General SWPL discussion - Season 22/23

ScotsFootieFan

Celtic 8 Partick Thistle 0. First women's match I've watched since the Euros. Well. I didn't see it all, but by the time I tumbled into it Celtic were 3 up. I dipped in and out in the second half, and every time I came back, Celtic had scored another goal, so I had to rewind.. Hard to tell how good Celtic were, Thistle were well beat by half time.

Good to see Celtic have trained up their women to yap at the ref like their men.

Fairly shit game for the "big two". 0-0 and neither GK really troubled. Rangers seem to have reverted to their problem of 2/3 seasons ago where they couldnt beat any of the other 2 big teams. 3 (I think) league games this season so far v Glasgow City and Celtic and theyve drawn every one of them. Long way back for Rangers who like the mens team seem to have been a one season wonder in the league 

Edited by Thereisalight..

I went to Hearts v Celtic at The Oriam. A swirling wind didn't help the game and the rain in the second half didn't help the spectators

It was fairly even up until the point Amy Gallagher got past the defence and Jacynta helped her shot into the net. Minutes later Shen Menglu's shot across goal went in via the far post. Hearts got a goal back in the second half from Jenny Smith and had a shot kicked off the line. I would say Hearts were perhaps worthy of a point but it was the quickfire double in the first half that won it for Celtic 

It's Celtic v Rangers on Friday night.... Oddly enough Celtic have at least one Gers fan in their team 

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I went to Hearts v Celtic at The Oriam. A swirling wind didn't help the game and the rain in the second half didn't help the spectators

It was fairly even up until the point Amy Gallagher got past the defence and Jacynta helped her shot into the net. Minutes later Shen Menglu's shot across goal went in via the far post. Hearts got a goal back in the second half from Jenny Smith and had a shot kicked off the line. I would say Hearts were perhaps worthy of a point but it was the quickfire double in the first half that won it for Celtic 

It's Celtic v Rangers on Friday night.... Oddly enough Celtic have at least one Gers fan in their team 

Who? Not really a suprise as Rangers women have at least 1 Celtic fan in the team as well 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Spartans v Celtic last night. 

Spartans defence played well in the first half while the home side didn't trouble Celtic's goal much although they were denied by a good block on the line. 

Celtic eventually made the breakthrough in 48 minutes when Shen Menglu showed good footwork in the box and picked out sub Jacynta Galabadaarachichi. This Celtic team usually score goals in bunches and Ferguson got the second a few minutes after. Celtic's third came when a Spartans defender sliced the ball in for an o.g. 

Three nil was slightly flattering to my mind. Best players for Spartans were Alana Marshall and Rachael Harrison who pulled off a couple of great saves. Jacynta and Menglu caught the eye for Celtic.

I thought the usually competitive Ronaigh Douglas might have started for Spartans (a thought her Dad apparently shared!) but she was benched and never got on

Crowd was counted at 122 mostly huddled at the back of the stand on a miserable night.. still a Bains Bridie at half time made up for it. A fox was wandering about the grass terrace for those who know Ainslie Park and had a quick look at proceedings before buggering off 

With Gers winning tonight three teams are still in the hunt for the title although if Celtic and Rangers have any hope one or both of them will have to take something off Glasgow City 

On 11/02/2023 at 21:15, the west curve said:

How are Rangers allowed to play on the worst plastic pitch in Scotland? It makes the league look Minny mouse.

Broadwood is a horrible venue all round. Freezing cold, soulless and shite pitch. No idea why they left the training centre. The pitch there was top class but outwith GC and Celtic the capacity of the training centre was more than big enough 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Big match for us tonight.  Three points essential.  I will tut very loudly if we choke.  Again.

Not looking too good for you at the minute T_K. Your 'keeper made a right hash of their goal. imo

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Aye, fuming here.  Terrible from Fife.

Our uselessness in front of goal strikes again.  We've had the bulk of possession, too.

Tried to walk it into the net just before half time instead of hitting it.

Those two quick goals at the start of the second half killed the game. Rangers had as much of the ball thereafter as Celtic, but Celtic always looked capable of upping a gear.

With a bit of luck and some composure in front of goal Rangers might have had a couple of goals.

Had the teams swapped 'keepers before the game it would have finished 1-1.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Good interview with Eva Olid.  There's something very likeable about her - plus Hearts are the most improved team of the season:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64763071

Are Hearts not on live the next time?