2022/23 UEFA Nations League

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

They did away with last man fouls being a sending off a few years back if they occur in the penalty box as it was felt that the triple jeopardy of a red card, penalty and suspension was overly harsh punishment.

This isn't strictly true - you can/should still be sent off if you don't make a legitimate attempt to win the ball.

On 07/06/2022 at 03:27, TheScarf said:

Haven’t most of their Euro 2016 squad retired from international football? I think a fair few of them have.

Iceland had a pretty nasty sex scandal too (not just Gylfi).

Not surprised they have reverted to bring rubbish again.

I don't think either Germany or England will be troubling the favourites at the world cup. It's still an average German side, over reliant on a currently misfiring Bayern Munich.

As for England, their players are just a bit meh and the penalty was a get out of jail free card. Reckon they will struggle when they face any good nation in a knockout game, a distinctly average Italy side ran them ragged in the Euros final - dominating every aspect of the match (said Italy side were dominated by Spain in the semis).

On their recent golden period the only good side they have managed to beat in a major tournament is Lows Frankenstein wingback Germany who barely got out of their group. Their current mob is better but not by that much.

21 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Iceland had a pretty nasty sex scandal too (not just Gylfi).

Not surprised they have reverted to bring rubbish again.

I don't think either Germany or England will be troubling the favourites at the world cup. It's still an average German side, over reliant on a currently misfiring Bayern Munich.

As for England, their players are just a bit meh and the penalty was a get out of jail free card. Reckon they will struggle when they face any good nation in a knockout game, a distinctly average Italy side ran them ragged in the Euros final - dominating every aspect of the match (said Italy side were dominated by Spain in the semis).

On their recent golden period the only good side they have managed to beat in a major tournament is Lows Frankenstein wingback Germany who barely got out of their group. Their current mob is better but not by that much.

Who are “the favourites” though? The South American sides have flattered to deceive on the world stage for nearly twenty years, Italy’s recent results seem to suggest that last summer was just a great run of form, and Belgium look like they are in decline now.

Like most tournaments since 2014, this will be won by a decent team which catches a run of form rather than anything special. England/Germany could well be among those. 

20 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Who are “the favourites” though? The South American sides have flattered to deceive on the world stage for nearly twenty years, Italy’s recent results seem to suggest that last summer was just a great run of form, and Belgium look like they are in decline now.

Like most tournaments since 2014, this will be won by a decent team which catches a run of form rather than anything special. England/Germany could well be among those. 

Well Italy aren't even in the tournament so we can discount them.

For me the favourites would be the superb Argentina side, the French side who have the strongest squad (by far imo) followed by Brazil and Spain (Spain had the best performance of the Euros against Italy and have some of the best young players in the world).

Could be England or Germany, but not as good as the above for me.

Argentina didn't quite flatter to deceive when they hammered European champions Italy at Wembley.

So far 8 England fans arrested including 3 for making nazi salutes. Nasty bunch.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Who are “the favourites” though? The South American sides have flattered to deceive on the world stage for nearly twenty years, 

They didn't 'flatter to deceive' in the cases of Argentina/Brazil: they were just shite owing to clowncar management (Maradona's team) and/or shite players (Hulk for Brazil).

Those issues have been addressed now so I'd consider them on a level - if not above - the pack of European sides that are all flawed in at least one significant way right now. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

They didn't 'flatter to deceive' in the cases of Argentina/Brazil: they were just shite owing to clowncar management (Maradona's team) and/or shite players (Hulk for Brazil).

Those issues have been addressed now so I'd consider them on a level - if not above - the pack of European sides that are all flawed in at least one significant way right now. 

European sides have won 19 of 24 knockout matches against non European sides in the last four world cups. I’ll believe Argentina or Brazil will win another World Cup when I see it. 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

European sides have won 19 of 24 knockout matches against non European sides in the last four world cups. I’ll believe Argentina or Brazil will win another World Cup when I see it. 

The last World Cup was fully four years ago now and SA teams have barely played European sides since - even in friendlies. 

It would be utterly foolish to write off Argentina and Brazil given a piss-poor version of Argentina reached the final just two tournaments ago. 

Very strong attacking display from Belgium to score 6 Vs Poland (who only fortuitously went ahead through some wonderful Lewandowski improvisation). They will be a tough side to beat in the nation's league or world cup.

I don't think it's a brilliant Dutch team but they were fairly comfortable from what I saw. Reminded me of Germany Colombia 1990, the south Americans toying with them all game and when Germany scored in the 88th minute Colombia quickly equalised (as if they could have done it whenever they wanted). Recently deceased Fredy Rincon with the goal.

Scotland should certainly be aiming for 6 points against this dire Ireland team and stand an ok chance Vs Ukraine in a fight for top spot.

I wonder if there will be Wales fans in 18 months time moaning about how they fucked up the Nations League by celebrating qualification too much, or will they just be fucking normal like most countries?
And we only fielded a B team. None of the players who started against Belgium, started against Wales.

Give or take a few teams regressing to the mean, the pots for the Euro qualifiers could look a bit more unusual than normal this time around. Some of the teams will have never been in as high a pot before or at least very rarely.

Pot 1: Austria, Hungary stick out currently. Maybe one of them will hang on to pot 1.
Pot 2: Could end up with a 40/60 split of good/relatively average teams.
Pot 3: Pot 3 could have a massive difference between the top and bottom of the pot.
Pot 4-6. Fairly similar to what you'd normally expect. One League B team will fall to pot 4. Kosovo and Luxembourg continuing their rise.

The best league D teams gets a play-off spot if 13+ teams in any league (i.e. League A) qualify automatically.

I also wonder what will happen with the Iceland, Israel & Albania group. They're at a significant disadvantage with two less games to gain points relative to the other League B teams for the play-offs. Normally they'd remove the points of the bottom team in the group for everyone else but i don't see any mention of that this time around.

Euro2.thumb.jpg.c44085e2d6ac3bad33a357c9dd6f8162.jpg

Edited by charger29