General SWPL discussion - Season 22/23

ScotsFootieFan

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Emma Brownlie is a class act. Good lass too 

Rangers should be playing Cav- one of Hibs better players last season and has a bit of drive and dig about her.

Emma Brownlie CA and Dr Ciara Grant in the same team?  Hearts are  improving by degrees...

Rangers 2 Hibs 0, Women's Premier League Cup Final 

Tynecastle.

Fairly easy for a polished Rangers side. Hibs couldn't get past a good defence and Jenna Fife only had about 1 save to make what I saw 

Two cracking goals- a curled effort into the far corner from Lizzie Arnot and an equally good drive from sub Kirsty Howat in the 75th minute. 

I left after that goal. Not because I have anything against Rangers Women and I knew some of the ex-Hibees who now play for the team and am happy for them. It's just that it was f*cking cold 🥶

Edited by tamthebam
Evil spellchecker

On 11/12/2022 at 19:43, tamthebam said:

Fairly easy for a polished Rangers side. Hibs couldn't get past a good defence and Jenna Fife only had about 1 save to make what I saw 

I missed Sunday's game as I'm doing a bit of a tour for a few weeks but caught up 'social media' and it seemed a bit of a one-sided affair.  

When you say, 'polished Rangers side' I wanted to post just Arnot's goal - it was a beezer - so searched Twitter for "lizzie goal rangers" which returned this from May 2018:

Apart from wee Brogan - whom you can see at 00.18 - that Rangers side is unrecognisable from the team that won on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2022 at 18:39, Craig fae the Vale said:

Eileen Gleeson has left Glasgow City, a bit of a waffley statement from them but seems she had taken a sabbatical from her job to take over, and her employers have recalled her. Leanne Ross in charge on an interim basis.

I was quite critical of Gleeson but she seemed to have got City playing good football this season.  Hope it all works out for them.

58 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I was quite critical of Gleeson but she seemed to have got City playing good football this season.  Hope it all works out for them.

Aye, I wasn't her biggest fan initially, but had won me over recently. Ross has just gotten her UEFA A Licence, so should definitely be a good coach at the very least. Will be interesting to see how she does. I'd imagine she'll be in post til the end of the season, with a decision made going forward after that. She's a club legend so I'd imagine she'll be given some time.

It's important for the SWPL for City to be competitive, a mirror of the SPFL with Rangers and Celtic dominating doesn't do anyone any good.

21 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Aye, I wasn't her biggest fan initially, but had won me over recently. Ross has just gotten her UEFA A Licence, so should definitely be a good coach at the very least. Will be interesting to see how she does. I'd imagine she'll be in post til the end of the season, with a decision made going forward after that. She's a club legend so I'd imagine she'll be given some time.

It's important for the SWPL for City to be competitive, a mirror of the SPFL with Rangers and Celtic dominating doesn't do anyone any good.

Yeah - but it's all about budget.  G City - as a self-funded, women's only team - are a bit of a unicorn.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yeah - but it's all about budget.  G City - as a self-funded, women's only team - are a bit of a unicorn.

Aye it will be interesting to see how long they can remain competitive now budgets are going up with the clubs affiliated to the men's teams.

So farewell Dina:

Not a surprise, though.  We're replete  with midfielders and Wee Cavanagh is a much better option in that 'inside left' role.

Even though we'll hit double figures vs Stirling Yooni in the cup on Sunday our big problem is scoring goals.  We have no one who can make angles or ghost behind defenders like wee Janey Ross did.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Hearts v Rangers game on Sunday. Rangers were honking and Hearts defended really really well and deserved their point. Rangers really missing Jane Ross for her goals and link up play with Arnot

Last seasons champions down to 3rd. A long way to go but City are looking like faves for the title at this moment in time. Big game v them and Rangers at the end of the month. 

On 06/01/2023 at 19:10, The_Kincardine said:

So farewell Dina:

Even though we'll hit double figures vs Stirling Yooni in the cup on Sunday our big problem is scoring goals.  We have no one who can make angles or ghost behind defenders like wee Janey Ross did.

On 17/01/2023 at 00:56, Thereisalight.. said:

Watched the Hearts v Rangers game on Sunday. Rangers were honking and Hearts defended really really well and deserved their point. Rangers really missing Jane Ross for her goals and link up play with Arnot

Indeed.

With Ra Hoopettes dropping points last night maybe they'll be finding the loss of Larisey as quite significant.  City's to lose now but they still have to play 'us' and ;them' 2x each.