Season 2022-23 and who will finish where?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump

Nearly at the midway point in the campaign. 

Looks like the majority of predictions that the Paisley Saints will finish in the bottom 2 places look way off the mark.

The only thing that looks decided so far is the league winners, everything else is a lottery. 

Screenshot_20221225-204758_Chrome.jpg

30 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Bump

Nearly at the midway point in the campaign. 

Looks like the majority of predictions that the Paisley Saints will finish in the bottom 2 places look way off the mark.

The only thing that looks decided so far is the league winners, everything else is a lottery. 

Screenshot_20221225-204758_Chrome.jpg

I’m pretty confident on who will finish 2nd  

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

I hadn't noticed who was second. 

I couldn’t give a fcuk who is first or second. I know it will be two certain clubs, and I genuinely could not give two hoots which one finishes first, and which one finishes second.

In fact, this last week marked a tipping point for me. I was actually pleased that Aberdeen clarted their nappy against both arse cheeks. Aids St Mirren’s chances of actually finishing third. Until now, I’d always cheer for the diddy to defeat the ugly. No more. What’s the point? They are gone, long gone…. twenty points better off than third, thirty points better off than third, a hundred points… doesn’t matter any more.

Sad, but it’s a fact. If the ‘Old Firm’ rogering a St Mirren rival aids St Mirren’s chances of finishing the best we possibly can (third), then fine by me. It’s genuinely sad, but there you go.

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I couldn’t give a fcuk who is first or second. I know it will be two certain clubs, and I genuinely could not give two hoots which one finishes first, and which one finishes second.

In fact, this last week marked a tipping point for me. I was actually pleased that Aberdeen clarted their nappy against both arse cheeks. Aids St Mirren’s chances of actually finishing third. Until now, I’d always cheer for the diddy to defeat the ugly. No more. What’s the point? They are gone, long gone…. twenty points better off than third, thirty points better off than third, a hundred points… doesn’t matter any more.

Sad, but it’s a fact. If the ‘Old Firm’ rogering a St Mirren rival aids St Mirren’s chances of finishing the best we possibly can (third), then fine by me. It’s genuinely sad, but there you go.

St Mirren third? Suppose someone has to be.

St Mirren have earned the right to be in the discussion, but their away record says there's pretty much no chance they finish third.

I think maybe top 6. Leaning towards yes, but it'll be tight.

Four of their next five are away from home, and you'd expect them to drop back a bit during that run. Said the same a few weeks ago after they beat United at home, then sure enough, they went and lost at Hibs and Ross County.

Edited by VincentGuerin

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Sad but this sums it up perfectly. The difference now between those two and the rest is such no team can really compete against them. The best we hope for is not to lose heavily or scrape a draw or catch them on a good day like saints did at Perth a few weeks ago.

21 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

St Mirren have earned the right to be in the discussion, but their away record says there's pretty much no chance they finish third.

Four of their next five are away from home, and you'd expect them to drop back a bit during that run. Said the same a few weeks ago after they beat United at home, then sure enough, they went and lost at Hibs and Ross County.

We’re certainly in the mix - with games in hand too. Look at the run Ross County went on last season to make Top 6, so anything could happen. I see no reason to believe anything other than everyone is pretty well matched, and the league (where it now only really matters to me - 3rd to 12th, and is truly competititive) will remain tight as a gnat’s chaff to the bitter end.

Edited by pozbaird

26 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't actually think Saints can finish top 6 with the away form as it is. Of our 17 games to the split, 10 are away (including both OF teams) and one of our home games is Celtic, and even with our good home form you'd have to expect that's probably a draw at best. We've got games against Well, United, Killie, Saintees and Livi in that 10, and whilst I don't expect us to win all of them, if things go as they have been and we get turned over in each of those games I'd say we have no chance of top 6. Got to be 7-9 points at least, which we won't get on current away form and for our home form to hold up of course.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

I don't actually think Saints can finish top 6 with the away form as it is. Of our 17 games to the split, 10 are away (including both OF teams) and one of our home games is Celtic, and even with our good home form you'd have to expect that's probably a draw at best. We've got games against Well, United, Killie, Saintees and Livi in that 10, and whilst I don't expect us to win all of them, if things go as they have been and we get turned over in each of those games I'd say we have no chance of top 6. Got to be 7-9 points at least, which we won't get on current away form and for our home form to hold up of course.

I'm operating on the assumption that they surely can't continue with the massive disparity between home and away. Either their away form will pick up a bit, or their home form will drop off a bit. We'll see.

From what I've seen they look a decent side, and there's never much between the sides in the middle, but they can't finish third with that away record. As you say, top 6 even tricky.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm operating on the assumption that they surely can't continue with the massive disparity between home and away. Either their away form will pick up a bit, or their home form will drop off a bit. We'll see.

From what I've seen they look a decent side, and there's never much between the sides in the middle, but they can't finish third with that away record. As you say, top 6 even tricky.

Yeah, Livi away on Wednesday I suppose will be telling, never an easy place to go, but we've had the chance for a bit of a reset. If it's another limp 3-0 pumping then I think that will tell a lot about how the rest of the season is going to go.

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, Livi away on Wednesday I suppose will be telling, never an easy place to go, but we've had the chance for a bit of a reset. If it's another limp 3-0 pumping then I think that will tell a lot about how the rest of the season is going to go.

The home/away mini competition with Hearts in a couple of weeks too. At the moment you'd assume St Mirren would win the home game and get pumped in the away game. But that feels mad with the two teams playing twice so close together.

I've said on a few threads that we're still in that phase of the season where people read too much into the league table while the fixtures that have happened are still unbalanced. By 22 games we'll have more evidence to properly read into.

• 3 months later...
On 21/07/2022 at 16:15, ATLIS said:

Realistically here, in all events, we'll start shite and then just coast to a position where we think about Europe before narrowly missing out. 

Livi gonna Livi. 

Livi gonna Livi. About as predictable as it comes 

On 23/07/2022 at 19:08, RandomGuy. said:

Celtic/Rangers - Closer than last season but think Rangers will still be too reliant on Morelos so Celtic will knick it.

Hearts/Dundee United - Good squads that have been strengthened, and managers who are boringly effecient.

Motherwell/Aberdeen/Ross County - Wont be in any bother and will have spells of looking like world beaters and looking woeful. Managers will be enough to keep them clear of danger, but how new signings perform will decide how high they go.

Kilmarnock/St Mirren - One has a poor squad elevated by a good manager, one has a poor manager elevated by a good squad. Killie will be fine if McInnes performs, and if they improve the squad could push into the group above. St Mirren will be fine if Robinson lets his squad perform, if he doesnt theyll drift into the group below.

Hibernian/St Johnstone - Hibs have gone for complete unknowns, Saints gone for the most obvious signings. Both squads look lacking in major areas. Hibs will depend on how Johnson performs, a bit of an unknown but early signs arent great. St Johnstone finished 11th last season and look weaker across the board, heavily reliant on Carey/Murphy and Wotherspoon/Kane performing after long injury spells. 

1157773343_tenor(32).gif.77822c8d9c00b1da3b30b9661fd313af.gif