Musselburgh Athletic 2022/2023

On 31/07/2022 at 10:20, Passthebaw said:

Musselburgh 2-4 Crossgates 

A very disappointing performance from the new look Musselburgh. A goal up after 2 minutes, you'd have expected Musselburgh to settle into the game, however it was Crossgates who took control of large parts of the 1st half and into the 2nd. 

Most fans were perplexed by the back 4! A centre half playing right back, our new signing, Grinchy, playing left back, and a left back playing centre half! Add to that an ineffective midfield and lightweight forwardline enabled us to achieve what we deserved - nothing! 

2 away games now come up, both against title aspiring teams - maybe what's needed! Roll up the sleeves and show some passion! #montheburgh 💙

20220729_230613.jpg

Musselburgh started last season with a seven league match undefeated run. In contrast, the last seven league matches (yesterday plus last six of last season) saw one win and six losses. 

The difference is down to the complete change in the squad during the two periods and an obvious lack in confidence amongst current squad. Guys who were prepared to fight for every ball against any team. Now bereft of any apparent leadership on and off the park. From what PTB says, the manager doesn’t even know where his own players should be playing. If your back 4 is all at 6(ays) and 7(s), you know you are heading for defeat. 

I am not sure what our club’s aspirations are this season, whether it is to strive to top the league, remain in top half come end of season or just remain in the Premier league? What ever it is, you have to aim to win your home matches or you are in trouble. 

Tough match ahead on Tuesday away to Broxburn; where the best left back we’ve had since Brian Martin, (seven years ago) , is now an opposition player, and our top goalscorer from last season, is  also playing for the home side and who scored 2 goals on Saturday. When things come back and bite you in the........hopefully that won’t happen! 

Edited by Casey Jones

23 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Musselburgh started last season with a seven league match undefeated run. In contrast, the last seven league matches (yesterday plus last six of last season) saw one win and six losses. 

The difference is down to the complete change in the squad during the two periods and an obvious lack in confidence amongst current squad. Guys who were prepared to fight for every ball against any team. Now bereft of any apparent leadership on and off the park. From what PTB says, the manager doesn’t even know where his own players should be playing. If your back 4 is all at 6(ays) and 7(s), you know you are heading for defeat. 

I am not sure what our club’s aspirations are this season, whether it is to strive to top the league, remain in top half come end of season or just remain in the Premier league? What ever it is, you have to aim to win your home matches or you are in trouble. 

Tough match ahead on Tuesday away to Broxburn; where the best left back we’ve had since Brian Martin, (seven years ago) , is now an opposition player, and our top goalscorer from last season, is  also playing for the home side and who scored 2 goals on Saturday. When things come back and bite you in the........hopefully that won’t happen! 

All fair points, CJ. Tuesday's game is already huge, with added spice that Orru, Downie & Jeffries are now at Broxburn. #montheburgh

On 31/07/2022 at 22:56, Casey Jones said:

Sounds like your objective already this season is to have a new manager very soon 

3 hours ago, Slabs said:

Sounds like your objective already this season is to have a new manager very soon 

Next 5 days may be telling. Two tough away matches; tonight at Broxburn and Saturday at Linlithgow. On the positive, get 4pts out of 6 and the manager’s position strengthens. But, two losses and his position weakens again. No one at Burgh, committee, coaches, players and supporters like where we are at the moment. Get results and the fans will get behind the coaching staff, but I think short term at least that is a tall order.

You will know how good Greg Page was on Saturday, but he leaves close season from Burgh, to re-join Penicuik and gets MoM award in the 1st league match of season.

Then, another close-season departure at Olivebank, sees Darren Downie score two goals and I think, gets MoM for Broxburn. What I see, and happy for an Burgh fan to come on and say I’m wrong, is that Burgh allow good players to leave our club for better/equal teams and straight away, they are getting plaudits.  

Edited by Casey Jones

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Next 5 days may be telling. Two tough away matches; tonight at Broxburn and Saturday at Linlithgow. On the positive, get 4pts out of 6 and the manager’s position strengthens. But, two losses and his position weakens again. No one at Burgh, committee, coaches, players and supporters like where we are at the moment. Get results and the fans will get behind the coaching staff, but I think short term at least that is a tall order.

You will know how good Greg Page was on Saturday, but he leaves close season from Burgh, to re-join Penicuik and gets MoM award in the 1st league match of season.

