General SWPL discussion - Season 22/23

ScotsFootieFan

• 1 month later...
On 16/07/2022 at 21:54, Craig fae the Vale said:

Heard tonight that Rangers will be moving to Broadwood, as their average crowds have outgrown the Training Centre. 

Not heard this - but good news if true.  I'd also expect all clubs to attract more interest given how well received the Euros have been.

That's Rangers officially announced the move to Broadwood for the season, citing improved capacity and parking. Also announced the sale of season tickets. Both good things, but leaving it until five days before the season starts isn't the best of looks.

I've bought a Glasgow City season ticket for myself this year, they were the club that go me into women's football, so thought I'd give them some support. Should be an exciting season, with the split giving us hopefully loads of meaningful games.

I'm glad they have moved. I'm really excited about the season ahead and also hoping City and Rangers progress in the Champions League too.

I'm really impressed by some of the signing teams have made so far this summer.

I'm also a City season ticket holder and will be there for most games.

Rangers announced Kathryn Hill as captain after Brianna Westrup departure. I am sure she will be a great captain as is a big supporter of the club, but I am a bit surprised at that, Nicola Doherty was vice-captain last year, so thought she might have been given the armband considering she was consistently a high performer..

3 hours ago, lau03143 said:

Rangers announced Kathryn Hill as captain after Brianna Westrup departure. I am sure she will be a great captain as is a big supporter of the club, but I am a bit surprised at that, Nicola Doherty was vice-captain last year, so thought she might have been given the armband considering she was consistently a high performer..

Aye, I was a bit surprised to see that announcement, but judging by social media, all the Rangers players adore Hill. 

My City season ticket arrived today, really looking forward to the season kicking off on Sunday. Think it'll inevitably be between the three full time teams for the title and Champions League place. Feel Celtic will be closer to Rangers and City this year, and also think City will be a wounded dog after losing out on the title for the first time in 15 years. Should be an excellent season.

So we kick off on Sunday.

SWPL1
Celtic v Hibernian 16.10 @ Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie (Live on BBC Alba)
Dundee United v Motherwell 16.00 @ Gussie Park, Dundee
Glasgow City v Spartans 13.00 @ Petershill Park, Glasgow
Hamilton Accies v Aberdeen 16.00 @ New Douglas Park, Hamilton
Hearts v Partick Thistle 15.00 @ Oriam, Edinburgh
Rangers v Glasgow Women 16.00 @ Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld

SWPL2
Boroughmuir Thistle v Kilmarnock 13.00 @ Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh
Gartcairn v East Fife 14.00 @ MTC Park, Airdrie
Montrose v Stirling University 12.00 @ Links Park, Montrose
St Johnstone v Queen's Park 12.30 @ Riverside Stadium, Perth.

I'll be at Petershill for Glasgow City v Spartans, anyone else looking at taking in a game on opening day?

Glasgow City 7-0 Spartans Women 

City in menacing form to start the season. A hat trick from Clare Shine the highlight, great to see her back to her best, a true inspiration on and off the pitch.

Obviously it'll come down to the games against Rangers and Celtic in the end, but a marker laid down as City look to regain The SWPL title.

20220807_130136.jpg

Took in the United Motherwell game today. 

I've no idea of the standard outwith the Glasgow clubs but United certainly matched Motherwell. 

Well seemed a bit more savvy/Street wise and certainly pressured the ref more than I've ever seen at a women's football match. 

Overall a good game to watch, nice to see a decent crowd as well, 174 in today. 

On 05/08/2022 at 12:02, Craig fae the Vale said:

So we kick off on Sunday.

SWPL1
Celtic v Hibernian 16.10 @ Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie (Live on BBC Alba)
Dundee United v Motherwell 16.00 @ Gussie Park, Dundee
Glasgow City v Spartans 13.00 @ Petershill Park, Glasgow
Hamilton Accies v Aberdeen 16.00 @ New Douglas Park, Hamilton
Hearts v Partick Thistle 15.00 @ Oriam, Edinburgh
Rangers v Glasgow Women 16.00 @ Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld

SWPL2
Boroughmuir Thistle v Kilmarnock 13.00 @ Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh
Gartcairn v East Fife 14.00 @ MTC Park, Airdrie
Montrose v Stirling University 12.00 @ Links Park, Montrose
St Johnstone v Queen's Park 12.30 @ Riverside Stadium, Perth.

I'll be at Petershill for Glasgow City v Spartans, anyone else looking at taking in a game on opening day?

I was at the Rangers game for the 1st game on my season ticket with my daughter. Fantastic attendance of 720 for the game, I was expecting maybe 300 tops, so to have double my expectation was incredible. 

In terms of the game itself, it went the way I thought it would. It's something that expanding the league would bring, with a professional team against amateurs, it wasn't a credible game (which is not me criticizing the Glasgow players).

Standout player was Maclean for Rangers, almost everything went through her, and was a fantastic performance.

On the other games, I was expecting both City and Celtic wins, but Celtic hammering Hibs like that was not expected.

Can I just say how wonderful it is that we have professional teams in Scotland now. Had a conversation this morning with someone involved in the game. She mentioned that Jo Love once missed an away Champions League game because she didn't have enough annual leave to go, having used it all up to go on international duty with Scotland. It's definitely a good thing that that sort of thing shouldn't be happening again.

23 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Can I just say how wonderful it is that we have professional teams in Scotland now. Had a conversation this morning with someone involved in the game. She mentioned that Jo Love once missed an away Champions League game because she didn't have enough annual leave to go, having used it all up to go on international duty with Scotland. It's definitely a good thing that that sort of thing shouldn't be happening again.

It's fantastic, and proof for me against the naysayers... if you give minority sports, or the like a platform and room to grow, then people will engage.

The growth of the women's game in general and looking at Scotland in particular, it's a massive upward trend. If you think in just about three years, Rangers have went from crowds of about 30 at New Tinto Park (where it was hit or miss them even taking gate money) to 720 at Broadwood, it's incredible. First picture is from Sunday there, other one was against Hibs in early 2019.

Such a growth area, and something the top premiership teams should start embracing more 

20220807_160234.jpg

Screenshot_20220807-183245_Instagram.jpg

Edited by lau03143