Musselburgh Athletic 2022/2023

Guest Stevie 1969
26 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Not sure they "wanted it more" as Musselburgh had great momentum beforehand and you could see 1st half they were well up for things. 

I actually think the hasty triple substitution 2 minutes after the first goal and barely 15 minutes into the 2nd half hindered the home team!

On winning the league, I agree. Next year will see more of a push for the home side. 

I said at side of pitch I thought triple sub was very hasty.  So I 100% agree with you there. Think haws grew into game then were under pressure last 15-20 mins . But also haws looked dangerous on the break. Yep next season I think musselburgh could be contenders with a couple of signings they won't be far away. 

A last minute winner for Musselburgh away to Glenrothes on Saturday meant The Burgh were in the hat for round 2. The away side dominated the first half and should have been at least 3-4 up at half time, however an excellent equaliser from the home side in the 2nd half ensured a nail-biting end to a decent game.

A bumpy pitch did little for The Burgh's passing game but they played well first half against a lower division side, but a side going well, looking for promotion, so a welcome win for the visitors. 

FB_IMG_1678094363486.jpg

A fine away win for Musselburgh today against a disappointing Blackburn side. The Burgh made one enforced change from last week as on loan winger Khan replaced the injured Reid - and what a difference Khan made as he bagged a hat-trick! 

Musselburgh, like last week, were ahead at the break 2-0, however their dominance in the first half, like last week, was not reflected in the scoreline. They were made to suffer last week as they stuttered across the line, however this week it was different as they scored 4 goals in the 2nd half to Blackburn's solitary goal, courtesy of a penalty. 

A few excellent performances from The Burgh players, particularly Khan & Stevenson, and a nice boost to the goal difference to boot.

What was obvious to me today was how comfortable Musselburgh were on an excellent playing surface. Plastic, yes, but excellent nonetheless and perfect for Musselburgh's passing game. With a bench loaded with experienced players in O'Kane, Knox, Smith and King, Thomson & Reid to come back, the Burgh's gaffer, Liam Burns, must enjoy his dilemma in choosing his starting 11!

Next week sees a 7.45pm Saturday night kick off versus Broxburn on Groundhop Day - bring it on! 💙

Edited by Passthebaw

I was very impressed with Khan - was dangerous every time he got the ball and took his goals well, very composed. It was my first visit to Blackburn United and they were poor, maybe a very bad off day but Musselburgh certainly deserved the margin of victory.

With over 550 people in attendance at the final groundhopping game of the day, there was much anticipation of an evening match under the lights at Olivebank.

Many would have had the home side as strong favourites after their recent form, particularly last week, whereas Broxburn were struggling after some recent defeats. Musselburgh started with the same 11 as last week, but the subsequent performance was like "chalk & cheese" compared to 7 days earlier.

Massive credit and congratulations to Broxburn who ran out comfortable 4-0 winners, a scoreline that did not flatter them! Musselburgh's management must be scratching their heads at the way below par performance, and why?

We have 6 days to make up for last night's shocker as we welcome our local neighbours, Haddington Athletic, in a local derby, again under the floodlights. 7.45 pm kick off, Friday 24th March.

Another disappointing performance from Musselburgh tonight, but fair play to Haddington who battled hard and deserved at least a point. After last week's rout from Broxburn, who were beaten tonight, Musselburgh have hit a sticky patch after arguably their best performance of the season against Blackburn 2 weeks ago. 

Big name players have arrived recently, none of which have performed as consistently as expected. 

3 games now on the bounce away from home that may define the season. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any particular reason for Mussy friendlies to be at Ainslie Park lately? Works going on to Olivebank? I went by on the bus a couple of weeks ago and noticed a new fence along the back road meaning you can't see in.

41 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Is there any particular reason for Mussy friendlies to be at Ainslie Park lately? Works going on to Olivebank? I went by on the bus a couple of weeks ago and noticed a new fence along the back road meaning you can't see in.

New fence because the old one was susceptible to falling down with any strong winds, and the team are playing at Ainslie Park to try to protect the pitch  

On 07/07/2023 at 22:21, Passthebaw said:

New fence because the old one was susceptible to falling down with any strong winds, and the team are playing at Ainslie Park to try to protect the pitch  

Fair enough, cheers. Hopefully a successful season ahead. Plenty positives to take since the new gaffer came in. Hopefully a title winning season.