Champions League 2022/23

Coooombe

The draw for the Champions League Preliminary Round has taken place today (yes, already), with two semis to be played on the 21st June and the final to be played on the 24th June. All ties will be played in Iceland. 

Levadia Tallinn (EST) vs Víkingur Reykjavík (ISL)

La Fiorita (SMR) vs Inter Club d'Escaldes (AND)

The winner of the final will qualify for the Champions League 1st Qualifier and the three losers will drop into the Conference League 2nd Qualifier.

Tough draw for both Levadia and Víkingur as they'll fancy themselves as the strongest teams in the draw. 

From a coefficient point of view, here is the lay of the land. This year's results count towards the 24/25 season

FUpey0nXwActukw.png.18a6acc933d2538a9dfa18aff76cf1b7.png

Places 52-55 mean you need to go through the preliminary round, places 51-55 mean you only have 3 teams in Europe (unless Liechtenstein are in the bottom 5, which would mean P50 also only gets 3 teams).

Estonia look safe in their hunt for a 4th space after Flora Tallinn made the conference league groups last season. San Marino are pish and will occupy bottom spot for eternity. It could be interesting if Andorra and Iceland pick up some points though as they're both well in the hunt for that 4th European spot. Andorra will be delighted at drawing the San Marinese gang, and Iceland will be hoping that Víkingur's home advantage will see them through. 

Edited by Coooombe

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon strike deal to get first pick of Tuesday night games from 2024. BT to cover all other games live. BBC will bring a highlights package back to cooncil telly with a programme on Wednesday nights at 10pm

Awaiting the European Super League announced for season 24-25 meaning the BBC have just spunked a load of public dosh on some half arsed Eurpoa League job with only Champions from diddy countries and Newcastle

Ma pal says the referee in the Malmo game tonight was the worst she's ever seen. Managed seven bookings and sending off in the first half for a game she said "felt like a friendly"

Now gutted there isn't a highlights package for me to see what she was on about

12 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Ma pal says the referee in the Malmo game tonight was the worst she's ever seen. Managed seven bookings and sending off in the first half for a game she said "felt like a friendly"

Guess who the ref for the second leg is?

Spoiler

John Beaton :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to stick Linfield's game on seeing as they were a goal up heading into the away leg.

3-0 down and a man sent off before even 25 mins had elapsed.

Lovely.

ETA: 4-0 as I clicked post :lol: 

Edited by RawB93

22 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Decided to stick Linfield's game on seeing as they were a goal up heading into the away leg.

3-0 down and a man sent off before even 25 mins had elapsed.

Lovely.

ETA: 4-0 as I clicked post :lol: 

IMG-20201107-WA0006.jpg.e303aa65b6425f500d4d08c055272915.jpg

Just now, Virtual Insanity said:

Huge result for Zalgiris stuffing Rangers riders Malmö 3-0. Shame it counts for f**k all in the grand scheme of the shite qualifying system. 

It guarantees them group stage football.

11 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

They're now one of the top 24 champions in Europe, and they still have to play 2 more rounds to get into the group stages with Tottenham. It's shite and a token group stage spot in the fucking Conference League as a fall back is nonsense. 

Who says that it is a token group stage spot? How many Lithuanian sides have competed in Europe until Christmas, since becoming an independent state?

I know for a fact that in countries with a stronger historical track record but pretty gubbins performance today, the national media are thrilled by the prospect of group stage football in any European competition (and the guaranteed revenue that this brings in). Smaller countries on the continent viewed the Europa League with a regard that didn't exist here - and there's nothing to suggest that the Conference League isn't doing the same.

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Who says that it is a token group stage spot? How many Lithuanian sides have competed in Europe until Christmas, since becoming an independent state?

I know for a fact that in countries with a stronger historical track record but pretty gubbins performance today, the national media are thrilled by the prospect of group stage football in any European competition (and the guaranteed revenue that this brings in). Smaller countries on the continent viewed the Europa League with a regard that didn't exist here - and there's nothing to suggest that the Conference League isn't doing the same.

I haven't really heard many people in real life deriding the Conference League. It's a great improvement on the comps they had before.

Only really hear it criticised by English Premier League fanboi types.

Same pople that thought the Nations League was laughable.

The Conference League is fine for what it is and as a Thistle fan I wouldn't suggest any European competition is worthless, but the Champions League in its current incarnation is an abomination and I can't honestly believe any Scottish football fan would believe otherwise.