Champions League 2022/23

Coooombe

25 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

The Conference League is fine for what it is and as a Thistle fan I wouldn't suggest any European competition is worthless, but the Champions League in its current incarnation is an abomination and I can't honestly believe any Scottish football fan would believe otherwise. 

Why would being a Scottish football fan have any bearing on that opinion? The CL is a practical irrelevance to 40 of the 42 SPFL clubs and all of them below that setup. 

The only way in which the Champions League structure affects countries like Scotland is if a single club can monopolise entry and prize money to distort the domestic league. Celtic could and really should have managed this in the 2010s, but instead they hilariously appointed Neil Lennon and fucked it all up.

In order to prevent that from happening though, you would actually have to make it harder for diddy league champions to progress to the group stage. Even if they weren't going to get slaughtered, a Lithuanian champion progressing to the CL group stage would be a disaster for the domestic league. 

Edited by vikingTON

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League, sponsored by Heineken, Mastercard, and Playstation (among others) returns tonight, and I for one am aroused at the thought of this. Which games are we looking forward to watching? Personally I'll be steering clear of small teams like Maccabi Haifa, FC København, Celtic and Rangers and will instead focus my attention on the real traditional elite European franchises. You know who I'm talking about here. Your Chelseas, your Manchester Citys, your Paris Saint-Germains. The real heavyweights of the European game. Enjoy this bonanza of association football wherever you're watching from because it only comes around once a year. See you on the other side!

Edited by Fraser Fyvie