Neutrals going to the sjfa final

There's no doubt Auchinleck as a town has a great affection for the Scottish Junior Cup. I don't see that changing any time soon, and their domination of the competition could go on for a long time with no East teams in it and most of the teams at the top of the WoSFL also choosing not to enter it.

There's no doubt it is much better marketed at the moment than the South Challenge Cup, however the WoSFL has only had input into the running of the SCC for one year so far, so it'll take time for attitudes and approaches to change.

A national competition for tier 5 downwards or even tier 6 downwards would be excellent, however that's not going to happen next season, so good luck to whatever teams choose to enter the SJC next season.

24 minutes ago, glensmad said:

There's no doubt it is much better marketed at the moment than the South Challenge Cup, however the WoSFL has only had input into the running of the SCC for one year so far, so it'll take time for attitudes and approaches to change.

What changes are going to be made? from where I am sitting next to nothing is done to promote it properly by any of the 3 league (the west get some leeway due to only having input this season). Big changes are needed fast or it just becomes another competition that clubs play in.

The junior cup is the best known cup at our level because generations all over Scotland have known about its history for years so that's why the South challenge cup unless you are involved in the game most people have had never heard of it ,will it get to a stage where it will get to the same stature of the junior cup probably not as in the past the junior cup attracted thousands to its games and not just at the final where now big crowds like the way they used to be are not there anymore for obvious reasons. The junior cup has now dwindled down to no East teams wanting anything to do with the sjfa and a few West teams are the same and I think next season it may dwindle even further so that leaves Midland and North teams and how they think of the cup now who knows as they now become more associated with the highland league . In my opinion you may as well just hand the cup to talbot each season as there is no competition left in it. As for the South challenge cup I think it's going to take a bit of promoting to get fans interested in it even though it's got all the top teams involved fans just don t get excited about it like they used to do about the junior cup think the only way is a new national competition because while the junior and South challenge cups continue to be played then both are cancelling each out .

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

Talbot, the Real Madrid of Scottish non league football.

The Real Madrid of Ayrshire non-league football, maybe.

Non-league football elsewhere in Scotland has moved on over the last few decades.

Inverness, Ross County, Cove, Ferranti, Elgin, Peterhead, Edinburgh City, Bonnyrigg, Kelty, Annan. 

Nine of the 42 SPFL clubs have come from non-league in the fairly recent past. 

Just don't mention Gretna.

1 hour ago, wow-wee said:

The junior cup is the best known cup at our level because generations all over Scotland have known about its history for years so that's why the South challenge cup unless you are involved in the game most people have had never heard of it ,will it get to a stage where it will get to the same stature of the junior cup probably not as in the past the junior cup attracted thousands to its games and not just at the final where now big crowds like the way they used to be are not there anymore for obvious reasons. The junior cup has now dwindled down to no East teams wanting anything to do with the sjfa and a few West teams are the same and I think next season it may dwindle even further so that leaves Midland and North teams and how they think of the cup now who knows as they now become more associated with the highland league . In my opinion you may as well just hand the cup to talbot each season as there is no competition left in it. As for the South challenge cup I think it's going to take a bit of promoting to get fans interested in it even though it's got all the top teams involved fans just don t get excited about it like they used to do about the junior cup think the only way is a new national competition because while the junior and South challenge cups continue to be played then both are cancelling each out .

Also bear in mind that in recent years the former junior sides have pivoted to a situation where a cup competition - any cup competition - is no longer the crowning glory of a season that it previously was. The juniors were always an anomaly in that respect in that the cup represented being the best of the best, but until there's an all-encompassing non-league tournament that's no longer the case.

It's a lot more about final league positions now than it ever previously was - the status of the various cups have gravitated to the more usual position where they are nice to have but not the sine qua non of a successful season.

7 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Also bear in mind that in recent years the former junior sides have pivoted to a situation where a cup competition - any cup competition - is no longer the crowning glory of a season that it previously was. The juniors were always an anomaly in that respect in that the cup represented being the best of the best, but until there's an all-encompassing non-league tournament that's no longer the case.

It's a lot more about final league positions now than it ever previously was - the status of the various cups have gravitated to the more usual position where they are nice to have but not the sine qua non of a successful season.

