2022/23 UEFA Nations League

I think Argentina will win it, as mentioned the European teams aren't in great form
Plus Messi will have won the big one after years off being hounded for his performances with the national team.
Plus be funny to read the Ronaldo fan boys have a meltdown on twitter that Messi has eclipsed him. That's my hope anyway,

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've missed this. Where is this being suggested?

Surely there would be significant travel logistics in having home and away games against South American teams in a relatively short double header window? Home game v Ukraine on a Saturday followed by a trip to Peru on the Tuesday?

See the source image

13 hours ago, red23 said:

watching the Ukraine game the Wales defenders, particularly Ben Davies, were like men possessed, blocking every shot, getting a diving foot on any goalward bound shot. We don't have that at the moment and that's the difference. Whether that dies off when Bale retires or not remains to be seen but a few moral destroying losses should help get them back where they belong. 

I don't think Giggs is their manager anymore...

Already relegated, essentially a friendly and the last game before the World Cup. Southgate decided he really needs to see what Harry Kane can do and not to see if Ivan Toney can offer anything. Such a bizarre way of doing things. Think England might get a reprive if the South Americans come in though. Expanded League A with 6 from South America and groups of 5 or 6.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Already relegated, essentially a friendly and the last game before the World Cup. Southgate decided he really needs to see what Harry Kane can do and not to see if Ivan Toney can offer anything. Such a bizarre way of doing things. Think England might get a reprive if the South Americans come in though. Expanded League A with 6 from South America and groups of 5 or 6.

I think they might still go down.

If they were wanting 24 teams in league A, then you’d have 4 groups of 6 (or 6 of 4). With the existing League A sides, the promoted B sides and 6 from South America, you need to give 2 ‘relegated sides’ from 4 a reprieve. Both Austria and whichever of the Czechs or Swiss finish bottom of their group will definitely have more points than England do, so would surely get that reprieve.

47 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

If they were wanting 24 teams in league A, then you’d have 4 groups of 6 (or 6 of 4). With the existing League A sides, the promoted B sides and 6 from South America, you need to give 2 ‘relegated sides’ from 4 a reprieve. Both Austria and whichever of the Czechs or Swiss finish bottom of their group will definitely have more points than England do, so would surely get that reprieve.

Don’t overlook UEFA’s ability to fudge the numbers to keep England up. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Don’t overlook UEFA’s ability to fudge the numbers to keep England up. 

Think TV revenue will see Donathan proved right.

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If the expansion to 24 proceeds they'll probably institute relegation playoffs in March 2024 e.g. Austria v Czech Rep and England v Wales.

There are already Division C relegation playoffs scheduled then.

It’s not impossible that they go to 32 is my thinking. Would be poor but I can see it happening.

Those playoffs would be predicated on none of those nations being in the euro playoffs which seems like a long shot as they’ll all be in pot 2, so pretty likely one of them would miss the direct spots. 

I can't see any circumstance where they go to 32 teams, it would require a wholesale redesign of their qualifying structure since it would mean there was an 8 team Nations League finals (an issue in itself) and none of the teams in them could play qualifiers in June.

The only way I could see it happening is if the Euros go to 32, but that seems to have been ruled out for now.