Then, another close-season departure at Olivebank, sees Darren Downie score two goals and I think, gets MoM for Broxburn. What I see, and happy for an Burgh fan to come on and say I’m wrong, is that Burgh allow good players to leave our club for better/equal teams and straight away, they are getting plaudits.  

You have signed a few good ones aswell maybe just need time I agree you have also lost a few good ones time will tell

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Penicuik v Musselburgh in the Scottish Cup preliminary round.

Not the best draw for either club TBH.

What is it about Musselburgh and away ties in Scottish Cup toes? - this will be 4 out of 4 since 2020-21.

What is is about Musselburgh drawing Penicuik in Scottish Cup ties? Third season in the cup and 2nd out of 3 seasons away to Penicuik. This first in 2020-21 saw Burgh progress to next round. 

Agree with your comment though - one of toughest ties of the round. 

Broxburn 2-2 Musselburgh Athletic

A good point for Musselburgh tonight, but it should've been more. Hit the woodwork twice, finished the strongest and showed plenty of desire right from the off. New signing, DL, in goals, players in defence playing in their best positions, and the offensive players giving their all - a very enjoyable game played in good spirits. 

Musselburgh only used one sub too with Smith coming on for a tiring Murrell - a good sign that the manager liked what he saw and got a reaction after Saturday. #montheburgh 💙

40 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Broxburn 2-2 Musselburgh Athletic

A good point for Musselburgh tonight, but it should've been more. Hit the woodwork twice, finished the strongest and showed plenty of desire right from the off. New signing, DL, in goals, players in defence playing in their best positions, and the offensive players giving their all - a very enjoyable game played in good spirits. 

Musselburgh only used one sub too with Smith coming on for a tiring Murrell - a good sign that the manager liked what he saw and got a reaction after Saturday. #montheburgh 💙

Sounds like a complete turnaround from Saturday PTB, which is good to hear. 

8 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Musselburgh probably deserved to win it last night.  Controlled the first and last 25 minutes of the game with Broxburn the better team the 20 minutes before and after halftime.

Fair analysis. I thought it was a very good game. 

21 hours ago, RobM said:

It's not.

Should at least be a consideration Rob. Often think that manager’s are easily passed off as the only one to blame when things go wrong as players must have responsibility on the field. But think to the team we had pre-COVID and when Geordie was in situ. For me, we were top 3 - top 5 material. Skip onto last season and the nucleus of the team, albeit a couple of players getting to the end of their career, were still there. Then Donaldson, Evans, Whyte, Donaldson (missing a player I think) are allowed to leave during the season, followed by Downie, Orru, and more during the close season and supporters have got to think what the heck is going on! 

We also lose what appears to be a very young and upcoming coach who already had the respect of the players close season (2021-22) and we finish the season mediocre at best. 

1 point from 6,  when we should be looking at 4 from 6. Now if we go to Linlithgow, and get a win, my argument begins to go cold. But if we have 1 from 9, then I think Slabs has same thoughts as a number of fans at the club. 

Hopefully I am wrong Rob, and you are right....

Edited by Casey Jones

2 minutes ago, Number seven said:

Good result for Mussy at Linlithgow today.Nice to see an enthusiastic support coming through from the honest toon as well.

Was at the game! Good win for Musselburgh! But if I am honest Linlithgow we’re poor in the final 3rd and we’re wasteful in front of goal on another day they could have had 2 or 3!

On 03/08/2022 at 22:02, Casey Jones said:

Should at least be a consideration Rob. Often think that manager’s are easily passed off as the only one to blame when things go wrong as players must have responsibility on the field. But think to the team we had pre-COVID and when Geordie was in situ. For me, we were top 3 - top 5 material. Skip onto last season and the nucleus of the team, albeit a couple of players getting to the end of their career, were still there. Then Donaldson, Evans, Whyte, Donaldson (missing a player I think) are allowed to leave during the season, followed by Downie, Orru, and more during the close season and supporters have got to think what the heck is going on! 

We also lose what appears to be a very young and upcoming coach who already had the respect of the players close season (2021-22) and we finish the season mediocre at best. 

1 point from 6,  when we should be looking at 4 from 6. Now if we go to Linlithgow, and get a win, my argument begins to go cold. But if we have 1 from 9, then I think Slabs has same thoughts as a number of fans at the club. 

Hopefully I am wrong Rob, and you are right....

Casey Jones, I take it that’s your argument gone cold then?