Absolutely winning the league now is the main prize because of the pyramid the only thing that's keeping the junior cup going is money winning it is no longer up there because of the lack of teams involved. Talbot fans and players will revel in it because it's a cup and the money gained is still the biggest financial prize there is . Until those in charge can get one cup going I think the junior cup will continue to dwindle in numbers and the South challenge cup will become the norm.

9 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

Absolutely winning the league now is the main prize because of the pyramid the only thing that's keeping the junior cup going is money winning it is no longer up there because of the lack of teams involved. Talbot fans and players will revel in it because it's a cup and the money gained is still the biggest financial prize there is . Until those in charge can get one cup going I think the junior cup will continue to dwindle in numbers and the South challenge cup will become the norm.

I reckon the leagues always came second fiddle previously because clubs were battering their heads off a glass ceiling and the SJC was the only opportunity to test your real strength nationally. It's become more like a normal league setup where the league takes precedence over cup success due to the fact that there's actually something to aim for nowadays.

Edited by Hillonearth

My greatest time supporting Arthurlie was 1998 when we won the Scottish but with the implementation of the West League in the juniors (then the WOSFL) the lure around the Scottish and White and McKay West Cup were broken. We went to looking for a big games against some of the big Ayrshire teams to playing them every week (up until our relegation that was lol!!). The league became more important for me now more so with the East teams no longer being in the SJFA Cup. In fact as a non league cup the Strathclyde Demolition Cup has more riding on it. 

3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I reckon the leagues always came second fiddle previously because clubs were battering their heads off a glass ceiling and the SJC was the only opportunity to test your real strength nationally. It's become more like a normal league setup where the league takes precedence over cup success due to the fact that there's actually something to aim for nowadays.

And that's the way it should be all the years I've been watching the juniors the cup was the big prize your team could get relegated but if you had a good run in the cup it was a good season can remember many times when you won your tie the first thing on your mind was when is the draw and hoping for an away the for a day out . 

3 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

My greatest time supporting Arthurlie was 1998 when we won the Scottish but with the implementation of the West League in the juniors (then the WOSFL) the lure around the Scottish and White and McKay West Cup were broken. We went to looking for a big games against some of the big Ayrshire teams to playing them every week (up until our relegation that was lol!!). The league became more important for me now more so with the East teams no longer being in the SJFA Cup. In fact as a non league cup the Strathclyde Demolition Cup has more riding on it. 

5 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Was at the semi final at love street when you beat the buffs on penalties a crowd of over 8 thousand that evening but they are great memories of a cup that was great in its day.

The thing is nobody in Auchinleck will be giving a flying f**k what other peoples thoughts are about the Junior cup. It was a great day for families and weans. We were told the the SCS was the big trophy now so what do we do?  we win it. The league, well let other teams spunk a fortune on trying to win their way into a Legoland league, if we can progress into it and can do it within our financial means then so be it, but next season we are going to see much more money getting flung about, and if you fall into that trap then you are doomed.

To expand on Blackies point, absolutely agree progressing within your means is key here, we’ve seen teams like Gretna essentially come up from the same level we are all at now and implode in a spectacular fashion, seen Rangers die too due to mis-management. Theres a clear lesson, football teams dont make people money in Scotland, you’ve got to cut your cloth accordingly, no point destroying your clubs future for a season in the sun. 
Fair play to Talbot for their turn out yesterday, that was impressive. Also fair play to them for caring about the junior cup and all the rest. I do feel really strongly that the use of saturday’s for junior cup matches isnt fair on the clubs who aren’t in it and ultimately may be impacted by fixture congestion, it should be midweek or something next year or played when Scottish Cup ties are being played. I am absolutely baffled by the wosl providing the coverage on twitter they did yesterday for another associations cup (albeit yes there were Wosl teams in the final) when their own league cup semi was going on a few miles down the road and didnt even get a mention? I dont get that, if they don’t care about the KP cup then just bin it next year surely, especially if you’ve got teams taking a dive to get out of playing it?

Say what you like about the Scottish Junior Cup bit im sure every other junior/ex junior team would love to be in our shoes on sat.
It was a special occasion for Talbot and Yoker fans. Yoker played well and just ran out of steam the last 15 mins where Talbots fitness told. Not a great game but the amazing feeling you get wher your team wins another cup, you can't beat it nor get tired of the winning feeling.
Runners up in a very difficult league and double cup winners. [emoji471] what a season.