Woman finds wads of cash, hands it in

I worked in a laundry years ago and as i walked past one of the tumble driers i thought i caught a glimpse of a €50 note spinning around. Sure enough there were loads of them in it going round and round. 
Turns out it was my own bag of washing that the boss let us dry in the machine. The wife had left her €800 euro in her housecoat pocket. They were nice and clean and dry though.

Taking money laundering a tad too literally.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Yes, it isn't. They now ask you if you wish to leave your name so if claimed the owner can leave reward.

Cash, certainly, is handed to charities after a set amount of time.

Sorry, misread this. Are you saying if you hand in money you've found to the police, and nobody claims it, that you won't get it back after 3, 6 months or whatever?

Just now, welshbairn said:

Sorry, misread this. Are you saying if you hand in money you've found to the police, and nobody claims it, that you won't get it back after 3, 6 months or whatever?

Yes. It's handed to charities now.

42 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One of my mates (now ex mate as he fell out with our group of friends after getting into a fight over how best to cook stovies) once found a bag of money down an alleyway in Glasgow. He had gone to have a piss behind a bin after Caley had played Celtic. He kept it and spent it all, I think there was about £300 in it.

When I was in sixth year at school someone in my year found £200 hanging out of a cash machine with no-one around. He kept it and spent it on a new pool cue. Later that week he was listening to Moray Firth Radio when they had a sad story about a pensioner who had lost some money she’d been saving up to buy a special present for her granddaughters birthday. He obviously didn’t feel bad as he kept the pool cue. What was some old biddy going to do with it anyway?

Hit him over the head with it...

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:
I worked in a laundry years ago and as i walked past one of the tumble driers i thought i caught a glimpse of a €50 note spinning around. Sure enough there were loads of them in it going round and round. 
Turns out it was my own bag of washing that the boss let us dry in the machine. The wife had left her €800 euro in her housecoat pocket. They were nice and clean and dry though.

Taking money laundering a tad too literally.

Thank you.  I was really pissed off that after almost an hour no one had done a money laundering joke.  This place is going to hell.

Spending too much time on this moral quandary that's unlikely to occur, but I think I'd grab the loot and scarper home, then return the next day and discreetly find out if some old fool had dropped his/her life savings, and if so equally discretely return it. If not it's Vegas baby! I think there would be near zero chance a hardened criminal would keep a watch out in case a random member of the public found their stash in a supermarket car park.  

My father in law did the Pools at Timex. He'd put the money in a big brown envelope and then send my brother in law (about 12 at the time) down the town to hand it into the Pools office. Of course, Gordon left the money on the bus. He returned home in a helluva state, tears and snotters but not nearly as bad as my FiL absolutely shiting it at the thought of what the workers at Timex would do to him. He rushed down to the bus depot to find them counting out the money in the inspector's office.  Lucky. Another 5 minutes and it probably would have been divvied up. 

50 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Yes. It's handed to charities now.

Well that's progress.  There was probably a time when some Royal Perogative indicated that such abandoned articles would automatically be deemed the property of the Crown.

I guess the Queen isn't do hard up nowadays.

I found a tenner doing my paper round circa 1978 and trousered it. An old guy came out of his house where I'd found it the following morning, casting quizzical looks in my direction. That would have been a fair chunk of his pension back then. 

Felt bad about it for years, so when my son (aged about 11) and his pal found a purse stuffed with about £300, it was handed in to the Polis. A few years ago now and I cannae even mind if it was even claimed. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

To not hand it in is a crime.

However, one of my former colleagues was an ex-Policeman. His advice was to hand it in at a Police station some distance from where you found it and to be vague about it (eg "one of the streets in the west end of Paisley, I'm not that familiar with the area"). Hand it into, say, Govan and, according to him, because they have other things to do they generally wouldn't contact the station nearest to where you said you found it.

3 months later, if unclaimed, the item/money is yours.

Theft by finding, also thats a lot of shite as found property goes to a central sorting place and is searchable. You can reclaim the money for a period of time after that it goes to the cashback for communities fund i think. 

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

My girls.found a purse outside our flat in Paisley so we took it to local police station and handed it in. Got my middle one to give her name.

Couple times money been left in cash machine at Asda and have handed it to customer services.

Asda are quite regular about reporting thefts of people taking the money left in cashmachines. 

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Does anyone know why this is the rule? And why the polis don't just hold onto it, is it to get folk to hand stuff in?

I remember being at school and we have the community polis in talking about even 1p shouldn't be picked up, I imagine if you tried to hand in spare change everytime you saw it they would quickly lose patience with you.

The reward or keep the money after 3months is to encourage people to do the right thing. Most of the bigger sums people find belong to older people these days. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

You can claim it for a period of time (cant remember how long). 

When I was a baby my mum had taken loads of cash out for some reason, a few thousand pounds I think. Can’t remember what the money was for, maybe a house deposit. She left it on top of the car (f**k knows why) and drove away. Discovering the later money was lost and realising what she had done - she was absolutely devastated, in tears. Phoned Perth police station and it turned out a wee old man had found it and handed it in.

Recently I was out in Dunfermline and lost my pair of £100 Ray Bans. The next day I woke up hungover and was gutted when I realised they weren’t with me. Tried a few taxi companies, no luck. With one last roll of the dice, on the drive home I stopped by the bar I was in the night before and unbelievably some absolute legend had handed them in.

I once found 4 £50 notes floating in a puddle in the pishing rain in Wester Hailes at half 6 in the morning when I was working on the bins. Initially thought they were fakes, but they were kosher. Turned the heating up full blast and gave the 2 boys I was working with 1 each.