General SWPL discussion - Season 22/23

ScotsFootieFan

18 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Have a soft spot for rangers women due to the amount of current/ex Scotland players in the squad. Took in the game v Motherwell last week. My first time at Broadwood, by fck it's cold and out the way. Prefer Glasgow teams to actually play in Glasgow but that's by the by. Went to Tinto Park yesterday, why did they get rid of the seats?! 

Celtic look strong this season. Thought theyd struggle for goals after Wellings left but Larrasey and Jacynta have been on fire. Think they look good for the title 

Amazing how little it takes to fall out with someone 😎

Seriously, though, if I had to pick a winner right now it would be the Hoopettes.  They have upped their game this season and look very pacey.  We, in contrast, are looking a bit pedestrian.  Not helped by injuries, though.  Ross is a big miss as we've no guile up front.  Having Davison and Hill crocked means not only have we a makeweight CH - Middag - but we're also missing her in midfield.  And Danielsson had a brilliant start to the season but is out with an injury, too.

OTOH Martinez looks a good (re)acquisition.  I'd also be interested on your take on Maddie Nolf at RB.  On the few moments we've seen her she looks excellent but you'll have a better perspective.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Benburb needed to put in cover for an SFA license. The seats ended up at Kilwinning in case yer wondering.

It's a shit cover. About 15 feet away from the pitch. Should have extended it. Could they not have just added a cover to the seats?

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Cup quarter final draw.

20221004_162612.jpg

Would have liked to have saw Killie get a home tie to one of the big 3, purely to cut down on petrol for me having to go to Glasgow or beyond 😂

41 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Amazing how little it takes to fall out with someone 😎

Seriously, though, if I had to pick a winner right now it would be the Hoopettes.  They have upped their game this season and look very pacey.  We, in contrast, are looking a bit pedestrian.  Not helped by injuries, though.  Ross is a big miss as we've no guile up front.  Having Davison and Hill crocked means not only have we a makeweight CH - Middag - but we're also missing her in midfield.  And Danielsson had a brilliant start to the season but is out with an injury, too.

OTOH Martinez looks a good (re)acquisition.  I'd also be interested on your take on Maddie Nolf at RB.  On the few moments we've seen her she looks excellent but you'll have a better perspective.

Yeah without Jane I think the team looks quite passive. They create a lot of chances yet "only" scored 4 or 5 v Motherwell and Queens Park. Howat hasnt been the same since her injury albeit she got a hat trick on Sunday. Nolf has impressed. Thought she was good v Well and then again on Sunday. Another one I was impressed with was Cavanagh.  Started to think she was a myth as she was on the bench and never got on until the Motherwell game. 

Davison and Danielsson are a strange pair. Saw them moping around the last 2 domestic games and they were in the clubhouse at Tinto Park all game up until the last 5 mins. Can see them being away by Christmas. They seem a bit ostracised and from watching Rangers women the last few season, that's odd, they're all a friendly bunch and always have time to speak to the fans and thank them for their support

26 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It's a shit cover. About 15 feet away from the pitch. Should have extended it. Could they not have just added a cover to the seats?

Would have liked to have saw Killie get a home tie to one of the big 3, purely to cut down on petrol for me having to go to Glasgow or beyond 😂

Yeah without Jane I think the team looks quite passive. They create a lot of chances yet "only" scored 4 or 5 v Motherwell and Queens Park. Howat hasnt been the same since her injury albeit she got a hat trick on Sunday. Nolf has impressed. Thought she was good v Well and then again on Sunday. Another one I was impressed with was Cavanagh.  Started to think she was a myth as she was on the bench and never got on until the Motherwell game. 

Davison and Danielsson are a strange pair. Saw them moping around the last 2 domestic games and they were in the clubhouse at Tinto Park all game up until the last 5 mins. Can see them being away by Christmas. They seem a bit ostracised and from watching Rangers women the last few season, that's odd, they're all a friendly bunch and always have time to speak to the fans and thank them for their support

Thanks, M77, though you have asked more questions than you've answered!

If we could be sure of a CB pairing of Hill and Martinez I'd not be worried about losing Davison.  She's not the greatest of defenders though she is good going forward.

Losing Danielsson would be a major blow, though.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Thanks, M77, though you have asked more questions than you've answered!

If we could be sure of a CB pairing of Hill and Martinez I'd not be worried about losing Davison.  She's not the greatest of defenders though she is good going forward.

Losing Danielsson would be a major blow, though.

