Wales v Ukraine

Lex

2 hours ago, Raidernation said:

You really, really hate Scotland don’t you.
(Statement not question)

Is it because thistle are shite and you also are an inadequate human being, or just bitter at your well deserved Covid relegation?

Oh dear! You have some anger issues there.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, but the real barometer of recent years has been the inspid performances against the Czech Republic and Croatia, and the Ukraine performance was straight out of that mould.

Scotland had been underperforming for so long that any improvement would risk becoming over-hyped and so it is proving.  Yes, we are in a better place than we were but we are still some way and several positions short of being a genuinely competitive and consistent international side.  Such as the Welsh for example.

So the only barometer is the matches we lost?

Even for Scotland fans that an exceptionally negative outlook! It's like Wales saying the only match that mattered was their 6-1 defeat to Serbia.

Currently, since their first attempt in 1950 Wales are qualifying for a world cup on average every 38 years. Continuing with this record would mean they match Scotlands qualification record in 266 years (assuming we never qualify again in that period).

To match our head to head record they would need to beat us 38 consecutive times without response.

Qualification is a great achievement for them, given their team is a bit shit and their manager is in court on domestic abuse charges. I don't see them doing much in the world cup but still a great achievement to get there. Gotta root for the small overachieving nations (we have been one too most of our history).

I don't think they are currently doing anything much better than us. They have no domestic league to speak of really and outsource player development in its entirety to the English league system (something we could do and might benefit from - but it isn't exactly helping Ireland right now). And for me it's clear our squad is actually stronger than theirs.

So if you're naval gazing considering why we don't do as well as Wales maybe consider the first paragraph.

The ball is round, we underperformed and deservedly lost versus Ukraine, that happens in football sometimes, victories aren't always panaceas and defeats aren't always apocalypses. I haven't seen any of the Wales game due to timezone issues so can't comment.

I would be willing to beat Scotland will qualify for the next world cup ahead of Wales. What good players they have are getting on a bit and we have a stronger squad in almost all areas (as you would expect given our size and development).

34 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Currently, since their first attempt in 1950 Wales are qualifying for a world cup on average every 38 years. Continuing with this record would mean they match Scotlands qualification record in 266 years (assuming we never qualify again in that period).

My Celtic cousins, I must say I'm dismayed by the harsh negativity towards my country. I always supported Scotland during major tournaments (never England) but the comments I've read on here have disappointed and surprised me.

Like the Republic of Ireland fans, you were apparently content when Wales was finishing in the bottom two, and failing to qualify. Our success has clearly thrown your own considerable limitations and failures into sharp relief.

We may have qualified for one World Cup to your eight, but we got to the quarter finals in 1958 and were knocked out by the eventual champs, Pele and Garrincha's Brazil. As Gazza once joked, the only Scotsman in the second round of a major tournament is a referee. 

Oh and by the way, if you think the wheels will fall off when the Great One retires, think again. We have some remarkable young players at clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Cardiff, etc., on the way, in addition to the ones in the current squad, and the millions from qualification will no doubt be invested in grassroots. 

Now quit with the hating. Cymru am buth!

5 hours ago, Raidernation said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png
Projecting much?

You are the one who ranted on about Covid and Thistle, then a personal attack on myself. What relevance have they to the topic of the Scotland national team?. You are the one who needs to look in the mirror here. 

8 hours ago, Satoshi said:

So the only barometer is the matches we lost?

Even for Scotland fans that an exceptionally negative outlook! It's like Wales saying the only match that mattered was their 6-1 defeat to Serbia.

To match our head to head record they would need to beat us 38 consecutive times without response.

Qualification is a great achievement for them, given their team is a bit shit and their manager is in court on domestic abuse charges. I don't see them doing much in the world cup but still a great achievement to get there. Gotta root for the small overachieving nations (we have been one too most of our history).

I don't think they are currently doing anything much better than us. They have no domestic league to speak of really and outsource player development in its entirety to the English league system (something we could do and might benefit from - but it isn't exactly helping Ireland right now). And for me it's clear our squad is actually stronger than theirs.

