Belgium 🇧🇪 u21s v Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 u21s

Glenn Middleton to get caps 23 and 24. That would put him above Craig Easton as the highest number of u21 caps without a senior appearance*.

*Assuming that Campbell gets a cap this month.

Beyond that, anything positive from this game would be welcome. The squad is hugely inexperienced, and there are few-to-none knocking on the door of the senior side.

Would be good to see how Lowry copes, and see if anyone else can stand out. There is some early potential, but nothing like the best of recent years.

Middleton's out of these squads. I don't think Campbell will get capped this month, anyway, but might eventually. 

Anyway, here's the team:

Watching the u21s always seems like a good idea until I'm miserable after 10 minutes. 

That's been a whole lot better than I expected. A much more proactive style, good pressing high up the park which is not giving the opposition as much time on the ball as they expected, I'm sure.

Plenty to be happy about.

First time seeing Anderson and he looks like a really good combo of physicality and technical ability which we don't even have in the senior team. It doesn't turn to shit when the ball goes into the forwards - what a concept! Barron's been good too but the BBC were probably inadvertently correct in showing a bunch of missed shots pre-match. 

I don't like the backline but they're missing their first and second-choice wing-backs. 

Obvs we want to see Lowry but I think Anderson's in his position?

Haven't watched todays game but Elliot Anderson is a fantastic prospect. Absolutely smashed league 2 last year with Bristol, expect him to go on loan to Championship next season if he isn't in Newcastle first team plans. 

You never know how a young player will pan out as lots of factors involved but at his current level he shows frightening ability. Next season should be a great chance to see which way he will go. Fingers crossed

Lost their way a bit in the second half, but didn’t hugely struggle defending. It’s certainly better than I’ve seen in a while, and that’s with a very inexperienced side.

We had a few chances and didn’t take them. A goal was chalked off for a harsh foul from a corner.

Hopefully, a six-team group in the next qualifiers and an opportunity for some of the squad to kick on a bit.

11 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Scot Gemmill screaming for the players to take the ball to the corner in a game where we're already out is peak Gemmill era u21s.

Maddening!

Barron was the best player on the park - Aberdeen could have themselves a player there.