Armenia v Scotland

31 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

So back to basics with mainly the same players who failed in Ireland, apart from a couple of defenders?

Are we not better trying to get a few other squad players involved who maybe won’t be quite as knackered?

3451D55B-C785-4CE7-82B9-B755BFDA47C7.jpeg

The paradox is: start a similar tired team, fail to win and get smashed in the media for it. Alternatively, change it up to an inexperienced team that can’t cope with the heat, the pressure, or simply aren’t good enough, and get smashed in the media for it. 

Neither option is obviously a good one, at least imo. 

The middle ground is probably the best option: Patterson in, Gilmour in, Brown in, maybe Armstrong and/or Turnbull.

I’d leave McGregor, Robertson, Adams as experience counts and they haven’t been the worst. I’d drop McGinn, and I’d drop Hanley if we could. 

Not sure we can even play 3atb if McKenna is out. He went off injured yesterday anyway.

That said, even a centre back out of position on the left should be able to cope. Armenia will be more attacking than in Glasgow but they were diabolical, so would be hard to improve by a big enough margin to cause us issues. 

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

The paradox is: start a similar tired team, fail to win and get smashed in the media for it. Alternatively, change it up to an inexperienced team that can’t cope with the heat, the pressure, or simply aren’t good enough, and get smashed in the media for it. 
Neither option is obviously a good one, at least imo. 
The middle ground is probably the best option: Patterson in, Gilmour in, Brown in, maybe Armstrong and/or Turnbull.
I’d leave McGregor, Robertson, Adams as experience counts and they haven’t been the worst. I’d drop McGinn, and I’d drop Hanley if we could. 
Not sure we can even play 3atb if McKenna is out. He went off injured yesterday anyway.
That said, even a centre back out of position on the left should be able to cope. Armenia will be more attacking than in Glasgow but they were diabolical, so would be hard to improve by a big enough margin to cause us issues. 
[Assuming we don't move to back four:]

I forgot about Turnbull. I'd maybe start him depending on the makeup of the front three.

It'd be interesting to see how Clarke would react to McKenna being out. Hendry and Hanley haven't shown themselves to be good at progressing the ball from the wide CB position, and McTominay or Souttar would lose something if asked to play on the left. Can't have multiple CBs incapable of passing the ball, though, so either one of those two move there or Robertson does.

I tend to think we should get a reaction from the players in this one,if we don't there is something seriously wrong.
Whatever system we play we should win this game,no excuses about the heat or end of season pish.
It should've been 4 or 5 at Hampden I expect at least 3 here.

I tend to think we should get a reaction from the players in this one,if we don't there is something seriously wrong.
Whatever system we play we should win this game,no excuses about the heat or end of season pish.
It should've been 4 or 5 at Hampden I expect at least 3 here.
No way we're scoring 3 (delighted if I'm wrong).
Outside Faroes/Gibraltar/San Marino we never score highly.

9 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

No way we're scoring 3 (delighted if I'm wrong).
Outside Faroes/Gibraltar/San Marino we never score highly.

My thinking is we could lose one so three would be acceptable in terms of a reaction.
One nothing is turgid, two nothing well expected.

I've been a big critic of the back three in certain situations for a long time, but I don't think this is one of those situations. It's tended to work well when we can dominate the game. It wasn't the approach I wanted for the Ukraine or Ireland games, but I'm fine with it in the games against Armenia. 

If Clarke wants to try a back four of Patterson-Souter-McKenna-Robertson, then that's fine by me, but I don't think this is the situation that it's necessary in. We completely dominated Armenia midweek, and we can be confident of doing the same again (despite the same old problems appearing in the Ireland and Ukraine matches). 

Heat

Travel

Fatigue

These are things I don't want to hear about from the manager or the players. Ready made excuses, and that sort of pish did us in before the Kazakhstan game.

There should be multiple changes, but I doubt we'll see that.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

back 3 with McTominay in it is a must for me.

Give the guy a break, even he probably doesn't want that. He is being thoroughly professional and taking one for the team by accepting his manager's decision. Poor lad, my heart goes out to him knowing that it's a thankless task. He's just not a defender.

21 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

Give the guy a break, even he probably doesn't want that. He is being thoroughly professional and taking one for the team by accepting his manager's decision. Poor lad, my heart goes out to him knowing that it's a thankless task. He's just not a defender.

Hes not a midfielder either M9.

Absolutely massive now, a win totally vital for the NL campaign. As shite as they looked at Hampden they were getting chances against Ukraine in the afternoon yesterday. 

That fucking aberration yesterday is the second time a bad team has beaten us under Steve Clarke - win tomorrow and reset for September IMO. 

Starting the September camp with two home games could help us with the situation we have put ourselves in. If we can take 3 points on Tuesday night then the picture changes ever so slightly and the home game with Ukraine to open the September games becomes massive.

Edited by Loominous

I don't suppose anyone thinks there's any chance of RoI taking anything from their match against Ukraine? 
(Asking for an increasingly desperate football-crazy country.) 
I'm misguidedly hopeful that ROI could do something after the boost of horsing us.

8 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

...aa494813e8b51740fbd3f2a9cd03b6e0.jpg

Thought Christie was the poorest of a bad bunch on Saturday, and frankly not much better against Armenia. Too lightweight amongst other things. As goals are a perennial problem, I would give Stewart an opportunity. I have never been a huge fan of McGregor either, so would like to see Turnbull given a run-out.