Glasgow & District Saturday Morning League

mcruic

It seems this league will be folding, so there will only be 24 amateur leagues (16 winter and 8 summer) affiliated to the SAFA, with all clubs either moving to new leagues, or stopping playing altogether.

Currently trying to collect all the results for the 2021-22 season (going to make another attempt at adding amateur clubs to my existing Scottish club ranking), but it's proving to be quite a task due to the haphazard nature of their website, and the fact they've deleted their Twitter account.  If anyone can help, please let me know.

I'd like to see a better structure for the central belt amateur leagues - there seems to be quite a lot of odd geographical quirks at the moment.

This is the (former) Strathclyde Saturday Morning Amateur League - they've just dropped the Strathclyde part as it didn't reflect their membership.

Some GDSM clubs will join this league (it's the only other Saturday Morning league in the area) - not sure what the others will do - move to afternoon football, go out of business, or move to Sundays?

8 minutes ago, mcruic said:

This is the (former) Strathclyde Saturday Morning Amateur League - they've just dropped the Strathclyde part as it didn't reflect their membership.

Some GDSM clubs will join this league (it's the only other Saturday Morning league in the area) - not sure what the others will do - move to afternoon football, go out of business, or move to Sundays?

There's the Glasgow Colleges League as well that covers a similar area. Hopefully most of the teams find a solution.

The Glasgow District Saturday Morning League has/had a sort of 2021/22 Facebook page:

www.facebook.com/GDSML/

Looks like a victim of a lack of volunteers to run the league? Covid won't have helped either.

One of their clubs made it through to the 5th Round of the Scottish Amateur Cup this season - MTK Holytown. Five reached Rnd 3 of the West of Scotland Amateur Cup.

• 5 weeks later...

It's named itself the "Saturday Morning League" - they thought the name Strathclyde was a relic from the previous century (I'm not sure what their reasoning was, as Strathclyde is the former region that covered pretty much the area the league covers).  It seems slightly weird to me to not have a geographical descriptor in your league name if it covers a restricted geographical area.  A league in Paisley calling itself "the amateur league" would be odd.

Edited by mcruic

On 07/06/2022 at 13:55, Crazy Feet said:

Quite a few decent clubs have moved over to the newly named Strathclyde Morning League. Looks like a strong pool of teams they have for the upcoming season.

It seems they applied and were accepted way back in February/March - so they must have known the league was coming to an end.