• 1 month later...

There we have it - the blackout has been confirmed for the coming season.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/blocked-broadcasting-hours/

Someone needs the SPFL to clarify the extent of the agreement with Sky that stops clubs from streaming their own games. If it only covers the Premiership, imposing the blackout is a ridiculous attack on much-needed revenue streams for the lower league clubs.

20 hours ago, The Master said:

There we have it - the blackout has been confirmed for the coming season.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/blocked-broadcasting-hours/

Someone needs the SPFL to clarify the extent of the agreement with Sky that stops clubs from streaming their own games. If it only covers the Premiership, imposing the blackout is a ridiculous attack on much-needed revenue streams for the lower league clubs.

Live streaming itself is an attack on the much-needed revenue streams for the lower league clubs, that was only tolerated due to the circumstances of repeated, nonsense crowd restrictions. 

If you want to watch games, you go to them again. That's how live events work. 

31 minutes ago, virginton said:

Live streaming itself is an attack on the much-needed revenue streams for the lower league clubs, that was only tolerated due to the circumstances of repeated, nonsense crowd restrictions. 

If you want to watch games, you go to them again. That's how live events work. 

Nonsense. where ppv was available I paid full price for it and was happy to do so. For two years every team we have played has had money out of me that that they would never of had and will not now be getting. It also allowed me to watch every game, something I had not done in a long time

Factor in travel costs, time etc..live football is seriously not that much of a draw anymore. If the only option is go or don't watch then for me this is where regular watching ends for me.

Likely I will still manage through international subscription but that is a vastly reduced price to saints will get and a non existent revenue stream for the other clubs 

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

8 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Nonsense. where ppv was available I paid full price for it and was happy to do so. For two years every team we have played has had money out of me that that they would never of had and will not now be getting. It also allowed me to watch every game, something I had not done in a long time

Okay great. But for every person like you, there was a family buying one stream between them, or a 20 year old not buying a stream at all but using a chipped Fire stick to get their mates round with a slab of cans instead. Which is why clubs are not suddenly rolling in extra money after the tremendous success of live streaming for two years.

Factor in travel costs, time etc..live football is seriously not that much of a draw anymore. If the only option is go or don't watch then for me this is where regular watching ends for me.

Well tough. If you want to watch a live concert, you either pay a ticket or miss out. It's 2022, that's how the sector works again.

Putting Scottish football on a streaming platform against literally hundreds of thousands of alternative sources of entertainment - while clubs are guaranteed no revenue from the viewers - is not a sustainable business model. 

Likely I will still manage through international subscription but that is a vastly reduced price to saints will get and a non existent revenue stream for the other clubs 

It's not all about you though. 

Edited by vikingTON

There's also the natural extension that if East Fife games are allowed to be shown at 3pm, so too are Man Utd games and Real Madrid games and all the rest, which will have a very obvious negative effect on attendances.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's also the natural extension that if East Fife games are allowed to be shown at 3pm, so too are Man Utd games and Real Madrid games and all the rest, which will have a very obvious negative effect on attendances.

Man Utd games are covered by the English Premier League’s broadcasting contracts for the UK, which doesn’t provide for Saturday 3pm games being shown live. 

For foreign leagues, it would rely on the UK rights holders deciding to go to the effort of broadcasting the games along with geoblocking to prevent broadcast to England (or at least, customers with English postcodes). Given that Sky charge for that to happen on their platform, I can’t see it happening. 

It's a slippery slope in that direction though - as soon as it becomes a legal option it absolutely will be explored by broadcasters. It was only a couple of years back that Eleven Sports tried to broadcast Spanish football at 3pm even with the blackout in place.

What hasn't been clarified (as far as I can tell) is whether games that aren't at 3pm on a Saturday could be shown on PPV. Specifically the lower leagues as I assume the Sky deal excludes this for the Premiership, but does the BBC deal block it for the Championship and would L1 and L2 be clear to do so?