Woman finds wads of cash, hands it in

Heartwarming story here. Annie Skinner was leaving a supermarket in Swadlincote when she happened upon an envelope with £3900 in it lying in the car park. Rather than pocket the cash trustworthy Annie immediately contacted the police who traced the owner. The owner then gave Annie a substantial reward and she also got a box of milk tray.

Here’s Annie with the police

image.png.b345191554eac5f1d90aff4dcc4251a6.png

Well done Annie.

Have any P&Bers ever returned a large amount of money they could’ve kept?

Have any P&Bers ever lost a (completely legitimate) envelope full of cash only to have it handed in by an honest citizen?

Have any P&Bers seen my big envelope of cash? I dropped it somewhere.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Heartwarming story here. Annie Skinner was leaving a supermarket in Swadlincote when she happened upon an envelope with £3900 in it lying in the car park. Rather than pocket the cash trustworthy Annie immediately contacted the police who traced the owner. The owner then gave Annie a substantial reward and she also got a box of milk tray.

Well done Annie.

I can honestly say that I have. :) On the train a few years ago, sat down and noticed a wallet in the middle of the seats which was fairly thick with notes so I handed it to the conductor when he came round checking tickets. Never even crossed my mind to do anything else with it as it didn't belong to me.

Well done Annie.
Have any P&Bers ever lost a (completely legitimate) envelope full of cash only to have it handed in by an honest citizen?
Have any P&Bers seen my big envelope of cash? I dropped it somewhere.

There will be a lot of "dozy cow, I'd have kept it" responses and one I'd probably say myself. But I think if I found that much money I'd probably hand it in. If for no other reason than it's likely drug related and they could chase me for it [emoji38]

Pre-Covid I walked up to a Tesco bank machine and there was a wad of cash hanging out the machine. I took it and got my money. I then stood back from the machines and loitered to see if anyone came out. About 2 minutes later a young lassie came rushing out and it turned out it was hers. I gave her it and received an insincere sounding "thanks". I was pretty fizzing tbh. I never counted the money but from the thickness I'd guess it was comfortably over £200. I wasn't expecting a reward but if I knew her response was going to be like that I'd have pocketed it. Fucking boot.

I once went to a bank machine after someone who was taking a while. When he walked away about £300 come out the machine. I shouted "Mate, whats happening with this machine?" He said it was acting weird and never gave him the money he withdrew. I then said "This must be yours" with a cheeky wee grin and handed it to him.

H took the money and walked away. No thank you. No acknowledgement.

From that moment onwards I decided you can all GTF. Finders, Keepers.

My uncle dropped his wallet which had 100 quid in it at a petrol station, went back and nothing had been handed in so the guy checked the CCTV and it showed the guy directly behind my uncle see him drop it and put it straight in his pocket. They then watched him walk back to his car, took down his registration and contacted the polis. Wallet returned within the hour. It's things like that which make me think keeping things that aren't yours probably isn't a good idea. 

That said, if I found loose notes on the street under 50 quid I'd probably keep it. 

I worked in a laundry years ago and as i walked past one of the tumble driers i thought i caught a glimpse of a €50 note spinning around. Sure enough there were loads of them in it going round and round. 

Turns out it was my own bag of washing that the boss let us dry in the machine. The wife had left her €800 euro in her housecoat pocket. They were nice and clean and dry though.

I found $10 in the alley behind my old flat and gave it to the homeless guy who lived in a tent in the mechanic’s back yard about 100 yards away. Might have been his in the first place. He gave me one of the basil plants he sells at the Sunday market. So I got some free basil for a caprese sandwich. Quite happy with that. 

Edited by carpetmonster

To not hand it in is a crime.

However, one of my former colleagues was an ex-Policeman. His advice was to hand it in at a Police station some distance from where you found it and to be vague about it (eg "one of the streets in the west end of Paisley, I'm not that familiar with the area"). Hand it into, say, Govan and, according to him, because they have other things to do they generally wouldn't contact the station nearest to where you said you found it.

3 months later, if unclaimed, the item/money is yours.

My girls.found a purse outside our flat in Paisley so we took it to local police station and handed it in. Got my middle one to give her name.

Couple times money been left in cash machine at Asda and have handed it to customer services.

I recall someone shopping and when they got their change, it included a £100 note instead of a £10 note.  When they spotted the mistake, they went back to the shop and sorted it out.

Tempting to hold to it but actualy it was a young shop assistant who had made the mistake on her first day and she was sick to her stomach that it would be taken out her pay or she might be sacked.

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I once found a fifty quid note at my feet just outside the main stand at St Mirren Park. Never handed it in, went straight into the club shop with it and bought a Sellik tap’.

Bait GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

24 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

To not hand it in is a crime.

However, one of my former colleagues was an ex-Policeman. His advice was to hand it in at a Police station some distance from where you found it and to be vague about it (eg "one of the streets in the west end of Paisley, I'm not that familiar with the area"). Hand it into, say, Govan and, according to him, because they have other things to do they generally wouldn't contact the station nearest to where you said you found it.

3 months later, if unclaimed, the item/money is yours.

If you're going to go to all the hassle of that silly wee plan to try get it, you'd be as well just keeping it.

I've handed bank cards and wallets in before as they feel a bit personal and like you're actually robbing someone, but loose cash is mine. Losers weepers.

25 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I once found a fifty quid note at my feet just outside the main stand at St Mirren Park. Never handed it in, went straight into the club shop with it and they bought a player with it.

FTFY

I found a wallet lying in the car park of my last job. The guy had the same name as me, managed to track him down through a dentist appointment card. He thought I was taking the piss when he phoned me. No cash in the wallet, but he gave me a £10 reward anyway.

Which was nice.

Lost my wallet in pub on Saturday and never noticed until I went to pay bill in restaurant. Went back to pub and someone had handed it in. Only £20 in it but driving license and bank cards etc. The person that handed it in was not there so I gave barman £10 as I just wanted to thank someone. I wasn't looking forward to trying to replace the cards and driving license.