So if you're naval gazing considering why we don't do as well as Wales maybe consider the first paragraph.

The ball is round, we underperformed and deservedly lost versus Ukraine, that happens in football sometimes, victories aren't always panaceas and defeats aren't always apocalypses. I haven't seen any of the Wales game due to timezone issues so can't comment.

I would be willing to beat Scotland will qualify for the next world cup ahead of Wales. What good players they have are getting on a bit and we have a stronger squad in almost all areas (as you would expect given our size and development).

Scotland's improving and the next Euros would be a good chance to make a Finals again.

However, to suggest that Scotland has currently got better players and a better squad than Wales cannot be justified in any way. Their reserves only lost 2-1 in Poland the other day. The 1st team just made the World Cup Finals. That older players such as Bale were influential cannot be ignored but the overall squad is young and knows how to get results/is difficult to beat. 

14 minutes ago, Dev said:

Scotland's improving and the next Euros would be a good chance to make a Finals again.

However, to suggest that Scotland has currently got better players and a better squad than Wales cannot be justified in any way. Their reserves only lost 2-1 in Poland the other day. The 1st team just made the World Cup Finals. That older players such as Bale were influential cannot be ignored but the overall squad is young and knows how to get results/is difficult to beat. 

Once Bale goes, they’ll be (at best) what we’ve been for the last 20 years - perennial also-rans. At worst, they’ll be back to being the ultra-diddies they were before Bale turned up.

I’m not saying they don’t have any other good players - Ramsey has been a great player, and Ben Davies is also an outstanding defender - but they have nothing that can replace Bale’s influence. It’s not like utter shite like Daniel James will be dragging them through games in the way that Bale has. 

4 minutes ago, Venti said:

Is he Fúck...

Utter passenger carried by teammates.

This is quite possibly the worst opinion I have ever seen on here.

Which Wales teammates have carried him? He has been an absolute superstar for them over the last 7 or 8 years, more or less single-handedly dragging them through to tournaments and to the knockouts of those tournaments.

Even at club level, he's scored the winner in a Copa Del Rey final against Barcelona, a goal that was practically the winner in a Champions League final and then a double in another Champions League final.

Edited by craigkillie

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is quite possibly the worst opinion I have ever seen on here.

Which Wales teammates have carried him? He has been an absolute superstar for them over the last 7 or 8 years, more or less single-handedly dragging them through to tournaments and to the knockouts of those tournaments.

Even at club level, he's scored the winner in a Copa Del Rey final against Barcelona, a goal that was practically the winner in a Champions League final and then a double in another Champions League final.

Was that the one in the Mestalla when he ran round a defender whist off the pitch?

2 hours ago, Dev said:

I'm basing it on the rampant mediocrity of their players at club level. Which is clearly not as strong as the Scotland team.

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

I'm basing it on the rampant mediocrity of their players at club level. Which is clearly not as strong as the Scotland team.

Yet, they're far better than us when they play for Wales.  It's just the way it is, brother.

One advantage Wales has had over Scotland has been that all of their players are based in English or continental leagues' Even if they don't look outstanding there they are playing at a highly competitive standard compared, in the main, to those who are SPFL based.

That's quite a gap to bridge and I cannot see how that can easily be remedied without sending out promising players on loan to England or to continental clubs so they gain experience.  

On the other hand maybe someone can unearth a Bale equivalent or a few near that level?

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yet, they're far better than us when they play for Wales.  It's just the way it is, brother.

They have played more or less as a club team since the late Gary Speed became the Manager. That may be one of the most important factors. That is something which can be done or is being done now in Scotland, depending on your point of view.

24 minutes ago, Dev said:

One advantage Wales has had over Scotland has been that all of their players are based in English or continental leagues' Even if they don't look outstanding there they are playing at a highly competitive standard compared, in the main, to those who are SPFL based.

That's quite a gap to bridge and I cannot see how that can easily be remedied without sending out promising players on loan to England or to continental clubs so they gain experience.  

On the other hand maybe someone can unearth a Bale equivalent or a few near that level?

In what way is the Scottish Premiership less competitive than English League 1?