Cove's next manager..

Cove's next manager  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If anything it's a harder challenge. Abroath train in Perth so can attract players from the north/east of the country but also have guys from away down in deepest darkest Ayrshire. Assuming budgets are about the same there's no way guys are driving up from Stewarton to Aberdeen twice a week for training after a shift on the day job. There was a wee perfect storm of factors that has suited Arbroath the last three year or so and it wont be replicated elsewhere

Bizarre shout and definitely would be. Cove will have the same goals we do this year but he would be taking a step back to a virtually blank canvas in his perspective when he’s painted a pretty picture here that he’s been working on 6 years 

For a PT model we have it nailed

P&J's Paul Third article on potential candidates for our vacant managerial post is below;
Stuart Kettlewell
Jim McIntyre
Stewart Petrie
Barry Robson
John Robertson
John Hughes 
Petrie and the unproven Barry Robson are the only names that Interest me there.
Yogi is a never and I flat out refuse to add him to the poll! Jim McIntyre and Kettlewell in the no thanks section.
Robbo wouldn't give up his position at Caley surely?
Interested to see who the bookies quote as favourite. Nothing out yet as far as I can see 

Robertson is an interesting one. He obviously took a backseat at Caley for personal reasons but I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him want to get back into management. Robson is a gamble and Petrie is a no go in my opinion. The rest are all best avoided I’d say.

On 04/06/2022 at 12:23, CoveRangers1922 said:

Fingers crossed he's nowhere near our thoughts!

I'd put him in the Yogi, MacPherson, Duffy, Hopkin bucket. All had pass successes in some form but wouldn't feel progressive hiring any of them

Hopkin's "success" at Livi was down to Martindale and not him.

35 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I would be very surprised to see Robbo leave his sporting director role to go back into management. Stranger things have happened of course but I get the impression after the circumstances that led him to take time off before he’s not interested in managing again 

Robbo was on the Graham Spiers podcast a few months ago and pretty much said he'd be open to managing again if a suitable opportunity came up. The feeling I got was that it was very much the circumstances of the time between Covid and family issues that saw him step aside at ICT, rather than him deciding he'd never manage again. Looking at some of the other names he'd be a decent shout for Cove. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Robbo was on the Graham Spiers podcast a few months ago and pretty much said he'd be open to managing again if a suitable opportunity came up. The feeling I got was that it was very much the circumstances of the time between Covid and family issues that saw him step aside at ICT, rather than him deciding he'd never manage again. Looking at some of the other names he'd be a decent shout for Cove. 

An experienced and proven manager like Robbo could ease the transition and potentially drive us forward. We'll need someone to come in and hit the ground running with signings.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

P&J's Paul Third article on potential candidates for our vacant managerial post is below;
Stuart Kettlewell
Jim McIntyre
Stewart Petrie
Barry Robson
John Robertson
John Hughes 
Petrie and the unproven Barry Robson are the only names that Interest me there.
Yogi is a never and I flat out refuse to add him to the poll! Jim McIntyre and Kettlewell in the no thanks section.
Robbo wouldn't give up his position at Caley surely?
Interested to see who the bookies quote as favourite. Nothing out yet as far as I can see 

Why on earth would you be turning your nose up at McIntyre? He's won this league before, has a trophy under his belt at Ross County and has loads of top flight experience.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why on earth would you be turning your nose up at McIntyre? He's won this league before, has a trophy under his belt at Ross County and has loads of top flight experience.

The absolute disaster he presided over at Dens, has hopefully ended the chunts managerial career forever.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not sure, maybe I've just remembered / focussed on his last spell at Dundee. 

As you say did very well at Dunfermline some 10-15 years ago and at County 5+ years ago. 

What's he been doing the last 3 years, anyone know?

Not sure, maybe I've just remembered / focussed on his last spell at Dundee. 
As you say did very well at Dunfermline some 10-15 years ago and at County 5+ years ago. 
What's he been doing the last 3 years, anyone know?

Did he not set up his own coaching thing about a year ago? I know we passed him up for the job at least once, when we appointed Hopkin and I think he might’ve been interviewed before we appointed Kerr.

P&J reporting that "Candidates with experience of both the Scottish and English Premier League, as well as winning domestic competitions, have come forward."

- Not obvious if the above means playing or managing in those leagues 

Moorhouse also saying;

He told the club website: “I have been really pleased by the standard of the applicants. We obviously had a few names on our list but were open-minded about it and keen to see who might get in touch. Given the achievements of some of those who did, we have some real quality to choose from.

“The most important thing is getting this right, irrespective of how long it takes. That said, given the list of candidates, I am confident we are in a good position to tie it all up quickly enough to give the new manager the opportunity to plan properly for what will be a challenging campaign

24 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Stacking shelves in Asda.

23 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

On the dole.

Thought about so. Granted we're first time in the Championship so not exactly a beaming light of Scottish football but hoping we can attract someone with a bit more recent success.

6 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Hopkin's "success" at Livi was down to Martindale and not him.

Although that was due to him giving Martindale full charge of all transfers rather than anything on the pitch. By all accounts elsewhere though his recruitment at every other club has been pish.

352 with us was a masterstroke from him he's been unable to replicate elsewhere

3 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

The absolute disaster he presided over at Dens, has hopefully ended the chunts managerial career forever.

Thank you.

Can say that about a lot of managers at Dens, can't always be the managers fault, surely some of the blame has to go to whoever appoints these managers

1 minute ago, ecto said:

Can say that about a lot of managers at Dens, can't always be the managers fault, surely some of the blame has to go to whoever appoints these managers

Yeah, it's 50/50 guy appointing the clueless clowns, is a bit clueless himself.

Dens Park, Dundee, UK. 12th May, 2018. Scottish Premier League football,  Dundee versus Partick Thistle; Dundee managing director John Nelms applauds  his team Credit: Action Plus Sports/Alamy Live News Stock Photo -

Thank you.

Although that was due to him giving Martindale full charge of all transfers rather than anything on the pitch. By all accounts elsewhere though his recruitment at every other club has been pish.

352 with us was a masterstroke from him he's been unable to replicate elsewhere

Because he had exactly the right players to execute it which is kudos to Martindale.

I have no doubts his style of play would work elsewhere but you need to get the recruitment spot on. In your rise from League 1 to the Premiership did you really have any dud signings?