General SWPL discussion - Season 22/23

ScotsFootieFan

On 25/08/2022 at 12:11, Craig fae the Vale said:

Last night's results

Glasgow City 7-0 Dundee United

Rangers 2-0 Hearts.

And Sunday's fixtures. I'll be at Petershill for City v Aberdeen, anyone else taking in a game?

20220825_121018.jpg

Dundee United vs Hibs could be an east-coast cracker with DU having made a decent start but Hibs not so much.

Accies probably the 'surprise package' so far with two wins from three.

On 28/08/2022 at 15:46, Craig fae the Vale said:

Glasgow City 2-1 Aberdeen Women. 

A good, competitive game. City probably worthy winners, but Aberdeen - much improved from last season - fought hard and made it interesting right to the end.

20220828_130409.jpg

City certainly haven't been steamrolling teams like they have done in the past... good to see!

42 minutes ago, lau03143 said:

City certainly haven't been steamrolling teams like they have done in the past... good to see!

@Craig fae the Valewill know better than me but I think this is because City have got worse rather than other teams improving.  Their results have been odd, though.   Two 7-0 wins then the other two by a single goal apiece.

They took points off both Celtic and us last season.  I'm not sure they'll do so again this season.

17 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

@Craig fae the Valewill know better than me but I think this is because City have got worse rather than other teams improving.  Their results have been odd, though.   Two 7-0 wins then the other two by a single goal apiece.

They took points off both Celtic and us last season.  I'm not sure they'll do so again this season.

There is definitely a case of that too. Maybe not the best of comparisons, but I went to see them play Roma, and thought they were well off the pace. Some of the players that used to bully teams (I am thinking Shine and Lauder in particular), seem to be struggling and wouldn't get into Rangers or Celtic teams. Only player I think would improve Rangers or Celtic is Jenna Clark, think she could be decent player if coached right.

21 minutes ago, lau03143 said:

There is definitely a case of that too. Maybe not the best of comparisons, but I went to see them play Roma, and thought they were well off the pace. Some of the players that used to bully teams (I am thinking Shine and Lauder in particular), seem to be struggling and wouldn't get into Rangers or Celtic teams. Only player I think would improve Rangers or Celtic is Jenna Clark, think she could be decent player if coached right.

I haven't watched them play a full game yet so can only go by the impressions you get from highlights and it was surprising to see them struggle against A'deen yesterday - who haven't won a game yet.  And yes, I'd take  Jenna Clark in a heartbeat!

27 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I haven't watched them play a full game yet so can only go by the impressions you get from highlights and it was surprising to see them struggle against A'deen yesterday - who haven't won a game yet.  And yes, I'd take  Jenna Clark in a heartbeat!

They've been funny this season. There's clearly a talented group of players, but Gleeson doesn't seem to know her best 11, and the constant tinkering of the team is causing a bit of disjointedness. Once she figures out what her best team is I think they'll be up there challenging. First thing I'd do is drop Hayley Lauder, who is a shadow of her former self these days. And I think once the foreign signing acclimatise, City will still be looking to take points off the Old Firm.

16 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Am I right in thinking that there is a full round of fixtures at 2pm on Wednesday 14th September? Or is Google talking mince?

There is a full round of games on the 14th, but they will be evening games.

22 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Am I right in thinking that there is a full round of fixtures at 2pm on Wednesday 14th September? Or is Google talking mince?

Definitely a full round of fixtures, but the 2pm time was a placeholder when the fixture list was released - 2pm was the default time for all games. They'll be evening kick offs.

• 2 weeks later...

Dundee United Women 3-2 Hamilton Academical
Good game, United took the lead after 20 minutes. After that, the guests came more into the game. It was 1-1 at HT and they took the lead just after the restart. After that the Arabs got stronger and fought back. They got another two to get a win which was deserved over the full 90 minutes.e8f68097d49aa6771342f180cfd340f3.jpg

Have a soft spot for rangers women due to the amount of current/ex Scotland players in the squad. Took in the game v Motherwell last week. My first time at Broadwood, by fck it's cold and out the way. Prefer Glasgow teams to actually play in Glasgow but that's by the by. Went to Tinto Park yesterday, why did they get rid of the seats?! 

Celtic look strong this season. Thought theyd struggle for goals after Wellings left but Larrasey and Jacynta have been on fire. Think they look good for the title