Yeah Martinez looks a good defender. Kinda unlucky losing the 2 CBs Swaby and Westrup and the 2 replacements in Davison and Hill both got injured. Middag is doing a good enough job there at the moment but maybe a different story when up against Jacynta or Chinchilla in the games v the other 2 big teams. 

As far as I'm aware Davison and Danielsson are partners, so I'm sure if one goes they will both go, like they did from AIK. 

As an aside what does Brogan Hay have to do to get into the national team? Criminal shes been overlooked, shes having a great season 

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As far as I'm aware Davison and Danielsson are partners, so I'm sure if one goes they will both go, like they did from AIK. 

You're a mine of useless information!  I just had a keek at Davison's Instagram and looks like you're right!

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As an aside what does Brogan Hay have to do to get into the national team? Criminal shes been overlooked, shes having a great season 

Wee Brogan - all 45 kilos of her - is having a great season.  She is miles ahead of, say, Lana Clelland who, good Rangers fan though she is, is existing on reputation.

But then I'm not a fan of Pedro.  He should be getting a better tune out of the Scotland fiddle.

As an aside to your aside...it's great to see Caroline Weir tearing it up for Royal Madrid.  She's a great lassie.

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You're a mine of useless information!  I just had a keek at Davison's Instagram and looks like you're right!

Wee Brogan - all 45 kilos of her - is having a great season.  She is miles ahead of, say, Lana Clelland who, good Rangers fan though she is, is existing on reputation.

But then I'm not a fan of Pedro.  He should be getting a better tune out of the Scotland fiddle.

As an aside to your aside...it's great to see Caroline Weir tearing it up for Royal Madrid.  She's a great lassie.

Haha, it's not hard to work out things at womens games! You see more, especially if the players are injured

Aye Lana Clelland is gash. Honestly thought Rangers would have went for her in pre season. How the likes of Lisa Robertson and Sophie Howard are getting caps in 2022 whilst Brogan hasnt is the crime of the century

Yip Weir is one of the truly world class women we have right now. Erin Cuthbert is the other

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yeah  - just those two.

Any 'rising stars' that you see in the SWPL?

I've been quite impressed with the 3 Rangers youngsters. Also McAuley came on on Sunday and was a bright spark and should have scored. 

Havent seen anything from any other youngster in the league to think theyll be Scotland first teamers in the future. I liked the look of London Pollard from Well but her form seems to have fell off a cliff this season

21 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I've been quite impressed with the 3 Rangers youngsters. Also McAuley came on on Sunday and was a bright spark and should have scored. 

McAuley scored for Scotland U17s against  Hungary last week in a pair of matches they won 5-3 and 6-3. About 8 of the squad came from Rangers so we seem to be getting this development bit right.

Not sure, at SWPL1 level, we have many future Scotland stars.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

McAuley scored for Scotland U17s against  Hungary last week in a pair of matches they won 5-3 and 6-3. About 8 of the squad came from Rangers so we seem to be getting this development bit right.

Not sure, at SWPL1 level, we have many future Scotland stars.

Yeah I saw that. She looked a bright spark on Sunday. With the national team we dont seem to have youngsters coming through, it's full of has beans and never was, like Clelland, Howard etc. Throw in the fact Corsie, Beattie, Gibson and Nic Doc are now on the wrong side of 30 and there is a big rebuild ahead for say the next Euros 

Cav (Collette Cavanagh) has been one of Hibs better players in recent years so will hopefully get her chance at Rangers

Nice to see Brogan Hay coming good- she was an exciting prospect when she first appeared on the scene 

I suppose Hibs' Mickey McAlonie is still young enough to develop into a potential Scotland player but maybe not with her current club. I'll put it no higher than that 

On 04/10/2022 at 23:48, tamthebam said:

Cav (Collette Cavanagh) has been one of Hibs better players in recent years so will hopefully get her chance at Rangers

Nice to see Brogan Hay coming good- she was an exciting prospect when she first appeared on the scene 

I suppose Hibs' Mickey McAlonie is still young enough to develop into a potential Scotland player but maybe not with her current club. I'll put it no higher than that 

She waited a long time to get game time at Rangers but in the two games I've seen her in Cavanagh has been impressive. Quick and strong on the ball. I'm hoping she gets more games here on in 

Yip Brogan has always been a standout for me since I began watching the womens league. No idea why she is continually overlooked by Pedro. The national team is crying out for energy even if it's just from the bench 

• 2 weeks later...