (Armenia game aside, but that's a low bar). I'd stick Turnbull in for McGinn, with Armstrong playing off Adams. Che just needs one to go in off his arse and he'll be right as rain.

I'm also missing this due to work, but I'll try to leave early and catch the 2nd half. Hopefully we have it wrapped up by then and I can just relax and enjoy it.

Can't disagree with much there at all.

I'm hopeful we will win today. There hasn't been much information available leading into the game so it's hard to get a measure of what to expect. That leaves plenty of room for speculation which I tend not to pay attention to.

If we perform poorly and get a win I'll be fine with that. If we perform well I'll still be able to stomach a poor result even after the game at the weekend, but it will be a bitter pill to swallow if we produce another bad performance and result combined.

58 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

They were, but that wasn't a good measure of their ability.  They are far more capable than the way they setup against us.

This is mince,if Scotland don't win it will be a shock M8,this is the classic case of not knowing where Scotland is under SC.

54 minutes ago, velo army said:

I agree with Patterson Ralston looked like he was struggling at the end of the Irish game,could we get away with playing the 3 pretenders in the middle of the park(McTominay,Gilmour and Turnbull) it would be good to see but I doubt it M8.

28 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I agree with Patterson Ralston looked like he was struggling at the end of the Irish game,could we get away with playing the 3 pretenders in the middle of the park(McTominay,Gilmour and Turnbull) it would be good to see but I doubt it M8.

I don't see McTam playing midfield just now. I'd bring him on second half when we're comfortable (my sides!!) but a midfield 3 of Sir Billy, Calmac and Turnbull (hasn't played enough to earn a nickname yet) would be, as my younger friends would have it, baller.

15 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't see McTam playing midfield just now. I'd bring him on second half when we're comfortable (my sides!!) but a midfield 3 of Sir Billy, Calmac and Turnbull (hasn't played enough to earn a nickname yet) would be, as my younger friends would have it, baller.

Agreed. We've been missing pace, impetus, and players being comfortable on the ball and to drive forward with it.  McGregor and Gilmour already have that (McGregor can play forever and Gilmour shouldn't be tired at this point).  Turnbull obviously offers that as well.

McTominay is a great sub when you need someone to keep the game going.

I'd play Patterson from the start.  Ralston has been good, but he lacks pace and the athleticism that Patterson has.  Patterson should also be very fresh for this.  None of us can know what we'll play at the back (do we have 3 x fit centre halves?!), but I'd rather have the more mobile and ball-comfortable defenders playing.  If we're playing 3atb, I'd rather have McTominay playing than Hanley, and then deal with Souttar/Hendry, one playing out of position.

Robertson stays.  Replace him with Hickey/Taylor if he's tired, or the score allows for us to freshen it up.

Gilmour - McGregor - Turnbull; and Armstrong playing off Adams.

If we're winning comfortably then I don't honestly care what subs we make.  All of the above is said not accounting for any fitness/injury issues that we don't know about beyond McKenna.

45 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:
On 12/06/2022 at 17:18, ArabianKnight said:
The team on Tuesday will be exactly the same as the one that started against them the other day bar one or two changes. 

So not exactly the same then, cheers for clarifying.

The Scotland Team of Theseus

Maintaining the same team would give the chance for redemption from the players although heavily relying on trust they perform and get a result. It would potentially make his continuation as manager pretty heavily challenged in the event of similar levels of failings along with accusations over stubbornness to change akin to the levels of outcry at Levein 4-6-0 fiasco.

There will be changes as something has to be done to freshen up and bring a bit more spark, but several players look spent and need rested while other look fragile in terms of confidence.

Probably a fairly comfortable win without scoring many, same as the first match against them. They haven't shown much against anyone so far, even Ireland.

That comes with the caveat that I thought that's what we'd do in Dublin, so what do I know.