Champions League 2022/23

Coooombe

But former Liverpool striker Michael Owen does not think it is all doom and gloom.

Speaking on BT Sport, he said: "Liverpool's strength is that group of players who have been to the trenches and won together.

"That takes years of building. Why is everyone talking about a refresh?

"I think Liverpool have got enough. Looking through their starting XI, there's nobody out there better than their goalkeeper. Their right-back is unbelievable, the left-back too, Virgil van Dijk is probably the best in the world when he is on form. Ibrahima Konate is brilliant. The front five are brilliant.

"Darwin Nunez was the hottest striker around last year. Cody Gakpo was one of the stars of the World Cup.

"When they bought Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino they weren't £100m players, they weren't the best in the world at the time. Nunez could be anything, he could be one of the best in the world in five years."

20 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Am I the only one who thought Real playing YNWA over the tannoy was taking the piss, rather than the "classy" move all the pundits think it was?

Didn't watch but read about this today and immediately thought piss take. Clubs like Real Madrid don't get all misty eyed about how "special" Liverpool FC are. Absolutely pathetic from punditry to try and claim that's what would be happening. A routine beating with some goading on the side. Lovely. 

Real Madrid v Chelsea
Inter Milan v Benfica
Man City v Bayern Munich
AC Milan v Napoli

1 v 3 and 2 v 4 in the Semis. If the bald fraud is to win it, you would imagine he'll have overcome Bayern, Real and Napoli. A tremendously difficult run which would tbh, some achievement. 

On the other side, Napoli probably couldn't have asked for better. Lets have them winning it please. 

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Real Madrid v Chelsea
Inter Milan v Benfica
Man City v Bayern Munich
AC Milan v Napoli

1 v 3 and 2 v 4 in the Semis. If the bald fraud is to win it, you would imagine he'll have overcome Bayern, Real and Napoli. A tremendously difficult run which would tbh, some achievement. 

On the other side, Napoli probably couldn't have asked for better. Lets have them winning it please. 

Would be good to see 1 of Napoli, Inter, AC Milan or Benfica winning it but I think the only one with half a chance would be Napoli and I imagine they'll be more focused on getting the Serie A title over the line. 

Can't see Chelsea beating Real Madrid. Bayern v City should be interesting but I suspect City might sneak it (hopefully not though). 

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Would be good to see 1 of Napoli, Inter, AC Milan or Benfica winning it but I think the only one with half a chance would be Napoli and I imagine they'll be more focused on getting the Serie A title over the line. 

Can't see Chelsea beating Real Madrid. Bayern v City should be interesting but I suspect City might sneak it (hopefully not though). 

Tbf to Napoli, they have so much in the bank in Serie A that they can surely afford to prioritise both. 

25 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Great draw. It guarantees a different team in the final while still providing some interesting ties. Obviously Napoli ftw but a Milan derby in the semi-final would be class. 

How do you figure? Could be Real Madrid v AC Milan, who have, what 16 or 17 titles between them? Or Chelsea v Inter, who have both won it in recent memory? It'll only be a different team if Napoli or Benfica, who haven't won in in yonks, get to the final. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

How do you figure? Could be Real Madrid v AC Milan, who have, what 16 or 17 titles between them? Or Chelsea v Inter, who have both won it in recent memory? It'll only be a different team if Napoli or Benfica, who haven't won in in yonks, get to the final. 

I'd say 13 years without a final for a team in that side of the draw makes them different. 

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'd say 13 years without a final for a team in that side of the draw makes them different. 

Fair enough, just to me someone different would be like when Porto played Monaco, or if someone like Shaktar or Schalke got to the final.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

People writing off Man City a bit quickly, think that will be a great tie.

Hopefully Napoli win the entire thing.

Who is writing them off? I've seen them described as favourites in a fee places and even folk who think Bayern will go through have mostly said it'll be a tough one to call. 

20 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Fair enough, just to me someone different would be like when Porto played Monaco, or if someone like Shaktar or Schalke got to the final.

The 2006 final was the first I remember watching so I've only seen AC Milan in one final and Inter in another, so it's really just an age difference. 

36 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Who is writing them off? I've seen them described as favourites in a fee places and even folk who think Bayern will go through have mostly said it'll be a tough one to call. 

I was going through my Twitter feed and most people were saying city were gonna get knocked out and I confused it for things I’d seen in this thread.

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Inter have only been in one European Cup/Champions League final in 50 years, I think they have to count as a different team in the final.

I'm willing to accept all four of those clubs on that side of the draw being a bit different from, becasue even AC Milan have become relative diddies in recent years. The pool of clubs able to reach those latter stages has in general been tightening up to a few "super clubs" over the last wee while. 

Napoli were the only one of them anyone would have picked to reach this stage, but even then probably only after seeing them looking awesome burying Liverpool in the very first match. 

• 4 weeks later...

Really looking forward to the Man City game tonight. The English media are now in full flow wrt Grealish the club mascot.
Apparently he is now “brilliant”, in “scintillating form” and is now a key player for Man City.
God know what superlatives they need to describe Mahrez who is many times the player that the wee sand dancer will ever be.

Fancy Bayern to control matters tonight, but with Le Freak Haaland on the park, who knows.