We Own This City

capt_oats

Already mentioned in The Wire thread but all episodes went up on Sky Atlantic last night so am diving in to this later.

David Simon, Jon Bernthal and a ton of familiar faces from The Wire - am absolutely here for this. 

The Watch podcast had George Pelecanos on the other day.

Watched the first episode and thought it was decent. Bernthal's accent threw me a bit at first but I guess that maybe is what a Baltimore accent sounds like?

Edited by Rodhull

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2022 at 10:03, Squalor Vic said:

Absolutely loved it. It'll suffer from wire comparisons probably but i thought it was excellent. Could definitely watch it as almost a 6th season. Great fun playing spot the wire actor too

Taken me until the 3rd episode to realise it was Marlo in the suit, amazing what a pair of specs and a wee beard does

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

Just on episode 3 and Marlo (Suiter) is speaking to a young cop in uniform about a gun shot call. The cop is only Duquan Weems! Sheeeeeettt!

E3565C99-961B-40F5-B2E6-E8C2C5ED06BB.gif

Edit - i’ll have to stop looking for the minor ex-Wire characters! Marla Daniels & Donut also spotted.

Edited by ArabGaz

We watched it over the weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but only criticism being that it probably could have done with another episode or two to flesh things out further. Was constantly mentioned how Jenkins was this visionary cop that knew the streets and how to speak to people to find leads, and then, almost no examples of it. In fact most of the time, the leads seemed to be coming from Jemell and his women. Just made me think that instead of being this brilliant operator that we were told about, Jenkins was really more of a sociopathic alpha male. Didn't make him any less interesting, but just a bit odd. Would have liked to have seen a bit more of the county police and how they helped develop the cases too.

Minor quibbles though, the acting throughout was excellent. 

Edited by J_Stewart

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed this. The delusions of Jenkins in that he was doing nothing wrong and his boys would back him up slowly unravelling was very buyable.

All of the actors were good though as said. It was a bit jumpy on the timeliness but I really enjoyed it.