2022/23 UEFA Nations League

15 minutes ago, Lex said:

Are the bigger nations that arsed about the nations league? I mean France are the World Cup and Nations League holders at the moment.
I doubt them and Germany and the like will be losing any sleep over this tournament.
It’s useful for the smaller countries as a back door route to qualification and to improve seedling positions. For the bigger countries who are going to qualify for the proper tournaments anyway, it’s just a load of glorified friendlies.

Looking at the Dutch games, we clearly use them as friendlies. Against Belgium we had the strongest team out and were properly motivated, but that's a big derby for us, so we'd always be up for those games. Against Wales, none of the players who started against Belgium were in the starting XI. Van Gaal clearly wanted to use the game to let the second string show what they can do.

"France don't care about the Nations League because they're the Nations League holders" is some world class logic, I must say. 

Well someone’s got to win it. What’s in it for the countries like them?

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

"France don't care about the Nations League because they're the Nations League holders" is some world class logic, I must say. 

They are so good they could probably win it without caring all that much about it. I really don't think they will be too worried about drawing with Austria, they have Mbappe and the ballon d'Or elect in their attack.

Agreed that Deschamps is a pretty average coach though, he has one more tournament left in him. Will be sad to see it end like it did for Low, hope Zidane is free when the job becomes available.

Are the bigger nations that arsed about the nations league? I mean France are the World Cup and Nations League holders at the moment.
I doubt them and Germany and the like will be losing any sleep over this tournament.
It’s useful for the smaller countries as a back door route to qualification and to improve seedling positions. For the bigger countries who are going to qualify for the proper tournaments anyway, it’s just a load of glorified friendlies.

If they can survive in League A without needing to put maximum effort in to every game then they will do.
None of the bigger nations have been relegated yet. If one of them get relegated and feel the impact of lower quali seeding, maybe they would take it a bit more seriously.
When the S.American teams come in for 2024 (?) that might change the entire format again.

3 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Needed cheering up after that performance in Dublin and right on cue the Italian national anthem kicks in. That'll do!

Heading to Italy two weeks on Monday, nothing to do with the Nations League, just love going to Italy 

Norway v Sweden earlier on was a good watch. Norway deserving their 3-2 win with the King watching from the stands.

Watching Spain v Czech Republic just now. Spain 1-0 up at HT and have been the better side but the Czechs have created some chances and aren't out of it.

Really enjoying this international window and the variety of games on show.

On 11/06/2022 at 15:20, charger29 said:

None of the bigger nations have been relegated yet. 

To be fair the first edition of the Nations League had 3 team groups in League A and so big nations would have been relegated but they then expanded League A to 4 team groups. Some bigger nations will get relegated this time round*.

*unless they expand it again...

To be fair the first edition of the Nations League had 3 team groups in League A and so big nations would have been relegated but they then expanded League A to 4 team groups. Some bigger nations will get relegated this time round*.
*unless they expand it again...

The latest rumours do seem to involve the expansion of the NL again (alongside a reduction of games in the main Euro & WC qualifiers). Nothing concrete yet though.

28 minutes ago, charger29 said:

The latest rumours do seem to involve the expansion of the NL again (alongside a reduction of games in the main Euro & WC qualifiers). Nothing concrete yet though.

There's also the deal between UEFA and CONMEBOL to apparently allow South American countries to enter the Nations League which may or may not happen. The Finalissima was one aspect of that and that happened so who knows...

There's also the deal between UEFA and CONMEBOL to apparently allow South American countries to enter the Nations League which may or may not happen. The Finalissima was one aspect of that and that happened so who knows...

Yeah, the rumour I was talking about was related to that:

https://m-nieuwsblad-be.translate.goog/cnt/dmf20220609_97220430?_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl&_x_tr_pto=wapp

6 teams per group (in A anyway). 16 european + 6 S.American teams. They'd possibly save two teams from relegation in this edition to give a total of 24.

Took in France 0-1 Croatia tonight. Croatia were superb in closing the game out in the last 10 minutes. Their use of the ball was superb. Outwith the final 10, they looked more threatening to get a second goal. France huffed and puffed but had little quality middle to front. Rabiot is a bad player.