Wales v Ukraine

Lex

Fair play to Wales, some achievement for a rugby country of their size to get to a World Cup. More than a bit jealous tbh, their fans must be buzzing.
They finished above Czech Republic to get second in their qualifying group and have then beat Austria and Ukraine. They had a bit of luck but no extra time needed, never mind penalties. They’ve made it on merit.
Compared to us and our pathetic performance the other night there’s three obvious differences that stand out.
Firstly, they’re clearly a better coached side than us. They’re organised, disciplined and each player knows their job. No tactical disasters or selection mistakes for them. If Rob Page ever leaves Wales I’d love to him manage Scotland one day. He knows how to win big games.
Secondly, Ben Davies. He’s clearly a top defender and you can see why he plays week in week out for Spurs. He made an unreal amount of blocks and tackles tonight, our centre backs are a midfielder and Grant Hanley.
Thirdly, and obviously, the world class operator Gareth Bale. He’s just the ultimate big game player, he scored the two against Austria and he’s either scored or set that one up tonight, you just know he’s going to deliver when it matters. You could make a good case for him being the best British player of all time. What he’s done for club and country is simply phenomenal. Previous top British players have made legendary achievements for one or the other, not many have done it for both. He’s basically taken what was a footballing minnow to three major tournaments out of four, by himself. If only we had someone like him.
They’ve made it out the group stage of the last two Euros, and I fancy them to make it out that group in Qatar too. Another tournament sitting at home watching them in what could have been our place. While they sing that fecking take me home song, FFS 🫣

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

I stand corrected. But a country with only 4 actual top class league clubs they still put us to utter shame.

I mean, that isn’t exactly a slight on them and famously works in their favour. They essentially outsource youth development to English clubs and their two clubs who have English league money.

Edited by Fratelli